Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jimjimhurta

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 16, 2014
Hello I need an opinion, I currently have a Macbook(unibody) with 4GBs and a 120 OWC SDD and started using(experimenting with) apps like premiere and others, I want to upgrade to a new computer, I really wanted to get in to the mini trend, but :apple: killed the quad core, so resulting me in going in to a 2012 quad core(specs don't have to be high at first since I can upgrade later on), as for laptop I want either an 8GB MBA 11' with 128 SSD or a non-retina MBP 13' with later upgrades.

I think I am solid on the 2012 quad mini but i would like opinions
As for laptop I need help.

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
If you can grab a 2012 quad-core mini, go for it! It will be at least a year, and probably longer before it (may) get quad-core back.

The 13" non-retina MBP is due for extinction soon. Really, don't consider it unless you really need the built-in DVD drive. You didn't state your intended use for the notebook. If you are thinking video production for it as well, realize that the 2012 quad-core mini will be much faster than anything short of a 15" MBP (retina or a discontinued quad-core, used, older model).

Jimjimhurta

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 16, 2014
If you can grab a 2012 quad-core mini, go for it! It will be at least a year, and probably longer before it (may) get quad-core back.

The 13" non-retina MBP is due for extinction soon. Really, don't consider it unless you really need the built-in DVD drive. You didn't state your intended use for the notebook. If you are thinking video production for it as well, realize that the 2012 quad-core mini will be much faster than anything short of a 15" MBP (retina or a discontinued quad-core, used, older model).

Notebook would be for minor video, student work:homework, books, music etc. While Mini would be the work horse.
I only considered the non-retina's for the upgradability, they might be slower soon...

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
Notebook would be for minor video, student work:homework, books, music etc. While Mini would be the work horse.
I only considered the non-retina's for the upgradability, they might be slower soon...

Then I'd go with the 11" MBA if I could put up with the screen size. It's very convenient to carry around.

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Hello I need an opinion, I currently have a Macbook(unibody) with 4GBs and a 120 OWC SDD and started using(experimenting with) apps like premiere and others, I want to upgrade to a new computer, I really wanted to get in to the mini trend, but :apple: killed the quad core, so resulting me in going in to a 2012 quad core(specs don't have to be high at first since I can upgrade later on), as for laptop I want either an 8GB MBA 11' with 128 SSD or a non-retina MBP 13' with later upgrades.

I think I am solid on the 2012 quad mini but i would like opinions
As for laptop I need help.

If you plan on getting serious with Adobe Premiere, I'd go with a higher-end MacBook Pro (Intel Iris + NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M) or at least a Mac with just Iris Pro (low-end 15" MacBook Pro or mid-range 21.5" iMac). If you're going to keep your use with it casual, then the Intel HD 4000 in that Mac mini will be fine, but otherwise, you might find yourself constrained.

Jimjimhurta

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 16, 2014
If you plan on getting serious with Adobe Premiere, I'd go with a higher-end MacBook Pro (Intel Iris + NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M) or at least a Mac with just Iris Pro (low-end 15" MacBook Pro or mid-range 21.5" iMac). If you're going to keep your use with it casual, then the Intel HD 4000 in that Mac mini will be fine, but otherwise, you might find yourself constrained.

At the moment I'm at a budget of maybe 1000-1200 so I really considered the macbook Pro Non-retina because of the upgradability, I also considered the Quad Mini but one I would have buy off ebay and two both have Intel HD 4000, but as well as upgradability

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
At the moment I'm at a budget of maybe 1000-1200 so I really considered the macbook Pro Non-retina because of the upgradability, I also considered the Quad Mini but one I would have buy off ebay and two both have Intel HD 4000, but as well as upgradability

Again, it depends how serious you plan on getting with Adobe Premiere. You might be better off looking for the lowest-end Mid 2012 15" Retina (which would be a 2.3GHz Ivy Bridge i7 with the HD 4000 and the GeForce GT 650M) in Apple's "Apple Certified Refurbished Mac" section of their online store. You might be spending a little over-budget, but it'd be a fantastic deal and, realistically, any weaker of a machine would only be good for casual use.

Otherwise, if you're only using this thing casually, a quad-core mini isn't a bad idea. Those you can get refurbished from the same place between $500-600.

Jimjimhurta

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 16, 2014
Again, it depends how serious you plan on getting with Adobe Premiere. You might be better off looking for the lowest-end Mid 2012 15" Retina (which would be a 2.3GHz Ivy Bridge i7 with the HD 4000 and the GeForce GT 650M) in Apple's "Apple Certified Refurbished Mac" section of their online store. You might be spending a little over-budget, but it'd be a fantastic deal and, realistically, any weaker of a machine would only be good for casual use.

Otherwise, if you're only using this thing casually, a quad-core mini isn't a bad idea. Those you can get refurbished from the same place between $500-600.

yeah seeing as I am only started using Adobe, I went with the quad core Mini since the quad with help with the load as well as an SDD and more ram(soon). But would the the HD 4000 hold me back?

Jimjimhurta

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 16, 2014
It will when your Adobe uses become more advanced. For casual use, it'll be fine.

Sorry I'm Still learning the ropes for adobe, but can you give me a crash course on the limitations with HD 4000.

And whats your setup and what do you do?

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Sorry I'm Still learning the ropes for adobe, but can you give me a crash course on the limitations with HD 4000.

And whats your setup and what do you do?

I have multiple machines:

1. MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2012)

- 2.7GHz Quad Core Ivy Bridge Core i7
- 8GB PC-12800/1600MHz RAM
- 1TB Hard Drive
- NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M (with 1GB VRAM) and Intel HD 4000
- OS X 10.8.5

2. MacBook Air (13-inch, Mid 2011)

- 1.7GHz Dual Core ULV Sandy Bridge Core i7
- 4GB PC-10600/1333MHz RAM
- 256GB SSD
- Intel HD 3000
- OS X 10.10.1

3. MacBook Pro (17-inch, Mid 2010)

- 2.53 Dual Core Arandale Core i5
- 8GB PC-8500/1066MHz RAM
- 500GB Hard Drive
- NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M (with 512MB VRAM) and Intel HD Graphics
- Windows 8.1 Pro

I have other PCs of similar vintage with Windows 7, but unfortunately, they are not currently set up. I work in IT, but I've been known to dabble in video projects and play games (hence the 15" MacBook Pro listed here and in my signature).

If you're editing a home video or a very simple short film and you're not using too many post-production effects or if the projects you're working on are fairly simple, you shouldn't feel the limitations of the Intel HD 4000. If you start to get REALLY into Premiere or start using After Effects, Motion or other post-production software, you'll see slower playback and probably slower render times as well. Again, if you're doing this professionally, I'd recommend a faster machine. If you're just learning the basics, it'll be fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.