Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zachlegomaniac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 20, 2008
I am selling my iMac tomorrow along with it's 1 TB of hard drive space. My MacBook Pro only has 128 of solid state. I want to make sure I keep all of my files from my iMac (outside of a physical backup). Should I increase my Dropbox or iCloud Drive space? Can I truly store all my files on iCloud Drive (such as my music library, which I burned from CDs), or do I need iTunes match as well for my music?

Thank you,

ZLM

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
iTunes Match is a good way to preserve your collection for only $25 per year. The downside is that it only stores music and not video.

You could consider buying a 1TB external hard drive and storing your library on that and pointing iTunes there for access.

I use a 3TB RAID array to store my iTunes library on.

zachlegomaniac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 20, 2008
iTunes Match is a good way to preserve your collection for only $25 per year. The downside is that it only stores music and not video.

You could consider buying a 1TB external hard drive and storing your library on that and pointing iTunes there for access.

I use a 3TB RAID array to store my iTunes library on.

If I do not have the music stored on a hard drive anymore (or simply on an external hard drive) will iTunes Match still work? For one year? As long as I pay the annual charge?

Thank you.

Also - The same goes for iCloud Drive. Do you need to have the files constantly syncing to a hard drive, or can I put my iPhoto collection on iCloud Drive, sell my iMac, and remotely access the files in the cloud as I would be able to with DropBox.

Essentially, are they basically the same service?

InsideTJ

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2012
If I do not have the music stored on a hard drive anymore (or simply on an external hard drive) will iTunes Match still work? For one year? As long as I pay the annual charge?

Yes, it will. It has been flakey over the years, with some songs refusing to download, but it has been pretty stable lately. I love it. But I still keep an offline archive.

edit: I also keep songs on google music. it allows downloads and is free for about 20k songs.

Thank you.

Also - The same goes for iCloud Drive. Do you need to have the files constantly syncing to a hard drive, or can I put my iPhoto collection on iCloud Drive, sell my iMac, and remotely access the files in the cloud as I would be able to with DropBox.

Essentially, are they basically the same service?

Yes, it is not a SYNC service, so you can delete the local copy and the iCloud copy will remain. I use it sparingly, it works like dropbox. I don't trust the reliability aspects (of any cloud service...use it as a backup, not the only copy), but I trust the privacy aspect of iCloud more than dropbox.

iCloud Photo Library, on the other hand, is a SYNC service. Delete the local photo, it deletes the cloud copy also.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.