Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ssl0408

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2013
New York
Oh dear guys, TLC can cause problems in the future. Like your screen freezes it's probably the TLC chip.

Try getting swapped at apple store and see what they say.

And also when you supposedly fill up the phone with say 100 gb it will crash even more.

jeremiah239

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2007
239 Area, FL
Well I have a December build date, how would I guarantee the replacement would be MLC if I supposedly have one of the latest run iPhones.

I haven't had a single crash or lock up in the few days I've had it and I'm on the thing all the time, it's half way filled up and I plan on using more space so I hope it continues that way.

I'm not gonna replace it until/unless I have an issue though I just don't se the point.

ssl0408

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2013
New York
Well I have a December build date, how would I guarantee the replacement would be MLC if I supposedly have one of the latest run iPhones.

I haven't had a single crash or lock up in the few days I've had it and I'm on the thing all the time, it's half way filled up and I plan on using more space so I hope it continues that way.

I'm not gonna replace it until/unless I have an issue though I just don't se the point.

If you are not having any problems then I would keep it. Don't worry about it; just something to be aware of. It sucks that Apple cut corners though to save a few bucks.

jeremiah239

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2007
239 Area, FL
Does this mean apple is still (never stopped) using TLC or did they go back to it for some reason, like MLC supply issues or something?

cuongnq

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2014
Please go here http://www.pgyer.com/tlccheck

Click install. And press Trust. Once loaded if your device says default bits per cell = 2 (it's MLC). If it says 3 then its TLC. And if you scroll down it says who's made it under Vendor name.

Once checked. You can delete the app.

Is it safe? Website is from china and this App is unidentified developer.

Harry8

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2014
United Kingdom
It's safer than jail breaking to find out. Once installed you can delete the app within few minutes :)

----------

Does this mean apple is still (never stopped) using TLC or did they go back to it for some reason, like MLC supply issues or something?

Not too sure but it looks like the supply chain (to meet demand), apple used TLC. But it's 50/50 on what you get. You can always get it replaced if it plays up.

Harry8

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2014
United Kingdom
hey guys just an update. got an iPhone 6 64gb today from apple store. It's an MLC and week 49 (December) possibly the freshest one i've had.

eclipsevv

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2012

As far as I know, all 128GB iPhone 6 models (past, present and future) are TLC and there are really no plans to switch. If anything, I'd expect production to switch to TLC only once reported problems are sorted out, not the opposite way.

For perspective, this is the predicted TLC vs MLC outlook for the next few years; if you think that Apple+Samsung cover 30% of the total NAND market, that means both of them are going to switch to TLC almost exclusively.

Xy2IfQn.jpg

Anyway, not all TLC NANDs are bad, most are perfect (at least mine is, never had a single reboot in months).

Last edited:

Cole Slaw

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 6, 2006
Canada
Well I received my week 40 iPhone 6 Plus (128 GB) several days ago.
I set it up as a new phone and then loaded it to within 6 GBs of it's storage capacity.
Have been running it like that since then and haven't had any problems with it whatsoever. Cosmetically it seems flawless.
If I continue to have no problems with it after another say 10 days it'll be a keeper and I can then get rid of the 50 GBs of stuff I put in there to "test" it (I've read the supposed rebooting issues occur when the phone is near full capacity).

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Dec 15, 2013
New York
My phone was manufactured back in August and its perfectly fine. Don't worry about have a problem on a phone you haven't gotten yet just because it was made a few months ago. It probably wont have any problem and Apple would replace it if it did... No need to worry about the manufactured date that's just crazy.

Attachments

• IMG_3196.PNG
    IMG_3196.PNG
    77.4 KB · Views: 88

thorskywalker

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2009
Re:

I am planning to buy my very first iPhone tomorrow and I am wondering, has anyone come across a 128GB iPhone 6 with MLC? I am in Europe and the local store told me their 128GB iPhone 6 stock is from late october-early november. Does that mean it is 100% TLC?

Harry8

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2014
United Kingdom
I am planning to buy my very first iPhone tomorrow and I am wondering, has anyone come across a 128GB iPhone 6 with MLC? I am in Europe and the local store told me their 128GB iPhone 6 stock is from late october-early november. Does that mean it is 100% TLC?

It's hit and miss really. A lot of the 6 plus stock in many shops hasn't been refreshed as they've always had them in stock. You can buy one and try your luck.

hayden1250

macrumors regular
Oct 3, 2011
Auckland, New Zealand
Purchased mine on Sunday. November. No problems at all

Nice Name: iPhone 6 plus
Family name:
Group1: iPhone
Group2: 6 plus
Generation:
CPU speed: 1.4GHz
Screen size: 5.5 inch
Screen resolution: 1920x1080 pixels
Colour: Space Gray
Production year: 2014
Production week: 44 (November)
Model introduced: 2014
Capacity: 64GB
Memory - flavour: xx
Memory - maximum total: 2GB

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.