Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iphonefreak450

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 14, 2014
Hi,

I am new to the iPhone and new to the forum. So please bare with me here. Have questions about replacing the battery in case the battery drains out and cannot hold a charge anymore.

I bought this unlocked iPhone from a local GSM shop from Europe and I know that Apple can indeed replace the battery for $79. No big deal. I just want my iPhone battery to be replaced. Period.

1. If I bought my phone from a non-Apple shop (GSM Shop from Europe), will Apple or any Apple authorized service center can still replace the battery? Or, will Apple replace the battery only for phones which are bought only from an Apple store?

2. If I take it to Apple or any Apple authorized service center, will they have to ship my phone somewhere else in order to change the battery? Or, can they do it locally there?

3. What if I want to keep my original phone after a battery replacement? Can I ask them to replace the battery and then keep my phone or will they give me a new replacement phone?

I had been to Apple's site on battery services, but I still need a bit of guidance here.

Thx in advance!

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
1. So long as there is no evidence the phone has ever been opened up by a third party you should be fine.

2. This may vary by region. I know my local Apple Store is able to do swaps in store.

3. Again this may vary by region. You should be able to get your soecific phone back. I know it's an option for us in the states even if you ship it out.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Replace it yourself. Can get a genuine battery for around $15. Replacing takes 10-15 mins. There are plenty YouTube videos and iFixit has a guide.

iphonefreak450

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 14, 2014
So, do they need to ship the phone somewhere else to change the battery?
I don't want them to ship it. I rather have them do it locally.

I know its a sort of a silly question since I got the phone a day ago....And battery should remain fairly good for about 2 years.

But I just want to be prepared JUST IN CASE if I do need a battery to be replaced.

Just in case.

Forget it!!! I saw those YouTube vids....Its too risky. I would let the pros do it. No thanks.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
So, do they need to ship the phone somewhere else to change the battery?
I don't want them to ship it. I rather have them do it locally.

I know its a sort of a silly question since I got the phone a day ago....And battery should remain fairly good for about 2 years.

But I just want to be prepared JUST IN CASE if I do need a battery to be replaced.

Just in case.

It's done in store

iphonefreak450

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 14, 2014
Ok, well, I will cross that bridge when I get there.
In the meantime, I will enjoy this lovely phone.

----------

1. So long as there is no evidence the phone has ever been opened up by a third party you should be fine.

No....I went to my local GSM shop here in Europe and got the phone in its original box and it was sealed and protected. If that's what you were referring to from your above reply.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
I have never been able to buy a genuine battery for any of my previous iPhones. It is always a gamble. Some work well and others are no better than the old battery it replaced. That's the beauty of Samsung phones, not only can the battery cover be removed but you can also source a genuine Samsung battery.
The rule of thumb is not to buy a battery from one of those back street vendors who sell phone cases and unlock SIM cards. Their batteries will be bogus. Places like iFixit and some sellers on Ebay appear to have decent batteries for sale. At the end of the day, a lot of these OEM batteries will have been made in the same factories as the originals.

PixelpusherBV

macrumors member
Dec 16, 2013
Harwich, UK
(Disclaimer) I am pissed atm (drunk, not angry - just to make that clear for the US/ UK residents), but I didn't see what model iPhone you have. If it's an iPhone 5, than you may be eligible for the battery replacement program Apple has going.

----------

Ok, too pissed to see the title. Might be worth checking to see if there a 5s program too.

----------

Ok, just checked; no battery replacement program for 5s's. Please disregard my reply as I am irrelevant in this condition, so no help whatsoever....

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
The rule of thumb is not to buy a battery from one of those back street vendors who sell phone cases and unlock SIM cards. Their batteries will be bogus. Places like iFixit and some sellers on Ebay appear to have decent batteries for sale. At the end of the day, a lot of these OEM batteries will have been made in the same factories as the originals.

For those in the UK, I've used Replace Base for a few batteries and they seem 'genuine'.

lakaiordie

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2008
Just remember if you do it yourself and you have issues apple won't service your phone in the future

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Just remember if you do it yourself and you have issues apple won't service your phone in the future

Considering all iPhone 5 users are well out of their warranty, and iPhone 5s owners who got their phone within the first year of sale will also be out of their warranty, they've not much to lose (assuming they aren't a clumsy klutz).

iphonefreak450

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 14, 2014
So when I am passed my 1 year warranty, and do need a battery replacement, they will not replace the battery? I just got the 5S a few days ago because that's all I can afford now.

I am willing to pay that $79 fee for a battery change.
But Apple will not do it if my phone is out of warranty???

Please confirm this.

Last edited:

pdxmatts

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2013
Portland, OR
So when I am passed my 1 year warranty, and do need a battery replacement, they will not replace the battery? I just got the 5S a few days ago because that's all I can afford now.

I am willing to pay that $79 fee for a battery change.
But Apple will not do it if my phone is out of warranty???

Please confirm this.

No, you can replace your battery with Apple at any time. As long as you haven't opened it up yourself or through a 3rd party.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.