Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ZD8062

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 14, 2014
Hey all:

I've got a late 2011 13" MBP with Yosemite. It has been getting incredibly slow. Apps open slow, keyboard delays as I'm typing, etc.

I downloaded memory cleaner and watching the available ram, it is constantly somewhere between 0%-7%. I've also been watching the "memory pressure" in activity monitor but it is almost always green, have only seen it jump into yellow once. So that being said, I'd like to get it up to speed again, but not sure memory is the issue. Although at any given time its usually around 0%-4% available, memory pressure never really spikes.

Any thoughts on whether I'd be better off upgrading to 8gb ram (from 4gb) or instead upgrading to a SSD? Or something else?

Thank you!

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
[[ Any thoughts on whether I'd be better off upgrading to 8gb ram (from 4gb) or instead upgrading to a SSD? Or something else? ]]

Replacing the platter-based HDD with an SSD will make the biggest difference.
Far more than adding RAM.

But -- you should do both.

I take it that Yosemite (like Mavericks before it) was developed on Mac platforms that had both plenty of RAM -and- SSDs. Yes, it can run on older HDD's -- but, the "running" will be more like walking insofar as the "user experience" goes.

I still keep my 2010 MBPro on 10.6.8.
I replaced the HDD with an SSD, and it boots in 5 seconds. Runs like lightning!

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
Replacing the platter-based HDD with an SSD will make the biggest difference.
Far more than adding RAM.

Agree completely. Adding and SSD will be like night and day. And 8GB of RAM is cheap, so do add that also.

stapoz

macrumors member
Dec 18, 2014
SSD definitely. After adding memory you will only see difference when opening many apps, opening big apps (Photoshop), or play with fast user switching. 4GB is rather min for OSX, so upgrading to 8GB as quite cheap and quick method should be also done

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I've got a late 2011 13" MBP with Yosemite. It has been getting incredibly slow. Apps open slow, keyboard delays as I'm typing, etc.

Sorry I'm late to the party, but this is classic symptoms for a failing drive. If you don't have the cash for a SSD, a new hard drive would very likely fix this. A bad drive cable can also cause this, but that is less common.

AlecZ

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2014
Berkeley, CA
Mavericks for whatever reason is very slow if you have an HDD, and I'd assume it's the same with Yosemite. My Mac Pro has 6GB of RAM but has been fine with Mavericks ever since I put an SSD in.

I'd go for the SSD, not only because it'll probably speed up your Mac a lot but because it'll make it more reliable since HDDs are subject to damage by movement. Having more than 4GB of RAM is usually overkill anyway. I never use that much unless I've got VMs running.

----------

Sorry I'm late to the party, but this is classic symptoms for a failing drive. If you don't have the cash for a SSD, a new hard drive would very likely fix this. A bad drive cable can also cause this, but that is less common.

This could also be it, but I experienced such problems in Mavericks (apps open slowly, minor keyboard delay) even with a good HDD that runs Mountain Lion fine.

Silly John Fatty

macrumors 68000
Nov 6, 2012
Could it not be that Yosemite is simply still full of bugs? Perhaps wait for the next few releases.

But if it's really your hard drive, you should better do a backup soon. Good that you mentioned that Weaselboy, because I believe I have a computer with a similar symptom!

alex0002

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2013
New Zealand

I've seen a number of posts in SSD forums (and here on macrumors) where a new SATA cable helped on a Unibody MBP, so it's reasonably common. I'd go for an SSD, but be prepared to replace the SATA cable too.

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
Weselboys answer is the only 100% correct one.

Avoid weird memory monitoring/cleaning apps. Use only the activity monitor.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.