Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sheppy1

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 8, 2008
Hi All,

Wondering if anyone from the UK knows of an edge to edge glass screen protector for the iPhone 6. People have suggested good ones from the US but I can't find them for sale here in the UK.

yui4

macrumors 65816
May 26, 2011
ESR glass as mentioned in the main thread. Available on Amazon uk. Mines getting delivered monday

sheppy1

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 8, 2008
ESR glass as mentioned in the main thread. Available on Amazon uk. Mines getting delivered monday

Was looking at that one, a lot of people said it's not case friendly and also sharp on the edges so gathers a lot of dirt..Otherwise I'd have gone for that one :(

csw43

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2011
Just returned my ESR protector, absolute rubbish, the reviews on Amazon UK are correct....it just will not stick properly to the phone and moves about. Great fit size wise but the adhesive just isn't strong enough

bukwit

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2010
London
Just returned my ESR protector, absolute rubbish, the reviews on Amazon UK are correct....it just will not stick properly to the phone and moves about. Great fit size wise but the adhesive just isn't strong enough

I've not had this problem! Excellent fit and the one I have fitted certainly does not "move about". I'd suggest that you get a replacement. However, the only problem with the ESR is that it does collect lint/dust under the edges quite easily plus the edges are not rounded off.

I've just had a message from UltimateShield who will have their rounded edge glass protectors available on Monday evening.

It's similar to the iloome one available here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/iloome-Scre...ie=UTF8&qid=1418485321&sr=1-5&keywords=iloome

Will hopefully leave feedback here sometime next week when I've had it delivered.

sheppy1

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 8, 2008
I've not had this problem! Excellent fit and the one I have fitted certainly does not "move about". I'd suggest that you get a replacement. However, the only problem with the ESR is that it does collect lint/dust under the edges quite easily plus the edges are not rounded off.

I've just had a message from UltimateShield who will have their rounded edge glass protectors available on Monday evening.

It's similar to the iloome one available here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/iloome-Scre...ie=UTF8&qid=1418485321&sr=1-5&keywords=iloome

Will hopefully leave feedback here sometime next week when I've had it delivered.

Think I'll wait until next week to see what that one is like then. The one you linked too seems great! But only one review and it's expensive too!

madmorph

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2014
UltimateShield have listed what looks like their latest glass protector with rounded edges on ebay for £9.99.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121519096876?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Have purchased and will leave some feedback here when it's arrived. I'm currently using their previous glass protector which covers up to the screen only whereas this one looks like it goes across to the edges.

any news on this yet...your thoughts etc before i click the fire button ....cheers

Rocketpaul

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2012
London
UltimateShield have listed what looks like their latest glass protector with rounded edges on ebay for £9.99.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121519096876?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Have purchased and will leave some feedback here when it's arrived. I'm currently using their previous glass protector which covers up to the screen only whereas this one looks like it goes across to the edges.

I ordered their standard glass protectors i while back. I found that it scratched very easily especially compared to the media devil one have now

bukwit

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2010
London
Managed to finally install the new UltimateShield glass protector. Was waiting on my replacement handset to arrive before fitting.

So far it's held up very well over the past few days. Installation was pretty straight forward. Doesn't seem to be collecting dirt/lint etc under the edges although I do keep it in a case. The ESR version picked up a huge amount.

A few photos attached. Feel free to ask questions.

Attachments

• Photo 10-01-2015 12 23 43 am.jpg
    Photo 10-01-2015 12 23 43 am.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 289
  • Photo 10-01-2015 12 24 03 am.jpg
    Photo 10-01-2015 12 24 03 am.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 234
  • Photo 10-01-2015 12 24 20 am.jpg
    Photo 10-01-2015 12 24 20 am.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 215
  • Photo 10-01-2015 12 24 59 am.jpg
    Photo 10-01-2015 12 24 59 am.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 248
  • Photo 10-01-2015 12 25 23 am.jpg
    Photo 10-01-2015 12 25 23 am.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 205

Dino F

Suspended
Sep 16, 2010
Croydon, South London, UK
Managed to finally install the new UltimateShield glass protector. Was waiting on my replacement handset to arrive before fitting.

So far it's held up very well over the past few days. Installation was pretty straight forward. Doesn't seem to be collecting dirt/lint etc under the edges although I do keep it in a case. The ESR version picked up a huge amount.

A few photos attached. Feel free to ask questions.

That screen protector looks awsome! They even have them on Amazon (same price - £9.99). Can't really go wrong for that price!

May just have to get one! Wonder if it will still fit with the Apple Silicone case though?!

bukwit

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2010
London
Thank you for UltimateShield pictures, looks pretty nice. I just ordered one :apple:

You're welcome. A couple more photos...

Attachments

• Photo 10-01-2015 12 24 44 am.jpg
    Photo 10-01-2015 12 24 44 am.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 205
  • Photo 10-01-2015 12 25 12 am.jpg
    Photo 10-01-2015 12 25 12 am.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 186
  • Photo 10-01-2015 12 25 36 am.jpg
    Photo 10-01-2015 12 25 36 am.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 193

bukwit

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2010
London
That screen protector looks awsome! They even have them on Amazon (same price - £9.99). Can't really go wrong for that price!

May just have to get one! Wonder if it will still fit with the Apple Silicone case though?!

Yes. Definitely a well-priced protector. As you can see from the photos their is a fairly small gap left around the front as the protector does not fully cover edge-to-edge so that should help with some cases that have a lip.

shamashu

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2014
Yes. Definitely a well-priced protector. As you can see from the photos their is a fairly small gap left around the front as the protector does not fully cover edge-to-edge so that should help with some cases that have a lip.

That looks nices in photos, it looks the same with tech armor e2e for the small gap left.

How long have you been using that?

bukwit

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2010
London
Will be coming upto a week on Monday since I had fitted and it's holding up very well so far. The premium glass protectors I believe do have a good oleophobic coating and this one seems no different so quite happy with it for the price. I'd definitely recommend it.

Rocketpaul

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2012
London

I had one of these screen protectors from ultimate shield and it scratched quite easily. The mediadevil one that i have now is quite a bit more durable in my opinion.

bukwit

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2010
London
I had one of these screen protectors from ultimate shield and it scratched quite easily. The mediadevil one that i have now is quite a bit more durable in my opinion.

The MediaDevil looks like the ESR version which I have previously tried but the edges of the ESR were quite sharp and as it covers around to the far edges it's difficult to find a case that's compatible that won't push the protector up/off.

I've tried quite a few glass protectors and so far the Ultimateshield seems less of a compromise. It fits well, it's quite smooth around the edges, it has a good oleophobic layer, sensitivity is excellent and mine's certainly not picked up any scratches so far although I do keep it in a good case.

Post some photos of your Mediadevil fitted. It'd certainly help many of us...

alFR

macrumors 68030
Aug 10, 2006
What's the bit round the edge made of (the opaque bit)? Is it painted glass or some sort of plastic surround?

bukwit

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2010
London
Not 100% sure however I do remember the Ultimateshield guy mentioning it was "silk" material when I had emailed him about availability. I also did not have a chance to take a closer look when fitting as I didn't want to get any dirt between protector and phone. It doesn't seem to be collecting any dust in this area after nearly a weeks use.

Dino F

Suspended
Sep 16, 2010
Croydon, South London, UK
I still find it strange though that these 'edge to edge' protectors all seem to have either a black coloured border or a white one?!

Why can't they just carry the glass all the way to the edge without the coloured border? :confused:

shamashu

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2014
I still find it strange though that these 'edge to edge' protectors all seem to have either a black coloured border or a white one?!

Why can't they just carry the glass all the way to the edge without the coloured border? :confused:

Because of halo effect.

Rocketpaul

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2012
London
The MediaDevil looks like the ESR version which I have previously tried but the edges of the ESR were quite sharp and as it covers around to the far edges it's difficult to find a case that's compatible that won't push the protector up/off.

I've tried quite a few glass protectors and so far the Ultimateshield seems less of a compromise. It fits well, it's quite smooth around the edges, it has a good oleophobic layer, sensitivity is excellent and mine's certainly not picked up any scratches so far although I do keep it in a good case.

Post some photos of your Mediadevil fitted. It'd certainly help many of us...

Unfortunately my only camera is the iPhone, but the protector looks more or less identical to what you posted. As far as I can tell, it would take a very cosy case to lift the protector, I'm currently using the iPhone leather case and there is a significant gap(2mm) between the protector and the case.

Edit: on second thoughts yours may be different to the ultimate shield i previously tried, perhaps they have changed the design, the one I had did not got that far to the edge.

bukwit

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2010
London
Unfortunately my only camera is the iPhone, but the protector looks more or less identical to what you posted. As far as I can tell, it would take a very cosy case to lift the protector, I'm currently using the iPhone leather case and there is a significant gap(2mm) between the protector and the case.

Edit: on second thoughts yours may be different to the ultimate shield i previously tried, perhaps they have changed the design, the one I had did not got that far to the edge.

The one in my photos is their latest version released towards the end of December. Their previous one covered only the viewable area of the screen and did not extend towards the edge. It looks like Mediadevil has also got a newer version that looks identical to the Ultimate shield and I'm pretty sure their both of similar premium quality.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.