Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PowerMac G4 MDD

macrumors 68000
Jul 13, 2014
Quicksilver fan here (I own one!!!!!!). Yes, the most beautiful of the lot!

I really thought the G3s were cool. When I worked as an Ad Compositor for the Desert Sun one of the new hires got a brand spanking new G3 as his workstation. Then they started replacing the old Macs with those making some of the old timers there very happy.

Always though it was cool and was very disappointed to see the gray "blah" of the G4s. It didn't start looking good until the Quicksilvers.

STILL DON'T SEE where there's BLUE in the G4s! Sorry, just don't see it. All I see is gray - everywhere!

Yeah, the 'graphite' G4 doesn't look so good. The MDD is pretty cool, but it has too much bling. The Quicksilver is cool too, but I find it a little plain on the front. It looks more solid than the MDD though... Having been a car fanatic, I like to think of the MDD as a Cadillac Escalade and the Quicksilver as a GMC Denali or something like that. (if that connection can be made) I prefer the frosted plastic of the G3, but the G4 QS/MDDs' acrylic finish is nice. My QS is a lame (single CPU) 867Mhz model, but it is in nice, shiny condition with the stickers still over the drive slots and all the original packaging. I just put the guy out on display and hid the box away... maybe I ought to do a quick photo shoot of it. The Pro mouse that came with it has a messed up wire, but the acyclic finish on it is the shiniest and cleanest of any darn black Pro mouse I have personally seen.

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
I'm surprised a third party case designer never did a case that opens like that. Taking the door off a case isn't hard but it's never going to be as convenient as just pulling the side open.

pcase_10_thumb.jpg

Gamer9430

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 22, 2014
USA
So here is a little update that I meant to post a few days ago... They are the ADP models, and they all seem to be running OS X 10.4 based on the login screen. I just opened it and turned them on, nothing too indepth. So I am getting 9 PowerMac G4 ADPs. I'm still waiting for the teacher to send me confirmation that they are mine, but he said he would send me an email over the break.

----------

There is a slim dell computer that opens like that... Like a pizza box. It's still attached, but folds open at the middle. Idk what model it was, but it's an older one

Gamer9430

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Update

So here is an update on this thread...

The teacher that will be giving the computers to me said that i will get some, possibly all based off of how many people are in the class and sign up for AutoCAD (its a technical drawing class). The computers were used for the class, but lucky for me, this year they were planning on tossing ½ of them to use something more modern, like an iPad or laptop with AutoCAD. I will not find out how many I can take until January 26, which is the start of the class and 2nd semester. Until then, my patience will need to be stretched even longer...

Gamer9430

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 22, 2014
USA
This week is the big week (most likely)! Second semester begins this week, and I will know all the details on Tuesday, like how many I can take. I will be taking home the computers on Thursday. This is going to be awesome!

Gamer9430

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 22, 2014
USA
So as I mentioned in my What to do with PowerMac G4's? thread, here is an update... so I talked to the teacher today and he said he is ready to give them to me, however, he needs to make sure that the actual owner, a retired teacher, is fine with me taking them. He sent him an email basically saying "Is it ok for me to get rid of some/all of the computers as we discussed previously? We were planning to upgrade to a newer CAD version which requires a new computer anyway,".

So that is my update of the day. Now I'm 95% sure I can get them this week depending on how quickly the teacher replies. But, as my luck always turns south, I'm sure it will be another week or so until I can take them.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
If the computers have been used for CAD, they might actually have some decent video cards in them.

The standard card for all the Graphite-cased G4s was the Rage 128, although in varying configurations depending on the exact model(the Yikes! and Sawtooth have VGA out only, while Gigabit Ethernet and DAs should have ADC and VGA). This was a fantastic card in 1999 when the B&W G3 came out, but was pretty crummy by 2001 when the DA model came out. The ones that have dual display out(VGA and ADC) can only support one monitor at a time. For CAD, the original purchaser might have upped the graphics to a GEForce 2 or maybe even a GEForce 3, although I could also see in an educational environment the standard card being considered "good enough." Truth be told, if running older software it probably is.

By the way, as a follow-up to my earlier PM, please let me know if you have a GEForce 3 somewhere in the bunch, as I'm desperately looking for one for a Cube.

Gamer9430

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 22, 2014
USA
If the computers have been used for CAD, they might actually have some decent video cards in them.

The standard card for all the Graphite-cased G4s was the Rage 128, although in varying configurations depending on the exact model(the Yikes! and Sawtooth have VGA out only, while Gigabit Ethernet and DAs should have ADC and VGA). This was a fantastic card in 1999 when the B&W G3 came out, but was pretty crummy by 2001 when the DA model came out. The ones that have dual display out(VGA and ADC) can only support one monitor at a time. For CAD, the original purchaser might have upped the graphics to a GEForce 2 or maybe even a GEForce 3, although I could also see in an educational environment the standard card being considered "good enough." Truth be told, if running older software it probably is.

By the way, as a follow-up to my earlier PM, please let me know if you have a GEForce 3 somewhere in the bunch, as I'm desperately looking for one for a Cube.

Yeah you make a good point there. I forgot that that is a possibility. But I will definitely let you know about the GEForce card when I get them.

Gamer9430

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Well, some sad news. The owner of all the computers let me know that they are owned by the state through a grant from 2000. The school would have to call the state to ask them if it's ok to dispose of them. So my free G4s go out the window, for right now.

jbarley

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2006
Vancouver Island
so does the GX270 i have both a GX260 and GX270 much more of a paint in the ass than the Oven Door design

just what color paint would that be.:eek:

----------

Well, some sad news. The owner of all the computers let me know that they are owned by the state through a grant from 2000. The school would have to call the state to ask them if it's ok to dispose of them. So my free G4s go out the window, for right now.

over 2 months of anticipation and all for nothing, I feel your pain Gamer. :(

poiihy

macrumors 68020
Aug 22, 2014

It's a new trend for bathrooms, because when poop gets splattered all over the walls it blends in and becomes invisible, so it doesn't look dirty and doesn't need to be cleaned!

It's also a popular color of smartphone cases for the same reason.

tevion5

macrumors 68000
Jul 12, 2011
Ireland
That would be me.

Sorry, I didn't mean to make it controversial. It's just that the only time I have ever heard the word blue used in reference to Mac towers is with the Blue and White G3s.

I don't mean to be a jerk about it, but I work in Graphic Design where being less than precise about color can cost you.

I'm also the same guy arguing in the iPhone forums that gray is not black. So, take that as you will.

Having white-green colourblindness, I'm glad I didn't take part in this one...

My Quicksilver is silver right?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Having white-green colourblindness, I'm glad I didn't take part in this one...

My Quicksilver is silver right?
LOL, no. It's gray. It's a much lighter gray than the Yikes, Sawtooth and DAs though. Lots of people call it silver. Sounds better I guess. :D

MatthewLTL

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2015
Rochester, MN
LOL, no. It's gray. It's a much lighter gray than the Yikes, Sawtooth and DAs though. Lots of people call it silver. Sounds better I guess. :D

Isn't the fact of the new case design and silver in colour why it is CALLED a "QuickSilver"? P.S My high school used a QS for a music production Mac. It ran OS 9.2.2 with ProTools

Gamer9430

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I waited practically since September for the 1.6 G5 I finally got earlier this month.

Edit: There's still hope for the OP :)

While there may be hope, it's very slim at the moment. However, the guy was very nice, so watch the PPC forums because I have another thing on the way... ;)

----------

----------

over 2 months of anticipation and all for nothing, I feel your pain Gamer. :(

Yeah, I could have used the money as well. I really wanted a Griffin iMate, a new battery for my iBook G4, and a new hard drive for my MacBook Pro. I guess I'll need to find an alternative way to get the money for all of those things. Hopefully I'll start working soon.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Isn't the fact of the new case design and silver in colour why it is CALLED a "QuickSilver"? P.S My high school used a QS for a music production Mac. It ran OS 9.2.2 with ProTools
You make a good point and in this instance I won't argue because silver is technically a 'gray'.

I've just always seen it as a gray case though. In comparison to the silver paint on an Aluminum PowerBook or a G5, the case color on the QS and MDDs is gray, IMO.

But that's just me. :)

bse5150

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2014

That sucks! What a let down. :(

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Unfortunately that's what I thought.

My mom is a retired teacher, but when she was teaching one of her classes was Yearbook. The computers they used for that were Macs (iBooks as far as I know).

Anything purchased for a school is on contract (or via a grant) with the state. In my mom's case she was able to bring home and keep a few iBooks because the IT department at her school eventually replaced them with MacBooks. Thus, they became surplus and were then able to be sold or given away by the IT department.

Given that the G4s you speak of were covered under a grant, then yeah, the state would have to be contacted. That's because the terms of the grant will have changed - and that can have legal repercussions.

A.Goldberg

macrumors 68030
Jan 31, 2015
Boston
That sounds a lot like my school system. When I was in High School over the summer of 2006 and 2007 I worked for the technology department moving in and out new and old computers.

The school system literally had 2 entire shipping containers full of Apple computers from their switch to PC's in 2005. It was like a time capsule of apple- from LCII's to white G3's to Clamshell iBooks and colored iMacs, to G4 iMacs, G5 iMacs, PowerMac G4 Quicksilvers, etc, etc, etc.

All of this stuff was no longer being used- hundreds of computers. Rather than selling it or giving it away, this stuff just sat in the storage containers depreciating. They couldn't get rid of it without authorization from the town and state (since some of it was grant $$$). At the time, many of these computers were still very usable... but no... they had to rot away in leaking shipping containers parked behind the public works building.

I imagine the computers are still there today. Such a waste...

Gamer9430

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 22, 2014
USA
That sounds a lot like my school system. When I was in High School over the summer of 2006 and 2007 I worked for the technology department moving in and out new and old computers.

The school system literally had 2 entire shipping containers full of Apple computers from their switch to PC's in 2005. It was like a time capsule of apple- from LCII's to white G3's to Clamshell iBooks and colored iMacs, to G4 iMacs, G5 iMacs, PowerMac G4 Quicksilvers, etc, etc, etc.

All of this stuff was no longer being used- hundreds of computers. Rather than selling it or giving it away, this stuff just sat in the storage containers depreciating. They couldn't get rid of it without authorization from the town and state (since some of it was grant $$$). At the time, many of these computers were still very usable... but no... they had to rot away in leaking shipping containers parked behind the public works building.

I imagine the computers are still there today. Such a waste...

Wouldn't suprise me if that happens to them. However, if they go along with upgrading them. They may move them to storage, in which my friend, the tech coordinator, can give them to me. That's how I got my Dell Optiplex 360. It belonged to the State, but he gave everyone in the computer club one and recycled the rest.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.