Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

9to5Slavery

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 23, 2014
MacBook Air 13" Mid 2012 (standard configs from store bought)
Yosmite 10.10.1 w/ bootcamp Windows 7

Prior Problem:

Random shut downs without power source connected

Problem:

1. Shut down when closing lid for an amount of time without trying to shut down
purposely.

2. Every time I turn on the computer, it wakes with two log in option me & guest. I enter my password and it has a loading bar? Why is that? This happens when I shut down properly as well or restart and it loads with a loading bar. This never happened prior to bootcamp or it started to happen after an update as well (maybe the 2nd recent update from the last one that happened which didn't help)

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
The random shutdowns sounds like a battery that isn't properly calibrated and needs to be replaced.

As for the progress bar, that was introduced with Yosemite and you may not have noticed it at first.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
I don't know about your random shutdowns, although you should consider taking to an Apple repair shop or Apple store, and describe what happens. They may offer a suggestion about what to do.

Boot Camp would require you to reboot to get back to OS X, so the loading bar would be visible again during boot - so boot camp is just a coincidence.

It's actually since you upgraded to 10.10.
The loading bar replaced the little rotating gear that was standard on OS X for the last few years, and is part of a completely normal boot since Yosemite.

9to5Slavery

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 23, 2014
The random shutdowns sounds like a battery that isn't properly calibrated and needs to be replaced.

As for the progress bar, that was introduced with Yosemite and you may not have noticed it at first.

Okay thanks for the loading bar insight even with bootcamp installed guys, but it still doesn't answer my issue with restart with lid down. My power options are preventing that from sleep but shutting down is completely different. I still have a lot of battery left when booting back up from that shut down.

Macbooks with built in battery http://support.apple.com/kb/PH14087 & http://macs.about.com/od/usingyourmac/qt/battery-calibration.htm

1. says the ways to callibrate your battery can be done seems so by yourself and doesn't require to be done at apple store. My macbook air is out of warranty btw.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
I agree that your battery may be failing.
Take to an authorized Apple service shop for a good checkout, or just replace the battery.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.