Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pdxmatts

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 12, 2013
Portland, OR
I need a Wifi router that can handle 4 iPhones, Macbook Pro, Xbox One, 360 and a Wii U that will be a Christmas gift. My son has been complaining that his 360 is lagging or dropping and I have had some issues with my Macbbook Pro on Yosemite. My i6 will not stay on 5ghz and swithes to 2.4ghz and my Wifi speeds go no higher than 30mb's and usually run about 12-13mbs during peak times. I am using a Belkin right now and I need to upgrade to a better router that is not insanely expensive. Our house is all one level and about 1489 sq ft. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

ttNB

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2012
Nor' Jersey & New York (Twi-State)
Air port extreme, it's the best Wi-Fi router I've ever had! It never drops the signal, like my old linksys. It handles 3 iPads at 5.0GHZ, 2 Apple TVs, smart TV, 2 IPhones, wireless thermostat, MacBooks, printer etc.. Without dropping, and constant AC coverage for the ones that use it. Dual bands work beautifully, and it does its job in a big Apartment, w/o any signal booster. It can also hook up,to your printer directly, so you can print stuff off your IPads and iPhones, super easy! You can find them on sale right about now like on MacMall, and similar authorized apple re-sellers. Good luck.:apple:
Just checked your Sq Footage, you should be fine, I have 1245, it works even in the hallway and on the other side of the building. And you can even hide your ssid, so no one will know your signal is out there. And make it super secure.

cababah

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
SF Bay Area, CA
This ^

The new Airport Extremes are awesome. Much improved over the previous gen AirPort Extreme (flat version) I had before. You can get them used on eBay of refurbished like the previous poster mentioned. I still feel at $199 it was well worth the price. With 802.11ac, I'll be keeping it for a while...

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
If you want something ridiculously simple (and I used to be the guy that tweaked his router settings) I will second the airport extreme. I am rather happy with my older 802.11n (last of the flat) model. New ones are supposed to be even better, especially with multiple devices.

Netgear also makes some highly rated AC routers if you are so inclined. My net is under 300 megabit, so I don't find I need anything quite that speedy (read: expensive).

But if you son is a real gamer he will coax. Tell that n00b what's up (only kidding)

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
There are a few good routers on the market but I will give another +1 for the airport as its great in its simplicity.

Meltdownblitz

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2010
Help chosing a Wifi Router please

Depends how much you want to spend. If you don't care and want one of the best I suggest the Asus AC2400 RT-AC87U which will run you around $300. This is the one I have for my family and it is awesome, super fast and we have about 50 or more devices connected to it from phones, tablets, TVs, blu Ray players, game systems to home automation. Anything that uses a wifi. I think of a wifi router personally as a brain for all your devices. Your 50 or so devices rely on this one device technically. If you get a crap router you get crap performance out of it. IMO it's one thing you shouldn't mind spending some money on, after all it does give all your devices connectivity, and possibly connects your whole house if you have home automation products. My 6 plus gets about 130 Mbps on the 5ghz ac band, pretty quick. Anyway, Just my 2 cents.

pdxmatts

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 12, 2013
Portland, OR
Thank you for all the replies. I forgot to mention that we have an Xfinity/Comcast modem and I believe that the package we have is Blast at 50mbps speed. Does that negate the speed of the router? Will we never get higher than 50 mbps?

Edit: By the end of the year Xfinity says they will be doubling the speeds to 100mbps

Last edited:

Meltdownblitz

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2010
Thank you for all the replies. I forgot to mention that we have an Xfinity/Comcast modem and I believe that the package we have is Blast at 50mbs speed. Does that negate the speed of the router? Will we never get higher than 50mb's?

I believe you won't go higher then your internet plan offers but I'm not positive.

McGiord

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2003
Dark Castle
You cannot get faster than what the ISP is providing.

Suggestions:
1- Get Apple Airport Extreme AC (fastest and latest available) - handles pretty well the frequencies independently, and allows you to set up a couple of networks so you can distribute your devices between the two network, or use it for visitors.
2- Call Xfinity and ask for an upgrade. I had 12 Mbps in 2012 and was paying about $60 per month, they doubled the plan to 50Mbps in 2013 and lowered the rate to $53m then they upgraded to 105 Mbps for the same price after I agreed to a promotion to have HBO and digital cable $70.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
I was on the Xfinity 50 Mb/s package and was only getting 30 Mb/s max, like you. Turns out the modem they gave me was DOCSIS 2.0, which can only go that fast. Contacted Comcast and they gave me newer modem that pushed my speeds to 55 Mb/s - more in line with what I was paying.

Now, your router is the main issue. 30 Mb/s should not be causing a problem (although, if you're like me and want to get every Mb that you're paying for - ask Comcast for a DOCSIS 3.0 modem).

One of the main advantages to an Apple router is that they're easy to set up. But I don't have a problem spending 20 minutes (if even!) extra to set up another router so I wouldn't spend so much.

http://www.amazon.com/RT-N66U-Dual-...gabit-Router/dp/B006QB1RPY/ref=zg_bs_300189_4

This one has really good reviews - I would get this.

Meltdownblitz

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2010
I was on the Xfinity 50 Mb/s package and was only getting 30 Mb/s max. Turns out the modem they gave me was DOCSIS 2.0, which can only go that fast. Contacted Comcast and they gave me newer modem that pushed my speeds to 55 Mb/s - more in line with what I was paying.

Now, your router is the main issue. 30 Mb/s should not be causing a problem (although, if you're like me and want to get every Mb that you're paying for - ask Comcast for a DOCSIS 3.0 modem).

One of the main advantages to an Apple router is that they're easy to set up. But I don't have a problem spending 20 minutes (if even!) extra to set up another router so I wouldn't spend so much.

http://www.amazon.com/RT-N66U-Dual-...gabit-Router/dp/B006QB1RPY/ref=zg_bs_300189_4

That's actually the one I used to have. I upgraded to the other one I posted above. Overall that one is a great router, no issues. Just upgraded because the family has many devices and it was getting slow.

pdxmatts

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 12, 2013
Portland, OR
2- Call Xfinity and ask for an upgrade. I had 12 Mbps in 2012 and was paying about $60 per month, they doubled the plan to 50Mbps in 2013 and lowered the rate to $53m then they upgraded to 105 Mbps for the same price after I agreed to a promotion to have HBO and digital cable $70.

Looks like Blast 50mbps is the fastest one they offer here in Portland, OR, but they are doubling the speeds to 105mps soon.

I was on the Xfinity 50 Mb/s package and was only getting 30 Mb/s max, like you. Turns out the modem they gave me was DOCSIS 2.0, which can only go that fast. Contacted Comcast and they gave me newer modem that pushed my speeds to 55 Mb/s - more in line with what I was paying.

Now, your router is the main issue. 30 Mb/s should not be causing a problem (although, if you're like me and want to get every Mb that you're paying for - ask Comcast for a DOCSIS 3.0 modem).http://www.amazon.com/RT-N66U-Dual-...gabit-Router/dp/B006QB1RPY/ref=zg_bs_300189_4

The modem I have is an Arris Tm822 and I actually had that router, but AC1750 in my amazon cart ;)

Last edited:

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
The modem I have is an Arris Tm822

Well it's DOCSIS 3.0. The other issue with the way Comcast does it is that if the source is split up too many times the signal is not so good. I know people who couldn't use Comcast because in their neighborhood because of this issue.

I thought you might've just been using an older modem but its probably a what I mentioned above.

Allograft

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2014
What does that mean?

With your Mac on Yosemite and iOS 8 iPhone, are you able to the phone handoff feature as part of Continuity? It's got to be something in the settings as to why my phone handoff won't work on my 87u because it works when I'm on other routers

Meltdownblitz

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2010
With your Mac on Yosemite and iOS 8 iPhone, are you able to the phone handoff feature as part of Continuity? It's got to be something in the settings as to why my phone handoff won't work on my 87u because it works when I'm on other routers

Funny how you kinda guessed I had a mac lol. I don't think it's the router though, make sure both your phone and Mac are on the same Apple ID or iCloud, can't remember which. But yes works just fine.

pdxmatts

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 12, 2013
Portland, OR
After changing some channel settings on my router, my Macbook Pro on 5ghz is pulling 59.08 mbps download and 12.58 mbps upload speeds, but my i6 on the same 5ghz is pulling 24.25 mbps download and 11.85 mbps upload speeds. Is there a reason why they are different?

Meltdownblitz

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2010
After changing some channel settings on my router, my Macbook Pro on 5ghz is pulling 59.08 mbps download and 12.58 mbps upload speeds, but my i6 on the same 5ghz is pulling 24.25 mbps download and 11.85 mbps upload speeds. Is there a reason why they are different?

Is your MacBook plugged in via cat 5/6 or wifi? If on wifi then I'm not sure why your getting different speeds. If I took a guess I'd say probably because your MacBook has stronger bands vs a phone. However, I'm surprised your iPhone isn't running faster then that because I know it supports ac I don't think MacBook supports ac yet.

pdxmatts

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 12, 2013
Portland, OR
Is your MacBook plugged in via cat 5/6 or wifi? If on wifi then I'm not sure why your getting different speeds. If I took a guess I'd say probably because your MacBook has stronger bands vs a phone. However, I'm surprised your iPhone isn't running faster then that because I know it supports ac I don't think MacBook supports ac yet.

I'm using straight wifi on both. My Belkin router is not ac, it is just your standard N450 dual band.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Thank you for all the replies. I forgot to mention that we have an Xfinity/Comcast modem and I believe that the package we have is Blast at 50mbps speed. Does that negate the speed of the router? Will we never get higher than 50 mbps?

Edit: By the end of the year Xfinity says they will be doubling the speeds to 100mbps

I have the same router and use the same Comcast X1 system at 50mbps. It does 2 desktops, two iPads, two Dropcam security cameras with ease. It even allows two people to FaceTime. I have never used the AirPort Extreme but the X1 modem does every bit of the promised 50mbps and on occasion a bit more.

Not sure if you will notice a speed increase by changing wireless modems.

pdxmatts

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 12, 2013
Portland, OR
I have the same router and use the same Comcast X1 system at 50mbps. It does 2 desktops, two iPads, two Dropcam security cameras with ease. It even allows two people to FaceTime. I have never used the AirPort Extreme but the X1 modem does every bit of the promised 50mbps and on occasion a bit more.

Not sure if you will notice a speed increase by changing wireless modems.

When the Xfinity service guy came to give us a new modem after ours died about a year ago, he told us it would be better if we got our own router compared to using their modem/wifi router combo they had. So, I am assuming he gave us a modem that doesn't have wifi included with it? IDK..Lol

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.