Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mattww

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2008
Although I still really like the first Grid, Dirt 2 and love F1 2012 and then 2013 I'd held off on Grid 2 because I'd read the reviews and heard about the lack of a cockpit view.

Having downloaded it during the Steam free weekend to try however I ended up buying it with all the DLC within a few minutes!

It turns out the Bonnet view is actually quite acceptable and it's great fun in a similar way to the original.

I always play racing games with a force feedback wheel and turn the driver aids off. F1 2013 is my favourite game but I most enjoy playing through the full seasons in career mode so that does takes quite some time especially with the higher AI levels as you have to really learn the tracks and car setups so you can't just play for a few minutes.

Grid 2 is great because you can just jump in an out with the races and objectives being so short yet even against the AI it is genuinely frantic and fun.

Feral did a fabulous job once again with the port which runs silky smooth for me at 1440p. I did think I'd found a bug as the game kept changing back to the keyboard preset but I figured out this was because I was pressing the return key on the keyboard on the start screen and I need to press a button on the wheel (I tend to prefer using the keyboard for in game menus etc).

With some more improvement with graphics drivers in Yosemite and thankfully the Logitech ForceFeedback kext surviving the upgrade I'm not sure there has ever been such a good time to be a Mac racing game fan. Hope sales go well and we get to see F1 2014/2015 with the CodeMasters next generation engine and more sequels to Grid and Dirt.

lewdvig

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2002
South Pole
Excellent game, runs really well on Iris 5100 on low/720. Benchmark said 37 fps avg and 29 fps low. That's good enough for me on an Intel iGPU.

Janichsan

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2006
It seems the game has some glaring issues under Yosemite.

PAN6im1l.jpg

*rimshot*
*crickets*

Mattww

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2008
That's strange I've not seen any difference to Mavericks still runs fine...

Janichsan

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2006
That's strange I've not seen any difference to Mavericks still runs fine...
It strongly depends on the track how obvious that glitch is. Chicago (pictured) is apparently the worst, on others like the California track, you'll barely notice anything wrong.

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
It strongly depends on the track how obvious that glitch is. Chicago (pictured) is apparently the worst, on others like the California track, you'll barely notice anything wrong.

If only happens on specific hardware, on a couple of locations in the game due to a bug in 10.10, hopefully Apple will fix it in 10.10.1

Edwin

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Original poster
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
If only happens on specific hardware, on a couple of locations in the game due to a bug in 10.10, hopefully Apple will fix it in 10.10.1

Edwin

I heard of a few bugs over at the X-Plane.org site regarding 10.10 too (with X-Plane 10.. duh).

Must say my iMac (2013 model / 780M) hasn't shown any issues with any games running 10.10.. X-Plane 10, Grid 2, F1 2013.

madeirabhoy

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2012
https://www.humblebundle.com/

So, there's a chance to get Grid 2 (and several other games) for a really low price (depending on how much one wants to pay).

that is an excellent deal, probably the best humble bundle yet imho. alas i already have saints row IV, and bought GRID 2 on a steam sale just 2 weeks ago, haven't even played it. might stilll be worth at least the basic one as tesla effect and insurgency look good, and for 5 euro i also get blackguards.

if i buy it can i gift the games i have ?

someoneoutthere

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2014
Someplaceoutthere
It seems the game has some glaring issues under Yosemite.

Chicago track is BY FAR the worst. Speaking of other tracks, I don't have much experience since I am stuck at this Chicago event and can't go any further.

I have contacted FERAL support twice. Their responses are as follows:
"Please try the following to see if it resolves the issue:
- Open System Preferences
- Go to Energy Saver
- Disable Automatic Graphics Switching
Now launch the game again. You may need to reboot first before the changes are applied.
Please let us know if this helps. If issues persist, please await the first update 10.10.1 for OS X Yosemite, where we expect to see a graphics card driver fix." AND "We are still on constant communication with Apple about updates to the GPU drivers in OS X 10.10."

I have experimented with all the graphics settings, no luck.

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
Chicago track is BY FAR the worst. Speaking of other tracks, I don't have much experience since I am stuck at this Chicago event and can't go any further.

I have contacted FERAL support twice. Their responses are as follows:
"Please try the following to see if it resolves the issue:
- Open System Preferences
- Go to Energy Saver
- Disable Automatic Graphics Switching
Now launch the game again. You may need to reboot first before the changes are applied.
Please let us know if this helps. If issues persist, please await the first update 10.10.1 for OS X Yosemite, where we expect to see a graphics card driver fix." AND "We are still on constant communication with Apple about updates to the GPU drivers in OS X 10.10."

I have experimented with all the graphics settings, no luck.

Sorry to hear that, the problem is the graphical issue is in the graphics drivers for the specific series of card you have on your Mac in OS X 10.10. Sometimes you can work around an issue in drivers sometimes the problem is a little complex and might need a bug fix in the OS/drivers.

Rest assured we are super keen to get the game rendering perfectly again on all cards in 10.10, once we have a solution it will be passed on to everyone asap.

[EDIT] Looks like the next OS update from Apple (10.10.2) will include a fix for the bloom issue with the latest updated drivers. I don't know when it will be released however.

Edwin

Last edited:

KingCX

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2014
Hey guys, I just bought it yesterday, unfortunately, a horrible bug appeared. It seems like that some of the cars can not be running normally, such as the Zonda Revo and SLS AMG GT3. Everytime I use these cars for any track, any game mode, they would started to rotate at the starting line, then fly into sky,and then after several seconds, the game itself would judge it as a deadly crash and leads to the deadly crash menu. Meanwhile, any other AI racers who used same car as me, would act exactly same as my car, and they would all be displayed as retired on the race result list... I tried a lot of times to reinstall it or set up the different graphic settings, but still don't work at all..My laptop is a 2013 late version 13 inches Macbook Pro Retina with OS X Yosemite (10.10.1) system. Does anyone here has same kind of problem? Plz help me!!! I'm feeling so hopeless now...:(:(

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
Hey guys, I just bought it yesterday, unfortunately, a horrible bug appeared. It seems like that some of the cars can not be running normally, such as the Zonda Revo and SLS AMG GT3. Everytime I use these cars for any track, any game mode, they would started to rotate at the starting line, then fly into sky,and then after several seconds, the game itself would judge it as a deadly crash and leads to the deadly crash menu. Meanwhile, any other AI racers who used same car as me, would act exactly same as my car, and they would all be displayed as retired on the race result list... I tried a lot of times to reinstall it or set up the different graphic settings, but still don't work at all..My laptop is a 2013 late version 13 inches Macbook Pro Retina with OS X Yosemite (10.10.1) system. Does anyone here has same kind of problem? Plz help me!!! I'm feeling so hopeless now...:(:(

Not seen that exact bug reported before, I'd contact Feral and our support team can investigate.

Edwin

KingCX

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2014
Not seen that exact bug reported before, I'd contact Feral and our support team can investigate.

Edwin

Thx a lot dude!!! I'm feeling nearly desperate now... Plz contact me ASAP if u got some message back from them!Thank u !
my e-mail:kingcxisdope@gmail.com

Carl

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
Thx a lot dude!!! I'm feeling nearly desperate now... Plz contact me ASAP if u got some message back from them!Thank u !
my e-mail

I'd email them directly Carl and one of our support team can investigate the issue. Hopefully we can find out more information and help you out.

Edwin

KingCX

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2014
I'd email them directly Carl and one of our support team can investigate the issue. Hopefully we can find out more information and help you out.

Edwin

All right dude, if only u need something for investigate, just tell me,all right?Thx!

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
All right dude, if only u need something for investigate, just tell me,all right?Thx!

If we need any info our support team will definitely ask you for details. I hope they get you sorted soon.

Edwin

JaguarGod

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2010

Yes... This is happening to me also. Started when I updated the game.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.