Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bigalow

macrumors member
Feb 16, 2012
I think these apps are just the beginning of a shift to more enterprise orientated services. Apple will really make an enterprise presence as soon as IBM begins supplying employees with Apple hardware.

usarioclave

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2003
I think these apps are just the beginning of a shift to more enterprise orientated services. Apple will really make an enterprise presence as soon as IBM begins supplying employees with Apple hardware.

I remember the days when IBM was supposed to buy Apple. Good times!

rekhyt

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2008
Part of the old MR guard.
If consumer is so good... What happened to Nokia? ;)

Hahahahaha love it. :D

Latter-day Apple is adept at walking and chewing gum at the same time. They'll do well in both markets. Similarly, they do well as a cell phone manufacturer, media distributor, retailer, computer manufacturer, etc etc. Why doubt that they can find a way to succeed in consumer and enterprise computing markets, especially with as established a partner as IBM?

As to "what happened to Blackberry," it's pretty simple: they were blind to the disruption of their market that the iPhone represented. Dismissive, even. They are paying for that now.

In a way, Blackberry vs. iPhone is a great example of why "consumer" vs. "enterprise" is a false divide.

Keep in mind that Apple's way is to find something that sucks and upend it. If anything in computing is ripe for an Apple-class solution, it's the whole BYOD mess. That's what this is all about.

The alliance between Apple and IBM is one of the more momentous things to come of Apple in the past five years, and it has Tim Cook's fingerprints all over it. Small wonder, seeing as he's an ex-IBMer himself. I expect great things from this collaboration from both companies.

Gotcha. Love the analogy as well.

I don't think you'll find too many people bemoaning the reinvigorated interest in enterprise and "professional" users of any type. If they start to re-cater to the pros in the way that many here imagined they did (whether or not it was quite a rosy as it appeared), you'll have many an exultation.

Yeah wouldn't mind the Pro gear focusing more on specs. Maxwell nVidia cards please, for the 2015 rMBPs.

doelcm82

macrumors 68040
Feb 11, 2012
Florida, USA
I'm curious, are they moving away from an existing CRM/SFA solution or is it their first take on CRM/SFA?

Currently using a variety of "best of class" systems that don't play well together.

Oracle ERP is our primary system. That's my area, and it really won't go away soon.

Apple Corps

macrumors 68030
Apr 26, 2003
California
Why? Just for Apple to gain marketshare in the enterprise arena and decide to scale back in the consumer market?

Also, if enterprise is so good... What happened to Blackberry? ;)

Why the wink about Blackberry? They were comatose / so asleep at the switch - they did not keep up with what was going on all around them. A physical keyboard and security were hardly viable barriers to new competition in the "Enterprise" market.

maverick28

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2014
Apple/IBM combination always stirred up my blood. Come on guys, when should I expect the new Powerbook (as for now, it would bear the name of "PowerBook 8")?

sinfonye

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2010
Apple has the ability to do well at both, especially since the lines are increasingly blurred.

Moreover, it's a partnership. IBM sell into the enterprise space, Apple provide the hardware. This is the point at which Microsoft should get seriously worried.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Moreover, it's a partnership. IBM sell into the enterprise space, Apple provide the hardware. This is the point at which Microsoft should get seriously worried.

Why? IBM software hasn't exactly killed Microsoft in the enterprise. This won't either. And IBM being onboard won't suddenly make the people in charge of the money go away from laptops that cost either the same or less than an iPad without a keyboard.

vladi

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2010
Are you being facetious? Blackberry/BES has ceased being a serious competitor to Apple in enterprise for quite some time now.

Yes thanks to that awesome iOS MDM service known as iEnterprise. Blows BES12 out of the water man!

And now did you see this new plane app they just put out? Like OMG how pilots could have ever flown with out, I mean how did they know how much fuel they have? Now they don't have to guesstimate anymore they have an app for that while they are flying in their cockpits.

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011
Currently using a variety of "best of class" systems that don't play well together.

Oracle ERP is our primary system. That's my area, and it really won't go away soon.

I know Siebel, it used to be the leader in crm market, dropped to number 3 after oracle bought Siebel. Gotta tell you, salesforce marketing is incredible, their system is great but is incredibly expensive. They are starting to show their age, just like Siebel did in 2002-2003.

Last edited:

rdlink

macrumors 68040
Nov 10, 2007
Out of the Reach of the FBI
Blackberry had other issues - they lost their way.

Blackberry didn't really "lose their way." They never "found their way."

The idea that BB was some visionary company that just lost their way is a fallacy. They had one killer product: Secure, push email. They were mediocre, at best in every other area of their business. Their hardware was meh. The PIM functionality was pretty bad, compared to others in the industry. Palm was a much, much better PIM platform. But they could never get their act together on push email.

Once the iPhone came to market, and offered reliable, secure enterprise push email that didn't require a massive reinvestment in architecture for businesses, on top of a platform that was much more user friendly, BB was trailing from the front.

When BB finally understood that their golden goose (the BES/BIS infrastructure) was no longer impervious to competition they started working hard to try to save their business by trying to build more consumer friendly devices. But by then they were being totally outclassed by Apple, and some Android handset makers.

Four or five years after Apple had introduced the iPhone RIM/BB was still trying to get people to buy into two-inch screens, with WAP browsers.

The BES 10 environment is not a bad one, and some of their newer hardware is decent. Not as good as the iPhone, IMO. But better than most Android phones. But by the time BB came out with BES 10 and hardware that could compete, most enterprises had moved on. Although they were offering low cost upgrades to BES 10 for customers on the BES 7 system, companies decided that they didn't want to invest the time and effort to implement and maintain a dying technology. If BB had been able to offer BES 10 in the cloud on day one they might have slowed some of the bleeding.

Aluminum213

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2012
If your mobility device embarrasses you perhaps you should look at moving to a different platform. PM me and I'll make you an offer on that iPad Air 2... ;)

I love the iPad Air 2, it's easily may favorite Apple device, you can see me other devices in my signature. Just frustrating how apple does zero to optimize iOS for the iPad

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.