Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Anchovies2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 11, 2014
Just got this allegedly from Apple Service. Don't click people.

Alert APPLE of Policy Updates

http://images.apple.com/dm/misc/notification1/top.gif

Dear Customer,

Due to recent updates we are asking many of our customers to confirm their information this is nothing to worry about. We are making sure we have the correct information on file and that you are the rightful account holder. Failure to comply with this may result in your account being suspended.Once completed you may resume to use your account as normal and we would like to thank you for taking time out of your day to confirm your information.

Verify Now >

Wondering why you got this email?
This email was sent automatically during routine security checks. We are not completely satisfied with your account information and require you to update your account to continue using our services uninterrupted.

For more information, see our frequently asked questions.

Thanks,
Apple Customer Support
http://images.apple.com/dm/misc/notification1/btm.gif
TM and copyright 2014 Apple Inc. Apple Sales International, Hollyhill Industrial Estate, Cork, Ireland. Company Registration number: 15719. VAT number: IE6554690W.
All Rights Reserved / Keep Informed / Privacy Policy / My Apple ID
If you would prefer not to receive commercial email from Apple, or if you have changed your email address, please click here.

iamMacPerson

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2011
AZ/10.0.1.1
If I think an email looks like a scam, I always check the sending address. Who was the sending address on this email? TBH, it looks like an official Apple email.

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
If I think an email looks like a scam, I always check the sending address. Who was the sending address on this email? TBH, it looks like an official Apple email.
This is not reliable. The "from" addresses are super-easy to spoof. "Account verification" emails are almost always scams. Don't use links from emails your receive (anybody could have sent them). If in doubt, log in to appleid.apple.com (type it yourself). It will tell you if there is any need to "verify" your account.

PS: The bad grammar is another hint. :p

iamMacPerson

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2011
AZ/10.0.1.1
Sender: (copied and pasted)Apple service
When that is clicked up pops: server@palmas.com

Looks like a phish to me.

Most likely then.

This is not reliable. The "from" addresses are super-easy to spoof. "Account verification" emails are almost always scams. Don't use links from emails your receive (anybody could have sent them). If in doubt, log in to appleid.apple.com (type it yourself). It will tell you if there is any need to "verify" your account.

PS: The bad grammar is another hint. :p

Honestly, I have yet to find an address that was a good spoof actually. My grandma got an email to her AOL account that she needed to verify payment info (she's never used them for any sort of billing) and when checking the address, it shows "AOL Support" but with a spam address (I.e. Leslie@blahblah.com).

TBH, I didn't notice the grammar. With most people my mind just automatically corrects it. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.