Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hrv888

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 17, 2009
Someone is selling their iPad Air that they received as a gift to me. It's unopened and they don't have a receipt. My question is, when does the warranty starts on this iPad? Also can I still purchase apple care for it? I'm not sure when the purchase date or where it was bought. Anything I should look out for?

Thanks

Shinigami301

Suspended
Jun 5, 2010
cogito, ergo zoom.
Intentional or not your post sounds sketchy as all hell. No receipt or proof of purchase pretty much automatically says "stolen" whether true or not.

That, or you're buying a re shrink-wrapped box with a pound of plasticine where an iPad used to be.

Either way, Apple won't warranty or sell AC+ for anything that doesn't have a paper (electronic) trail to the original purchase.

(Now, if you said a "trusted friend" or "my cousin" in place of "someone" the whiff of stink with your post might be moderated away from the less savory possibilities)

Vudoo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2008
Dallas Metroplex
Type in the serial number on Apple's website and it will tell you when the warranty will expire. That will also determine if you can still buy Apple Care Plus.

hrv888

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 17, 2009
I'll check it on the website for the warranty then. I know some sketchy people do replace the ipad with something else and rewrap it. But, I'll be doing a face to face deal. I don't think someone would actually do that right in front of you, knowing that you'll open it right away. Right? Also going to their house. So maybe that is another safety precaution. Just curious on how I can actually check the warranty status and apple care +. Thanks for your input.

Wrathwitch

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2009
I'll check it on the website for the warranty then. I know some sketchy people do replace the ipad with something else and rewrap it. But, I'll be doing a face to face deal. I don't think someone would actually do that right in front of you, knowing that you'll open it right away. Right? Also going to their house. So maybe that is another safety precaution. Just curious on how I can actually check the warranty status and apple care +. Thanks for your input.

Oh hell yes they would!! The best way to get away with bad **** is to act like you are on the up and up, ie normal and trustworthy.

NEVER NEVER NEVER buy any product from someone without not only opening the box, firing up the device, running it through it's paces, and checking out the serial number before handing over the cash.

Now that being said, if you are going to their home, and you don't know this person at all, I would be SUPER super careful, go with a friend. I would also ask to see their driver's license to see if it was indeed their house and make note of their name on it.

Yes there are good people that sell things and if they are inviting you to their home it makes it less likely that you will get jumped and mugged. I recently read a forum regarding a Note 4 purchase and the clone they sold this guy was amazing and if you didn't know what to look for you could be taken in.

I sold my Macbook air at a Starbucks and I had no issues with the guy taking it for a test drive(booting it up etc) the people you are buying from should have no issues either if they are on the up and up.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden

Are they going to let you open it and power it up before you hand over the cash? :rolleyes:

Mcdevidr

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2013
I would show the person you have the money. Then just say you want to test it out to se if it works and open the box. doesnt seem odd to go to a persons house, I would take a buddy though. I usually try to talk to the person on the phone before doing a deal in person from Craigslist.

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
I've sold a brand new unopened iPhone 6 plus 64gb. Kept it in box unopened. As soon as guy showed me the money (very public place).

I opened box. Activated phone for the guy. He gave me the cash. Safe easy transaction for both parties.

So open the iPad box. Check serial in the back.

davistld01

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2008
Springfield, MO
I've bought two iPads from local Craiglist sellers who have recieved them as merit gifts from their employers, and have never had an issue. That's just me, and maybe I'm just special.

Actually I'm just a really good judge of people, generally.

:p

hrv888

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 17, 2009
Yeah. I bought the iPad Air from the guy right in front of Apple Store instead. Brought a friend with me and showed the seller that the money is with my friend while I opened the box. Booted it up in front of him and was able to activate the iPad as well. My dad is extremely happy with the gift.

Not everyone is shady but they are out there. Happy holidays everyone.

jcmeyer5

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2008
I received a Mini 3 today as a gift from a vendor... no receipt.

Just saying, it's possible.

Spink10

Suspended
Nov 3, 2011
Oklahoma
Generally if you use common sense all CL transactions go smoothly - 75+ transactions of over $300 each and zero problems.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.