Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

minecraftermama

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 15, 2014
Hi guys,

It's a 10 days out from Christmas and my 10 year old has finally decided he'd like a new-to-him Mac Laptop mostly for skyping and playing minecraft. He's currently playing on my old 13" white Macbook (I think it's from 2009, but I'm not at home to check the specs). Anyway, he's complaining of lag, specifically when he tries to capture video while playing with his friends.

Of course he wants to do a "Let's play" youtube channel.

If he gets a new laptop, it will be used... we probably won't spend more than $400. With this in mind, can anyone give me specs that I should be looking for? I've scanned the minecraft forums on the topic, but most of the discussions become "why do you want to buy a crap Mac when PCs cost less and are made for gaming?" rant fests, which is not helpful. My boy wants a Mac and I just want to get the one that is most likely to work best for him, within our budget...

From my googling, it looks like I should be looking for a Macbook pro, at least 2GB of ram, highest processing rate we can find/afford, and an nVidia graphics card... do you guys agree? It also seems a SSD drive would be better, but I don't think I'm going to find that in our price range, even used...

Oh, also... would an iMac be out of the question in terms of running Minecraft? I saw a couple of 17" iMacs in our price range (not sure of specs) that he might consider, but haven't really seen anyone discuss running Minecraft on them.

Thanks in advance for your helpful input! :)

Alrescha

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2008
Oh, also... would an iMac be out of the question in terms of running Minecraft?

I suspect that around the same price point, an iMac will outperform a laptop (room for some faster desktop components) as well as be more reliable (due to better cooling). MacBooks have a bit of history when it comes to the reliability of their discrete video hardware.

A.

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
From the Mojang website. Mojang is the developer of Minecraft. Please pay special attention below where they discourage you from playing Minecraft from a computer with integrated graphics card. Some Mac laptops have an "integrated" graphics card.

Minecraft system requirements
Last Updated: Jul 22, 2014 09:09PM CEST
This information has been compiled by the Minecraft community on the Minecraft wiki. Please visit the Hardware Performance wiki page for the most up to date information, or to compare your computer's hardware and software with other users' computers listed as being able to play the game.

A computer with the minimum requirements should be able to play Minecraft. However, for the best experience, please consider the recommended requirements.

Minimum Requirements:
CPU: Intel Pentium D or AMD Athlon 64 (K8) 2.6 GHz
RAM: 2GB
GPU (Integrated): Intel HD Graphics or AMD (formerly ATI) Radeon HD Graphics with OpenGL 2.1
GPU (Discrete): Nvidia GeForce 9600 GT or AMD Radeon HD 2400 with OpenGL 3.1
HDD: At least 200MB for Game Core and Other Files
Java 6 Release 45

Recommended Requirements:
CPU: Intel Core i3 or AMD Athlon II (K10) 2.8 GHz
RAM: 4GB
GPU: GeForce 2xx Series or AMD Radeon HD 5xxx Series (Excluding Integrated Chipsets) with OpenGL 3.3
HDD: 1GB
Latest release of Java 7 from java.com

Software Requirements:
Minecraft Release 1.6 or newer. Older versions will need to be updated to current versions
Please note that some users experience issues playing Minecraft while using a mismatched version of Java for their operating system (32 or 64 bit), while using certain versions of Java 7, or while multiple versions of Java are installed

If you have a laptop with an a built-in (integrated) graphics card, rather than a dedicated card, it is highly suggested that you try the demo before purchase.

A stable internet connection is required for Minecraft to download game files, authenticate usernames, and connect to multiplayer servers. You'll need to download and run Minecraft while connected to the internet at least once; afterwards, you can play without an internet connection, but will need to connect if you'd like to receive updates or play online.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.