Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Described as a 'retro-futuristic 3D' shoot-em-up, Space Qube has been designated by Apple as this week's App of the Week. The game, created by Qubit Entertainment and launched in early 2013, will be free on the App Store for the next week.

Normally priced at $2.99, the game tasks players with building their own personal spaceships and running through "endless levels of Alien mayhem," besting high scores and taking down bosses.

The extensive voxel-based ship editor allows users to build an endless variety of ships, share them online, or download another player's creation for themselves. Most players reviewing the game on the App Store praise these ship-building and customization elements of the game, but forewarn future players of in-app purchases down the road.

With Space Qube's in-game Voxel editor you can create anything and take it for a spin in the space! There are tons of models already created and more is coming in - fast. Take control of a space ship, a flying toilet, a flying cow or anything else, shoot as many aliens as you can and get the highest score to climb up the ranks. Some serious unique bosses are waiting for you on your quest! Space shooters will never be the same.

-Retro shoot 'em up using sensor controls
-Best music theme ever, no doubt
-Share your 3D creations online
-Use your own creation or download another gamer's model to play the game
-3D Print out your creations with one click

Game tech support:
-Game Center support
-WideScreen support
-Voxel-based rendering engine

Welcome to Space Qube!
Space Qube can be downloaded from the App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Retro 3D Shooter 'Space Qube' Named App of the Week, Available for Free

Demon Hunter

macrumors 68020
Mar 30, 2004
Of course it can be free. The developers feed from the IAP scheme they implemented in this game. The least they could do is make it free.

Yeah, Apple's "free" selections are getting kind of annoying. When Things was free the other week, I thought it was funny they boasted the normal 9.99 price in the subtitle.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
So what kinds of IAP are in this game?

I'm okay with many kinds of IAP... Pay to cheat, for example. Pay to win isn't okay, though.

NY Guitarist

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2011
Reading the recents reviews it seems that the app is buggy/crashy and you need to spend $ to play the game beyond basically what is a demo game.

E.Lizardo

macrumors 68000
May 28, 2008
Of course it can be free. The developers feed from the IAP scheme they implemented in this game. The least they could do is make it free.

Yep. I'll check it out,but IAP has pretty much killed iOS gaming for me. If I can use IAP for permanent items and have a really good game for up to $10 I'm OK,but constant pay-to-play or pay-to-avoid-timers are deal killers.

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
Just downloaded this game. It's ok, not something I can see myself playing again though

Lostanddamned

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2009
London, UK
I got as far as seeing that it had voxels. Boring art choice post-minecraft and not actually artistic expression, just a lazy me-too shortcut to rapid sales from a certain demographic of gamers.

filmantopia

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2010
Retro-futuristic?

Does that mean it used to be futuristic or it will be retro?

Retro-futurism refers to the past's vision of the future. Think about sci-fi films from the 60s-80s where in the "future" everyone is wearing silver jump suits. Or in the Jetsons, the way everything has that 50's aesthetic, yet it is their time's vision of the future.

Anyone who likes to think about the future will benefit from researching retro-futurism because the false (and correct) predictions which were once made about tomorrow can help inform our own predictions.

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
Yeah, Apple's "free" selections are getting kind of annoying. When Things was free the other week, I thought it was funny they boasted the normal 9.99 price in the subtitle.

Maybe Apple is not looking deep enough into the description of these apps to realize how much of a robbery these are.
I guess there's a huge market for this kind of Apps with IAP, mostly people who can't control their desires for more.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.