Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
iOS is really about the apps, and not letting the UI get in the way...

Very true. Apples first priority is massive profits. By influencing users to buy lots of Apps it gives Apple a strong revenue stream.

Also, Apple believes it knows what best for it users. This is validated in the forum here. I've read many post that say Apple knows what's best for them before they do. It's these dependent people that rely on Apple to guide them.

So Apple goes to great lengths to remove choices & the need to think. Their famous saying "it just works" creates a safe feeling for those who prefer to be told what to do. Witness the overpowering success & you'll see Apple knows it's average user quite well.

not half

macrumors newbie
Aug 14, 2013
I'm not an IPhone owner, never have been, most likely never will be.

I only recently found out that iPhones are not customisable, and could hardly believe it, given how people rave about them.

The majority of posters on this thread remind me of deeply religious people who argue that it isn't up to the common man to try to act outside of or question God's (Apple's) will, people should simply be grateful for what they are given in life and not complain. God (Apple) is in charge of the Grand Plan, though He works in mysterious ways.

Those plaintively piping up with 'Actually, I wouldn't mind a weather widget' sound like Dickens' half-starved Oliver Twist nervously asking 'please sir, may I have some more?'. Very funny.

I'm into my third Samsung (First smartphone was a Nokia, then Galaxy Ace, then Galaxy SIII, now a Galaxy Note II) and I love Samsung phones.

I can't imagine not being able to arrange the things I want on my screen to my liking, and have not broken a phone yet by fussing around and changing things too much. I don't see what it's got to do with anyone else if I wanted my screen to look like the inside of a car that's just been on 'Pimp my ride' (it doesn't BTW)

You can 'root' an Android (like jailbreaking an iPhone) if you want to delete the bloat-ware, but I haven't bothered, because at least you can tuck all that stuff away in an app drawer, and you don't have to look at it if you don't want to.

You couldn't pay me to use an iPhone. Well, you probably could if you offered me enough money, but I'd have to sneak my Note II into my bag every day alongside it, if only so I can properly browse the web and watch video on a decently sized screen.

Winona Northdakota

macrumors 6502a
Dec 27, 2010
Seems to me thats what most people don't understand about Apple. If you want customization and all that other techy stuff, then Apple products aren't for you. It's either you like it or you don't. Apple is all about refinement, simplicity and minimalism. Strip away all the extra stuff that adds bloat and you're left with the core essentials.

Not true. I can customize OS X a million ways to Sunday. iOS is a different story. OS X has a command line and I can use any Unix based command line shell I want. iOS is more locked down in that regard, though it is opening up more and more. iOS 8 has the ability to add extensions. iOS is more about apps and not the OS getting in the way.

masands

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2010
Oh man, this 2 year thread is funny. Especially some of the replies on the first page.

SolarShane

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2014
Why anyone would want live wallpapers on their phone is beyond me...

For phones, yes, it's stupid.

But, most, if not all of us, have smartphones. So having that option is nice.

I absolutely hate people who group phones and smartphones into the same category. They're completely different devices.

Winona Northdakota

macrumors 6502a
Dec 27, 2010
For phones, yes, it's stupid.

But, most, if not all of us, have smartphones. So having that option is nice.

I absolutely hate people who group phones and smartphones into the same category. They're completely different devices.

And live wallpapers help smartphones, how?

SolarShane

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2014
And live wallpapers help smartphones, how?

It's called customization. Having only Apple products, you've probably never heard of it.

It's also called if you don't like it don't use it.

----------

Not true. I can customize OS X a million ways to Sunday. iOS is a different story. OS X has a command line and I can use any Unix based command line shell I want. iOS is more locked down in that regard, though it is opening up more and more. iOS 8 has the ability to add extensions. iOS is more about apps and not the OS getting in the way.

And then Apple closed iOS again with the removal of Launcher. A neat little app that actually put Apple's "widgets" to good use.

Winona Northdakota

macrumors 6502a
Dec 27, 2010
It's called customization. Having only Apple products, you've probably never heard of it.

----------

And then Apple closed iOS again with the removal of Launcher. A neat little app that actually put Apple's "widgets" to good use.

No, I have and use quite a few products. It's called diversity. You probably don't understand the concept.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011

----------

Sorry but removing one app that Apple deemed as going beyond the scope of what they feel is appropriate is hardly closing given that plenty of other apps now have widgets and actionable notifications and other extension functionality. Pretty much undermines much of anything of value when unnecessary exaggerations are being made.

SolarShane

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2014
Sorry but removing one app that Apple deemed as going beyond the scope of what they feel is appropriate is hardly closing given that plenty of other apps now have widgets and actionable notifications and other extension functionality. Pretty much undermines much of anything of value when unnecessary exaggerations are being made.

How is using a method that thousands of other apps use for launching other apps "beyond the scope of what they feel is appropriate"?

Looks like you're defending Apple without seeing the bigger picture.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
How is using a method that thousands of other apps use for launching other apps "beyond the scope of what they feel is appropriate"?

Looks like you're defending Apple without seeing the bigger picture.
Apple scope appears to be not to allow for widgets to launch apps other than the app to which a widget belongs to. I never said or implied anything about it being good or bad or right or wrong, just that that's what it appears to be and that there's nothing really strange or surprising about Apple having a rule like that. They certainly opened up things with widgets much more than before, but that doesn't necessarily mean that anything goes either. And it certainly doesn't mean something was "closed" again, just that it didn't get open completely widely, which is fairly different.

SolarShane

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2014
Apple scope appears to be not to allow for widgets to launch apps other than the app to which a widget belongs to. I never said or implied anything about it being good or bad or right or wrong, just that that's what it appears to be and that there's nothing really strange or surprising about Apple having a rule like that. They certainly opened up things with widgets much more than before, but that doesn't necessarily mean that anything goes either. And it certainly doesn't mean something was "closed" again, just that it didn't get open completely widely, which is fairly different.

You still don't get it. There is nothing in the guidelines that specifically say "don't use this for widgets".

Apple had no reason to remove Launcher. They removed it so they can steal, err, create it for iOS 8.1 or later. Mark my words. Remember the Wi-Fi sync app?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
You still don't get it. There is nothing in the guidelines that specifically say "don't use this for widgets".

Apple had no reason to remove Launcher. They removed it so they can steal, err, create it for iOS 8.1 or later. Mark my words. Remember the Wi-Fi sync app?
The guidelines are set by Apple. If Apple decided that something isn't consistent with what they envisioned in those guidelines then they can make that call since they are the ones in control of it all. It's just that simple, and, again, not anything new or surprising. And, also again, unrelated to it being good or bad or right or wrong.

Last edited:

SolarShane

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2014
The guidelines are set by Apple. If Apple decided that something isn't consistent with what they envisioned in those guidelines then they can make that call since they are the ones in control of it all. It's just that simple, and, again, not anything new or surprising. And, also again, unrelated to it being good or bad or right or wrong.

The guidelines that mention nothing about launching other apps with widgets.

Daviddeteo

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2014
But some android user in vietnam like to customize their device like ios. No widget except clock, also status bar

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.