Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Boomhowler

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 23, 2008
It can handle 4k per cable, but I guess that since MST is already supported (Dell up2414q for example) it "should" not be much hassle to make it work for the 5k .. I guess :)

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
Yeah exactly, but that's from the Dell screen right? Not from any mac-specs?

No. that's from Dell's specs.

Optimal resolution:
5120 x 2880 at 60 Hz (Dual DP cable required)
3840 x 2160 at 60Hz (single DP cable required)

And. For the price Dell advertises I'd just spent a bit more and get the new 27" 5K iMac.

ckeck

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2005
Texas
Tested thoroughly this past weekend and it does not appear to work on any Mac, including the nMP regardless of which bus the monitor it connected to.

The display will run 4K @ 60Hz perfectly, but it cannot detect any 5K capabilities. No love with SwitchresX either.

My guess is it's simply a Mac OS software/driver issue for the moment. Bummer.

edanuff

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2008
Tested thoroughly this past weekend and it does not appear to work on any Mac, including the nMP regardless of which bus the monitor it connected to.

The display will run 4K @ 60Hz perfectly, but it cannot detect any 5K capabilities. No love with SwitchresX either.

That was with both cables connected to the nMP? Interesting, would have expected seeing something even if the Mac thought it was two displays.

ckeck

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2005
Texas
That was with both cables connected to the nMP? Interesting, would have expected seeing something even if the Mac thought it was two displays.

Yes, both cabled connected and on separate TB buses. The monitor was recognized, but only as a 2440x1440 single panel. Sometimes it would show a second "screen" in the display settings, but you could not select it or do anything.

It wouldn't "combine" them into a single 5K resolution screen leading me to believe it's just a software/driver issue currently. If I used the other single Mini Displayport cable that Dell provided for 4K2K support, the 4K resolution worked just fine @ 60Hz, but that is now what we are paying a massive premium for on this display of course :eek:

MrJandali

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2013

Your comments on the Dell 5k are appreciated here since I´ll order this display asa it´s available here in Germany. (should be 01/23) Disappointing the screen just works on 4K, which has to be a software issue. Anyway, are the scaling modes in system prefs available or not ? Thanks !

PS: Did you try out Windows ? Same result or different ?

Last edited:

ckeck

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2005
Texas
Your comments on the Dell 5k are appreciated here since I´ll order this display asa it´s available here in Germany. (should be 01/23) Disappointing the screen just works on 4K, which has to be a software issue. Anyway, are the scaling modes in system prefs available or not ? Thanks !

PS: Did you try out Windows ? Same result or different ?

There are several scaling modes in System Preferences when you get it running in 4K mode and even more using a tool like SwitchresX, but unfortunately no 5K resolution/options yet.

Windows runs at 5K perfectly however. That said, scaling isn't perfect in all apps but certainly useful. I tested this on my Windows machine which has a GTX 980 running the two DP cables and the latest Nvidia drivers. Pretty seamless. Certainly an awesome display when you can use 5K, but it's not worth the price to run in 4K unless there is a fix on the horizon from Apple (don't hold your breath).

MrJandali

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2013
The UP2715K is finally deliverable here in Germany.

Two facts let me hope that a new Mac Pro might be able to run 5k at least on Bootcamp Windows 8.1.

1) According to

http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/SLN295121/EN

"UP2715K 5K display is not supported on Mac. Displaying 5K resolution on UP2715K requires 2 x DP1.2 cable connection with DisplayID support. Mac drivers currently do not support 2 x DP1.2 configuration with DisplayID."

Bootcamp Windows might support DisplayID. It also states that this is a driver problem.

2) Recently I got a LG 31MU97 with 4k Cinema resolution. It is running on Yosemite just on 50Hz - after applying a tweak. But it runs perfectly fine on 60Hz "out of the box" on Bootcamp Windows.

So things might be working on Bootcamp Windows.

If anyone here owns a new Mac Pro (2013) and a UP2715K I would suggest him or her to hook up the display with 2x DP and boot up Bootcamp Windows to see if it works. Probably - if it works - it will do that using 2 mDP ports that belong together on the Mac Pro. (either both right or left side or the two next to each other on bottom). A guy who uses the UP2715K with his Quad-SLI system tells that 2 ports on a single card had to be used, connecting ports from different cards failed. Another solution might be a Dual DP cable, if the Dell supports DP 1.3. Just a thought.

Hopefully someone here with a nMP will try and share his / her experiences here. Thanks in advance.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.