Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sherlockaled

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2010
Berkeley, CA, USA
After much consideration I've decided on the most ideal set up for me.

Portable headphones: Beats Solo 2

For the price point (I even got them on sale on Black Friday) they are fantastic. Compact, very balanced sound (with a slight lean towards the bass), closed, and it looks nice as well. All important factors for a portable headphone. I thought every beats headphone before is was mediocre, but this is a really solid quality headphone for the type!

Home headphone: Phillips Fidelio X2

I wanted a non compromising headphone for dedicated listening. I was thinking about the Sennheiser HD 600, but this one did not need. An external amp to power it. So I thought this would be best. Incredible sound. It sounds like I am at a concert during every song! The build quality is top notch, comfort is great, it's really a fantastic indoor headphone!

I tried different headphones, but between comfort and sound quality it just was not working out. I figured two headphones would better utilize my audio needs!
Hi, this is not relating to headphones but what case are you using for the iphone? It looks very nice!

Venderious

macrumors regular
Dec 15, 2014
Groningen
After having used some old crappy solo HD's.. That broke, I decided to email beats and after about a month they sent me these in the mail. I can say I'm fairly impressed with them! :)

The_New_Beats_Solo_HD_Matte_Black_Headphones.jpg

Rocketpaul

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2012
London
After having used some old crappy solo HD's.. That broke, I decided to email beats and after about a month they sent me these in the mail. I can say I'm fairly impressed with them! :)

I must say monster cable have really good customer service. I bought a pair of monster turbine golds in 2011 and they have been replacing them for free under the lifetime warranty ever since.

kaielement

macrumors 65816
Dec 16, 2010
I must say monster cable have really good customer service. I bought a pair of monster turbine golds in 2011 and they have been replacing them for free under the lifetime warranty ever since.

You know moster hasn't owned beats for awhile and apple now owns them.

bobfitz14

macrumors 65816
Oct 14, 2008
Massachusetts
Neither pictures are mine.

1. Harman Kardon BT headphones. Love the sound but they're kind of uncomfortable so I can't wear them for more than a half hour at a time. Nor do I wear them when I have my glasses on, they pinch at my temple a bit. I actually bent one of the metal headbands to make it fit better and it helped.

2. Ultimate Ears 600vi. Infatuated with these. I beat the crap out of these through daily wear and tear and after a year the cable is just starting to deteriorate. I had Klipsch S4i's and the cable lasted about 6 months before it started to fall apart.

I'm debating the UE 900s as my replacements given the cable replacement ability and my overall satisfaction with the 600's.
71jeHpsWlNL._SL1500_.jpg

Anyone have any thoughts on the 900s or about UE build quality in general?

So I ended up purchasing the UE 900s and they are fantastic. Absolutely glued to these suckers.
I rarely use my Harman Kardon BT headphones because they give me a headache as they are uncomfortable to wear for more than a half hour at a time. If anyone wants to buy them make an offer, they've had approximately 10 hours of use.

gooberq

macrumors member
Feb 12, 2009
Back beat pro

Bluetooth back beat pro, like this.

Attachments

• backbeat pro.jpg
    backbeat pro.jpg
    282.8 KB · Views: 119

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
Got a pair of these for Christmas after my in-ear headphones broke last month:

T2hBbEXNVaXXXXXXXX_!!2070478799.jpg

(Not my photo)

Hadn't asked for any particular model of headphones, perhaps wouldn't have chosen Beats myself but, hey, they look nice, are solidly built and were a gift so I'm not complaining!

The low end is quite exaggerated, but for electronic and dance music they sound quite good. I'm only going to be listening to them when walking and on public transport, so much better sound quality is probably wasted on me.

Trying to see if I can get some Comply foam tips for them, but the urBeats aren't listed on their website. Oh well.

Last edited:

kbfr08

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2007
I didn't get a chance to listen to them, but they used the same technology as the P7's so I assume it does sound a little better.

I was planning to buy the 685's as well, but the CM1 serie also received an update and it looked so much nicer in the 'piano' black paint. Plus the speaker grill now uses magnets, so no more holes in the new speakers :)

Didn't the CM1s always use magnets? I just got a pair of piano black CM1 series 1 for $600 from Best Buy on clearance and mine use magnets, unless they gave me the newer model.

Oh and keeping in line with the thread, here's my SE846

Attachments

• IMG_0932.JPG
    IMG_0932.JPG
    61.4 KB · Views: 117

bobfitz14

macrumors 65816
Oct 14, 2008
Massachusetts
Didn't the CM1s always use magnets? I just got a pair of piano black CM1 series 1 for $600 from Best Buy on clearance and mine use magnets, unless they gave me the newer model.

Oh and keeping in line with the thread, here's my SE846

holy crap those are expensive...do you use a DAC or anything supplementary with those puppies? I don't know where the line ought to be drawn on using something (e.g. a portable DAC) with in-ears.

kbfr08

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2007
holy crap those are expensive...do you use a DAC or anything supplementary with those puppies? I don't know where the line ought to be drawn on using something (e.g. a portable DAC) with in-ears.

I use the Shures with an XDA-2 Desktop DAC/AMP and I'm at my desk a lot of the day working so portable DACs aren't really something I've worried about lol. That said I also have a pair of Westone 3s for when I'm out and about.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Have these on loan from a friend. Considering trading him my Beyerdynamic DT990 headphones for these.

[url=https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7526/15938838728_d91fa71e35_z.jpg]Image[/url]

Yes, they are lovely. Comfortable, very attractive looking, nicely built, and delivering very decent audio sound.

Actually, I tried them out in an airport last summer, and I'll admit that if I didn't already have my extraordinarily wonderful B&W P5s, I might have been seriously tempted to buy them.

Destroysall

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2012
United States
Yes, they are lovely. Comfortable, very attractive looking, nicely built, and delivering very decent audio sound.

Actually, I tried them out in an airport last summer, and I'll admit that if I didn't already have my extraordinarily wonderful B&W P5s, I might have been seriously tempted to buy them.
I love the P5 headphone. If you do ever consider owning a home-only headphone, I'd definitely recommend the HD 598, it is such a marvelous headphone.

Reactions: cdcastillo

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2011
Modded my Beyerdynamic T70's awhile back, ripped out the stock cable for a removable cable. Also have a pair of HD650's.

dCNzLh9.jpg

3MqpLRC.jpg

jcQ2vr5.jpg

qbjPzJL.jpg

An old picture of my HD650's I've since change the connector to a Neutrik ¼" TRS. I also don't use the Focusrite anymore.

F3D5s0v.jpg

G-Force

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2006
Sony MDR-ZX750BN wireless. Not the best, not the prettiest but I got them for free with my Sony Xperia Z3 and I quite like them.

qJLItJm.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.