Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrAtoBandMe

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 11, 2014
I have never owned any Mac products before and I have no Apple Store account. The Mac Book Pro will be for my son for Christmas.

Will I need to sign up for an Apple account to purchase the Mac Book Pro?

Spink10

Suspended
Nov 3, 2011
Oklahoma
I have never owned any Mac products before and I have no Apple Store account. The Mac Book Pro will be for my son for Christmas.

No

Most likely he will want to create an Apple ID once he has the Mac.

What are you looking to get? Lots of knowledge on here that may be able to help you.

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Money?

Cash, credit card or gift certificate.

How have you purchased other computers?

jorgk

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2013
lots of cash

Not to forget, one may consider AppleCare (extended support), make sure to have a backup solution (thus, an external hard disk and corresponding software; such as Carbon Copy Cloner - unless to rely on Apple TimeMachine only), an idea what additional software is needed (MS Office, Adobe stuff, etc.). These will add to the bill.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX

If your son is a student, make sure you have his school and student ID number. Students rates are significantly less expensive.

srminton

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2008
Yes, you need to be a member of Apple Pi before you are allowed to buy a Mac. Ask any Genius in an Apple Store for details. If you mention the code word "crumble" you will get a nice discount.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.