Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

moonman239

Cancelled
Original poster
Mar 27, 2009
A woman made the mistake of handing her phone to someone who said he needed to contact his mother. She handed him her iPhone, and he went to Starbucks. She went in, and got booted out before she had a chance to recover her phone.

Lesson to be learned: When a stranger asks to use your phone, kindly say "no." If you want to help, offer instead to either contact whoever the stranger wants to contact or dial the number and put the called person on speakerphone.

http://abc7news.com/news/woman-tracks-stolen-iphone-to-starbucks-asked-to-leave/422446/

s15119

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2010
One person had a bad experience. It wouldn't stop me from helping someone who needed my help.

mw360

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
A woman made the mistake of handing her phone to someone who said he needed to contact his mother. She handed him her iPhone, and he went to Starbucks. She went in, and got booted out before she had a chance to recover her phone.

Lesson to be learned: When a stranger asks to use your phone, kindly say "no." If you want to help, offer instead to either contact whoever the stranger wants to contact or dial the number and put the called person on speakerphone.

http://abc7news.com/news/woman-tracks-stolen-iphone-to-starbucks-asked-to-leave/422446/

Thanks for the advice to make the world that little bit worse for everyone. If someone appears to need help weigh the risk/benefit. Losing a phone really isn't all that bad compared to the damage that could be done by not helping someone who really needs help. Also weigh the damage done by every adult treating every teenager as a thief.

What she definitely did do wrong, according to psychologists, was to repeatedly ask 'somebody' to help. It doesn't work. If you need help in a public place, single out a specific individual and tell them what is happening and what you need them to do. Otherwise 'diffusion of responsibility' happens and normally helpful people assume someone else is already doing the right thing.

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
Your cellphone should never leave your hand. You dial, you speak for them and done. And it would have to be an emergency for me to do it for them or I would direct them to the closest landline or payphone. I for one, could never ask a stranger to use their cellphone. It would feel really strange, almost embarrassing to ask.

aaronvan

Suspended
Dec 21, 2011
República Cascadia
She did the right thing, offering to make the call for him. And then she inexplicably handed her iPhone to the teen.

I was screaming to the phone in Starbucks, please someone call the police," said Erwin.

She was screaming "to the phone in Starbucks?" What phone? Was she screaming at some payphone? Who was on the other end? Why didn't she call the police herself instead of screaming into the phone for someone else to call them? That sentence is complete nonsense.

Southern Dad

macrumors 68000
May 23, 2010
Shady Dale, Georgia
For some reason ne'er-do-wells just don't ask to use my cell phone, hold my wallet or whatever. It could be the large caliber sidearm on my side that discourages them.

Gutwrench

Suspended
Jan 2, 2011
I treat my phone like I treat my pee pee.. It stays in my pants most of the time and I only let someone I like handle it.

Unless you live in SF or maybe Portland, anywhere else if you're walking in public talking to your pee pee that's laying across your face you're going to jail, crisis unit, or the circus.

iBlazed

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2014
New Jersey, United States
For some reason ne'er-do-wells just don't ask to use my cell phone, hold my wallet or whatever. It could be the large caliber sidearm on my side that discourages them.

So if someone asked to use your phone, and you stupidly gave it to them and they ran off with it, you would shoot them? I don't think that would count as self defense...

iBlazed

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2014
New Jersey, United States
It isn't an issue because the ne'er-do-wells decide to look for another victim. They like helpless sheep.

And everyone who doesn't open carry a gun on their side is a helpless sheep (99% of society)? What a paranoid world you choose to live in. I feel sorry for you, it's really pathetic actually. And you often forget you're in the minority with that. Your placebo won't help you if someone catches you off guard. And with that gun on your side, you're a prime target! Good luck.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.