Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I was actually trying to figure that out but don't think they list their blends, I could pry contact them but figured ehhh oh well lets see how it is lol. Mocha Java is almost always some type of blend of African and Indonesia beans, generally Ethiopian and Sumatra/Yeman.

That surprises me, as most companies list the various beans - and their location, and sometimes, their altitude along with actual bean varietal - that go into a blend either on the packet, or on their website.

Anyway, I shall await your comments as to origin with interest; even more interest will be reserved for your (eventual) tasting notes. Enjoy!

Kurwenal

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2012
Aaaaah. Cue sound of whimper of (muted) desire……

What a beautiful objet d'art - and do, pray tell, let us know how the coffee is when you have made some with it……...

Ah, you know, I love the Chemex. :D

When I have a nice cup from the Chemex, I think to myself: "self, that is better than the French Press."

Then, later, when I have a nice cup from the French Press, I think to myself: "self, that is better than the Chemex."

Apparently, I am fickle and easily swayed by whatever shiny bangle is in front of me.

I hope y'all are having a great, wonderful holiday season.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Ah, you know, I love the Chemex. :D

When I have a nice cup from the Chemex, I think to myself: "self, that is better than the French Press."

Then, later, when I have a nice cup from the French Press, I think to myself: "self, that is better than the Chemex."

Apparently, I am fickle and easily swayed by whatever shiny bangle is in front of me.

I hope y'all are having a great, wonderful holiday season.

But does one have to choose which 'shiny bangle' one prefers, and stick with that, or, can one select both to enjoy as mood and need suggest?

I love my French Press, but will admit to being tempted sorely by a hand-blown Chemex. Indeed, I will admit to being somewhat intrigued by the soon-to-be-unveiled 'Ottomatic' that they are supposed make available from 2015?

Meanwhile, my warm best wishes for a wonderful holiday season to you all, too.

Don't panic

macrumors 603
Jan 30, 2004
having a drink at Milliways
this morning i was having a (good) cappuccino at a local coffe-shop, where they keep a few coffee-related books.
my attention was caught by this book
41iSMWLeK5L.jpg

I only read a chapter, but it is a very interesting read, which may be appreciated by quite a few coffee-enthusiasts if you need a different christmas present.

it is VERY science-heavy (a lot of chemistry and biochemistry/biophysics, from a quick browse of the rest of the book), but that is what makes it interesting to me, and i suspect a bunch of other coffee-geeks.

thought some of you might appreciate ;)

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
this morning i was having a (good) cappuccino at a local coffe-shop, where they keep a few coffee-related books.
I only read a chapter, but it is a very interesting read, which may be appreciated by quite a few coffee-enthusiasts if you need a different christmas present.

it is VERY science-heavy (a lot of chemistry and biochemistry/biophysics, from a quick browse of the rest of the book), but that is what makes it interesting to me, and i suspect a bunch of other coffee-geeks.

Oooooooh, interesting!

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.

Nothing beats a bit of arcane, esoteric stuff on coffee, or other interesting foods, spices and so on.

Well, I am the sort that will happily buy (and spend a day lost in) a book with a title like 'The Story of Wine', or nutmeg, or tulips, or anything else which is interesting and unusual…….

So, thank you for this interesting prompt. Much appreciated.

Last edited:

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
It's about that time again for me to choose another batch of coffee as my Brazilian Silver Bridge batch is coming close to an end.

Does anyone have a recommendation for me and my French Press?

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
It's about that time again for me to choose another batch of coffee as my Brazilian Silver Bridge batch is coming close to an end.

Well, just now I am awaiting a consignment from Intelligentsia which contains a few coffees I have never tried before. Indeed, I am not even certain that it will arrive before Christmas - but will let you all know when it does.

And no, I am not daring to order a Chemex until the post Christmas rush has subsided - a beautiful piece of glassware delivered in smithereens would be a horror too awful and heart-breaking to have to contemplate.

This morning, I heated some hot milk (organic, and full) to go with a French Press pot for 'Los Delirios' from Nicaragua, and made a version of a latte, which was quite delicious.

Don't panic

macrumors 603
Jan 30, 2004
Nothing beats a bit of arcane, esoteric stuff on coffee, or other interesting foods, spices and so on.

Well, I am the sort that will happily buy (and spend a day lost in) a book with a title like 'The Story of Wine', or nutmeg, or tulips, or anything else which is interesting and unusual…….

So, thank you for this interesting prompt. Much appreciated.

this might belong to the other thread, but did you ever read Salt: a world history by Mark Kurlansky? a surprisingly good read. i know you'd love it ;)

as far as the Espresso book above, i should make clear that the format is that of a collection of scientific papers on different aspects of espresso making (science and technology), which each thematic chapter by a different set of authors. One is entirely devoted to the art (and technical/scientific consequences) of grinding, which i am sure at least one contributor to this thread will find enticing ;)

so it is not a 'story' of coffee

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
this might belong to the other thread, but did you ever read Salt: a world history by Mark Kurlansky? a surprisingly good read. i know you'd love it ;)

as far as the Espresso book above, i should make clear that the format is that of a collection of scientific papers on different aspects of espresso making (science and technology), which each thematic chapter by a different set of authors. One is entirely devoted to the art (and technical/scientific consequences) of grinding, which i am sure at least one contributor to this thread will find enticing ;)

so it is not a 'story' of coffee

Thanks a lot for this.

I have read 'Salt' by Mark Kurlansky and agree completely with you; it is an absolutely fascinating read.

Have you read (and this is not a competition - merely shared delight at finding someone who shares a taste for stuff that tickles the mind) Mark Kurlansky's book called 'Cod' (yes, the fish). This is an outstanding book, absolutely fascinating, extremely well written, and full of historical insights, mental connections and vignettes I had never thought of (there is a very interesting section on the history of refrigeration and how the industry and profession of fishing was affected by this, not to mention fish stocks.)

Over a decade ago, a former student recommended it to me - and I found it absolutely brilliant, and yes, that is when I read 'Salt', too..

In a slight overlap (between codfish, and the Basque region, as the Basque region made a fortune in the Middle Ages while fishing for cod; Kurlansky argues that they may have tripped over Newfoundland a while before Columbus & Co encountered what was later named the Americas further south, and decided that it would not be in their best interests to mention this discovery as others might seek to deprive them of their lucrative sources of fishing) the same Mark Kurlansky also wrote an excellent book on the history of the Basques - I forget the exact title, but it was a gripping and really interesting read.

Last edited:

Don't panic

macrumors 603
Jan 30, 2004

Thanks a lot for this.

I have read 'Salt' by Mark Kurlansky and agree completely with you; it is an absolutely fascinating read. Have you read (and this is not a competition - merely shared delight at finding someone who shares a taste for stuff that tickles the mind) Mark Kurlansky's book called 'Cod' (yes, the fish). The is an outstanding book, absolutely fascinating, extremely well written, and full of historical insights, mental connections and vignettes I had never thought of (there is a very interesting section on the history of refrigeration and how the industry and profession of fishing was affected by this, not tom mention fish stocks.)

Over a decade ago, a former student recommended it to me - and I found it absolutely brilliant, and yes, that is when I read 'Salt', too..

In a slight overlap (between codfish, and the Basque region, as the Basque region made a fortune in the Middle Ages while fishing for cod; Kurlansky argues that they may have tripped over Newfoundland a while before Columbus & Co encountered what was later named the Americas further south, and decided that it would not be in their best interests to mention this discovery as others might seek to deprive them of their lucrative sources of fishing) the same Mark Kurlansky also wrote an excellent book on the history of the Basques - I forget the exact title, but it was a gripping and really interesting read.
:) indeed, 'Cod' has been on my list for some time, but it is a rather long list, so i am not sure when i'll get to a lot of it.
that said, i'll stop hijacking the espresso thread :D

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
:) indeed, 'Cod' has been on my list for some time, but it is a rather long list, so i am not sure when i'll get to a lot of it.
that said, i'll stop hijacking the espresso thread :D

The espresso thread wanders wonderfully at times; I'm sure the regular denizens do not mind reference to anything which further furnishes the mind with interesting stuff.

Re 'Cod', I'd strongly recommend that you allow it to jump the queue, or slip it further up the list, - it is that good. I thoroughly enjoyed it - it is that rare pleasure, an exceptionally well written and supremely interesting history book.

As a former student of history (well, I'll be a student of history, one way or another, until I die), and as a former teacher of history, I used to be baffled at how so many professional practitioners (i,.e. professional historians) could take, what to me was a riveting subject, and proceed to slaughter it and murder it with the most turgid of prose………thus, when I come across a book that is both sound history, and a rollicking good read, I'm transported…...

WoodNUFC

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2009
A Library

If you haven't tried Silver Bridge's 614 Blend, I'd recommend it. It has been our go to blend over the last month, when we can it in Kroger.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I forget who, but I think someone mentioned http://www.ritualroasters.com at some point in this lovely thread and I bookmarked their website.

As I am still looking around for a new batch to purchase, I decided to click on this page. They're in San Francisco and I just have one thing giving me a moment of pause with them. It's their logo. It has, shall we say, Communist overtones to its design and I wonder about that.

Screen Shot 2014-12-20 at 9.10.01 AM.png

Does anyone know more about them and what they stand for? I'm not seeing anything related on their website.

SactoGuy18

macrumors 601
Sep 11, 2006
Sacramento, CA USA
By the way, how finely you grind the coffee beans makes a huge difference depending on the coffeemaker.

You want a very coarse grind if you're using a percolator, Bialetti moka pot or a press pot. That way, the grind doesn't end up in the coffee liquid itself. You can get away with a finer grind if you're using a Chemex or a standard drip coffeemaker; you need an even finer ground if you're using a real espresso machine like a Rancilio Silvia. And of course, you have to grind the coffee to a fine powder if you want to make true Turkish-style coffee using an ibrik.

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
I forget who, but I think someone mentioned http://www.ritualroasters.com at some point in this lovely thread and I bookmarked their website.

As I am still looking around for a new batch to purchase, I decided to click on this page. They're in San Francisco and I just have one thing giving me a moment of pause with them. It's their logo. It has, shall we say, Communist overtones to its design and I wonder about that.

View attachment 520497

Does anyone know more about them and what they stand for? I'm not seeing anything related on their website.

I'm probably the one to have mentioned them. I've had a few nice pour overs at their store front in the Mission. Hey, who says Communists can't roast and brew good coffee? ;)

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I'm probably the one to have mentioned them. I've had a few nice pour overs at their store front in the Mission. Hey, who says Communists can't roast and brew good coffee? ;)

Well, I do know that Italian communists can roast and brew superlative coffee. Mind you, so can Italian mafiosi, as well as Italian priests and Italian vendors.

Then, again, it might be something to do more with coffee than with communism…...

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Still lashing rain, with shrieking winds.

However, today, a courier rang the doorbell, and proceeded to deliver two solid parcels from Intelligentsia Coffee……my emergency supply to tide me over the Yuletide season…..

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Opened the 'Celebration Blend' (coffee) from Intelligentsia on Christmas Day (a fortunate coincidence - as I had just finished my previous coffee, but the timing was not planned.)

Intelligentsia produce a 'Celebration Blend' each year, but the precise blend differs from year to year, as they select different varieties of bean from different regions and different sources.

This year's blend features beans from Ethiopia, Costa Rica and Rwanda. I had to check the label because when drinking it, I had noticed the clean, bright, (and yes, light) notes I find that I like in Ethiopian coffee.

Anyway, a lovely, clean, bright, refreshing coffee which I have to say I am enjoying.

Big Stevie

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2012
UK
All but ran out of beans today, so I've ordered some more. This time I decided to give Has Bean a try. Ordered two different types...

ScreenShot2014-12-27at151116_zps88ab282e.png

ScreenShot2014-12-27at151151_zps6a41e852.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.