Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

T-Will

macrumors 65816
Sep 8, 2008
Went through 18 Jawbone UPs. Not getting another unless they're free.

I'm soon to be on #3. The first two UP24's have died after about 6 months for no apparent reason. I do still think it is a great product, if they could fix this dying band issue.

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010
Jawbone is the most interesting player in the wearable game to me, right now.

my dad is getting one for christmas. will not do FitBit since they refuse to share device data with HealthKit. funk dat.

----------

I still think the idea of all the time fitness trackers is a solution looking for a customer. Sure a lot of people TALK about tracking their activity, and counting their calories, and monitoring their vital statistics. Usually it's in line at McDonalds or sitting in front of the TV. When it gets right down to it I suspect most of these things would get used for a few weeks and then will gather dust in a sock drawer. I just don't believe there's anywhere near the market out there that these companies, Apple included, think there is.

i dont know anyone whos said that to be a mcdonald's fan. links or it didnt happen.

Last edited:

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010
How many people get gym memberships, and never go
How many people have a treadmill, they never use.
How many people resolve to loose weight, but don't.
How many people say they're going to take up running, and stop with the first cold morning.

The health and fitness industry is driven by a small percentage of people that are very serious about it, and a lot of people that say they're going to do something, but never do. The idea that Apple or any of the other companies expect to sell tens or hundreds of millions of devices to track health stats is nuts. They are betting heavily on most people starting to pay more than lip service to tracking their health stats. IMO that's is way overly optimistic.

how is that any different than the photography industry? painting? any personal hobby or interest? peoples interest in things comes & goes like the wind. big deal, thats the world.

not seeing the point of the critics.

jadot

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2010
UK
It's allabout the Fitbug Orb Isn't it? You know the ones that Fitbit (allegedly) ripped off.
Kiqplan is one of the smartest smart device business plans out there for wearables.

Neodym

macrumors 68020
Jul 5, 2002
The idea that Apple or any of the other companies expect to sell tens or hundreds of millions of devices to track health stats is nuts.
Oh, I did not know Apple was going for a health tracker. The only product I know about is the Apple watch, where health tracking is only a (smaller) part of the functionality. Could you tell me more?

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
I'd feel right a home wearing this...

Looks comfy :D If only the Apple watch straps were this good bands.

christian_k

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2005
Germany
I still think the idea of all the time fitness trackers is a solution looking for a customer. Sure a lot of people TALK about tracking their activity, and counting their calories, and monitoring their vital statistics. Usually it's in line at McDonalds or sitting in front of the TV. When it gets right down to it I suspect most of these things would get used for a few weeks and then will gather dust in a sock drawe.

People are different! In 2006 my BMI was some 32 and I was suffering health problems. I started swimming, later moved on to inline skating, cycling and finally running. I have lost more than 30 Kg, reducing my BMI to 21. I completed my first marathon in April 2014 and I run 10k in less than 45 minutes in October. I have used various fitness gadgets over time. Currently I use a Polar RCX5. Purchased in November 2012. Totals: 315,000 calories in some 500 sessions.

I never cared to track my everyday (non exercise) activity and I do not think these bands (or the Apple Watch) are the right thing for me. But fitness gadgets in general are.

Christian

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
I get the logic to not get another, but how did you get to 18? How does it take 18 to get to that point?

When they were first released, they broke like crazy. They ended up pulling them off the market for almost a year. Current owners were refunded but allowed to keep them. They'd send another when it broken. Then the relaunched them but they still broke, just not as often. Finally I had one that lasted more than 90 days so they won't replace it under warranty. They've offered a $20 discount on a new one but why would I spend over $100 for something that has been so unreliable in the past? It's a great product when it works but not something I'd be cool spending money on.

----------

How are you using your jawbone?

I've had mine for months now without a problem, use it as a silent alarm every day!

Using it normally. Never shower with it even though you can. I don't use the alarm anymore but did some years back in 2011 when I first got it. The device itself is in good condition, it's the internals that like to fail. Button stops working or hardware stops responding.

----------

I went through 7... I emailed The Verge and many other tech sites trying to get some traction on the up v2.0 breaking after a few weeks of regular use (even after I stopped showering) and no one would follow up on it. I don't get why there is literally no news about the supposed updated version being just as bad, if not worse, than version 1.0. I loved the interface and design of the band, but finally gave up and moved to fitbit..

I agree. For me the new 2.0s lasted a little longer but not much. The originals were making it about a month. 2.0s lasted a month or two. Finally had one last more than 90 days so they won't replace it.

----------

I'm soon to be on #3. The first two UP24's have died after about 6 months for no apparent reason. I do still think it is a great product, if they could fix this dying band issue.

I agree. I've tried the others and like the UP the best but having them die after a couple months isn't acceptable.

aham23

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2011
This creeps me out. How long before your insurance premiums go up if you aren't exercising enough? Or before you "activity report" becomes a hiring or promotion factor. Maybe they can start tracking what you eat as well.

yes. this is the market for wearables. big time corporations with massive amounts of employees racking up massive amounts of medical bills because they are obese.

you want cheaper health insurance premiums from your employer then get healthy and be active. i see this as an opt in kind of thing to obtain cheaper premiums. if opt out, fine, then the same old rate tables apply to you, while those that work at being healthy get a discount.

sick employees cost employers millions of dollars in lost productivity and medical cost.

octothorpe8

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2014
yes. this is the market for wearables. big time corporations with massive amounts of employees racking up massive amounts of medical bills because they are obese.

you want cheaper health insurance premiums from your employer then get healthy and be active. i see this as an opt in kind of thing to obtain cheaper premiums. if opt out, fine, then the same old rate tables apply to you, while those that work at being healthy get a discount.

sick employees cost employers millions of dollars in lost productivity and medical cost.

Should they also be able to come into your house and inspect for tripping hazards, or check into your sex life to make sure you're protecting yourself from STDs? How about they put a monitor into your toilet to check your stools?

Just because you're cool with having a nanny doesn't mean actual adults are.

aham23

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2011
Should they also be able to come into your house and inspect for tripping hazards, or check into your sex life to make sure you're protecting yourself from STDs? How about they put a monitor into your toilet to check your stools?

Just because you're cool with having a nanny doesn't mean actual adults are.

classic response from the paranoid; "well if we allow that, then where does it end!"

you missed the point by a mile as well. "opt in" or "opt out" it will be a choice a person can make based on the knowledge of what the choice brings.

later kid.

octothorpe8

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2014
classic response from the paranoid; "well if we allow that, then where does it end!"

you missed the point by a mile as well. "opt in" or "opt out" it will be a choice a person can make based on the knowledge of what the choice brings.

Sure. "Opt in or opt out"... until people who refuse to be monitored are portrayed as reckless outliers and priced out of the marketplace.

And yes "if we allow that, then where does it end" is a very legitimate question. Classic response from those willing to lie down and take whatever corporate America wants to shove down their throats: "Don't worry, be happy!"

aham23

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2011
Sure. "Opt in or opt out"... until people who refuse to be monitored are portrayed as reckless outliers and priced out of the marketplace.

And yes "if we allow that, then where does it end" is a very legitimate question. Classic response from those willing to lie down and take whatever corporate America wants to shove down their throats: "Don't worry, be happy!"

incorrect.

carmenodie

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2008
A lot of folks are jumping on this bandwagon without even knowing what the all mighty **** they're doing. Once Iwatch drops the landscape will be cluttered with wearables.
I can see some a** clown soccer mom on Hoda and Kathy Lee pimping wearables for your ******* dog and cat.
She'd blabber some comporate spiel about how checking our pet's health is as important as checking our own.
Get ready!

rti92391

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2011
Update - Jawbone Up3 not shipping until 2015

The Jawbone Up3 will not ship before year end. I received a call from Jawbone indicating it would be 2015 before they ship in the US. I was one of the first to order the Up3 so they offered me an Up Move or $40 dollars off the order (which shows great customer service). However, they should have been able to deliver the product before year end. I understand their pitch of "wanting to make sure the product was perfect before shipping", I get it. But they've really had two years to make a great new device, since the Up24 was a minor upgrade from the original Up, only adding Bluetooth among other aesthetic changes. I'm not upset with them, but just disappointed. It is not a company that is ready to go public, which is their end goal (PE firms have been investing in them for a while). In short, the Jawbone Up3 is a 2015 product.

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
When they were first released, they broke like crazy. They ended up pulling them off the market for almost a year. Current owners were refunded but allowed to keep them. They'd send another when it broken. Then the relaunched them but they still broke, just not as often. Finally I had one that lasted more than 90 days so they won't replace it under warranty. They've offered a $20 discount on a new one but why would I spend over $100 for something that has been so unreliable in the past? It's a great product when it works but not something I'd be cool spending money on.

how many did you actually pay for? That's insane that they broke that much. I almost got my wife one. Decided too get her a fitbit charge instead as that's what she wanted.

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
how many did you actually pay for? That's insane that they broke that much. I almost got my wife one. Decided too get her a fitbit charge instead as that's what she wanted.

Didn't pay anything actually. When the recalled them shortly after release in Dec 2011, they refunded everyone's money and let them keep it.

Aniseedvan

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2012
UK
my dad is getting one for christmas. will not do FitBit since they refuse to share device data with HealthKit. funk dat.

As it stands the Up 4.0 app is seriously broken to the point iPhones were flat in hours if health kit was turned on. Turn it off and my up24 would hardly sync at all. I had an Up v2 for 6 months before it broke, the up24 went back after two weeks as the button was becoming loose already.

So just be patient on the health kit thing.

Hammie

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2009
Wash, DC Metro
Sometimes these types of devices are the motivator to get someone moving.

I was fit when I was younger. Active, played sports, and always outside doing something. Fast forward to my late twenties and I got a desk job, then married, then kids... When I hit 40, I was around 210 pounds (I'm 5'6", BTW) amd had a sedentary lifestyle. My "excercise" was walking up and down the stairs in the house. I knew I needed to change and I had the desire to, but just did not have the motivation.

I got a fitbit One. I enjoyed looking to see how many steps I took. How many more to hit my daily goal. And taking an extra jog or walk with the dog to make sure that I hit my goal.

You see, a lot of this is psychological. A gym membership, a treadmill, a diet is all great but sometimes a little device, or app, can be the final piece of the puzzle to actually make you do something.

Of course, everyone is different. What works for some will not always work for others. However, I have met a few people who have these types of devices and find they have the same motivation as me.

As far as being in businesses, I think it would only be beneficial if your job required you to be moving. If you had a desk job where you do not move much, it would be a waste of money to make sure that you staff are sitting as much as possible.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.