Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aehibbs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 3, 2012
While music is playing on my iPhone 4S (version 5.1.1) a number of problems occur. Siri will randomly come on as if I have hit the home button twice, pausing the music (once I hit the home button to turn Siri off the music plays again). The music will also randomly pause and fast forward itself. All of these things occur whether the phone in locked or unlocked.

I have tried turning off shake to shuffle, raise to speak (for Siri) and I've even tried turning Siri off all together (which simply resulted in Voice Command coming on instead). I went to the Apple store for help and was told to do a backup and then restore the phone to factory settings. After I did that the issue persisted but with less frequency at first, but now it happens pretty constantly again. It seems like a software issue but the restore did not work so I'm not sure.

Any thoughts?

Jimbomtb

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2012
I am having the same problem after about two hours of music play with ear buds plugged in Siri comes on at will. Hopefully someone can help as it is very frustrating.

lgtw

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2010
Alaska
What kind of Earbuds do you use? This used to happen to me a lot when I used Skullcandies with iOS 5.0, but I got used to just using the lock button to turn the screen on instead, and the problem has gone away since then.

I would like to know what caused this now too. I'm currently using Marley Midnight Ravers with no problems. :)

Karpfish

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2006
I would like to revive this thread because my sister is having the same problem and I can't seem to find an answer. She has had this problem with an old iPod touch, two iPhone 4's, and now her new iPhone 5. She thinks that there could be something from her laptop (unibody macbook) that is causing this because that is the only constant with these 4 devices as far as we know. I really have no idea what could be causing this. If someone has seen this before and successfully fixed it, some direction would be greatly appreciated.

anatricia

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2013
Happening on iPhone 5 as well

This is also another plea to revive this topic as I am also experiencing this particular problem. Siri (or the voice control once I deactivated Siri) keeps on turning on when I'm listening to music on my iPhone 5. Somebody help!

MissKris1011

macrumors newbie
Apr 10, 2013
Third times a charm...Trying to revive this thread again...I'd like to know if anyone has figured out how to stop this from happening. It just started this morning for me and it is getting worse as the day goes on! I'm going to try and do a fresh install of iOS when I get home, but i'm not optimistic that it will work considering it's already been tried on here with no resolution.:confused::mad:

Aliglasco

macrumors newbie
May 7, 2013
I'm having the exact problem with my iPhone 5. I took mine to Geek Squad and they replaced it but the replacement is doing the exact same thing. My theory is the headphones that come with the phones. I think maybe the button on the headphones could be jammed or is shorting out because it has the capability to do all the things I'm having a problem with.

aDRock1154

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2011
Ohio
This happened on my wife's 4S. She never uses SIRI, so I disabled it. As soon as I disabled SIRI, voice command started coming on.

I did a hard reset for her and it went away.. She was using EarPods when it happened. I gave her a pair of the older style of ear buds and it still happened.

It hasn't happened in 1-2 months, but she was listening to music with ear buds when it happened.

Qanitah

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2013
Someone help the same thing is happening to me on my iPhone 5 and it's so frustrating! It's happening like 3 times every 5 minutes now ugh!

It Is James

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2013
Washington
Does this only happen when using earbuds? The earpods for example, activate Siri when holding down the pause button for a few seconds. Perhaps some signal is getting messed up and sending this sort of message to the iPhone, to activate Siri.

I'm no engineer, so I don't know how it works on the hardware end, but that sure seems like a possibility!

Loris34

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2013
Mine randomly comes on in the middle of the night or day or any unpredictable time. I don't use earbuds nor do I listen to music on it. It was Siri until I turned her off & since then it is Voice Control. It will randomly call/ FaceTime people even when nobody has said anything. It will evn turn on music but not show a music app running. And it bounces screens and turns off apps. Even returns home in the middle of typing a text!! Grrr!

bencjedi

macrumors 6502
Apr 2, 2010
This is happening with my iPhone 5 when I run. It happened about a month ago when I was running in a rain storm (poor judgement) and sought a random plastic bag on the side of the road to protect my phone from getting any wetter. Before that water was getting all over my arm band with the phone in it and causing exactly what you guys are describing. It had happened a couple times since and each time my arm band holding my iphone was all wet (I sweat a LOT); and if my arm band is not completely dry from the previous day's run it is damp to start with and the problem is more apt to happen.

I have correlated it has something to do with the headphones and dampness of the armband today. I am using Yurbuds Inspire Talk. At times I have heard scratchiness in the ear pieces of these headphones with the wires bopping up and down as I run; kind of like tuning an old dial AM radio to lock on the best quality signal; that kind of sound. It generally clears up if I get the wires along my body and there isn't any more wild motion (and wires are staying put).

I have a sneaky suspicion that headphones that are not making full contact in the headphone jack (or are noisy) cause mixed-signals that makes Siri launch. In relation when my iphone is surrounded by a stinky, moist arm band the humidity is interfering the same way by causing mixed signals that makes Siri launch. With the arm band and headphones plugged in Siri was popping up much more frequently. Since this was happening today to troubleshoot I removed the headphones and also the arm band and just ran around for a couple miles holding the naked phone in my right hand with music playing through the iPhone speakers. Siri never once auto-launched the entire time this way!

I should have tried to run with the iphone in the damp armband with no headphones plugged in to see if Siri would keep auto-launching.

I'm thinking of turning my iphone off and using some rubbing alcohol in the headphone jack to clean it out and see if maybe dirt is contributing to the problem. I have AppleCare+ but don't want to use it because of my jailbreak tweaks as Apple will likely replace it with another one, but on iOS7. I have a half marathon in a week and rely on my music HEAVILY to perform well. Hopefully I can determine a way to prevent the issue going forward. I don't seem to have any issues if the arm band is dry before I start running.

bencjedi

macrumors 6502
Apr 2, 2010
Ah ha! Yes it is moisture-related:

http://www.sirifan.com/post/tag/siri/

Why are iTunes and Siri coming on automatically on my iPad mini?
No Comments, Siri, by Siri.
Question by Catherine Callahan: Why are iTunes and Siri coming on automatically on my iPad mini? Almost every time I plug in my headphones on my iPad mini to try to watch a YouTube video or something, iTunes and Siri randomly come on at different times. The video will just stop and either music from my library will come on, or Siri will start up, causing me to have to go and pause the music or whatever. This doesn’t happen when the headphones aren’t plugged in and I know I’m not pressing anything by mistake. Anyone know the problem? Thanks a bunch! Best answer: Answer by BrandonWell not sure about Ipad, but it happens to my iPhone. Basically sweat or oil,(microscopic) gets into the microphone of your earphones/headphones, causing a small short circuit which will bring up siri or voice control or whatever. It can be very annoying. I fixed it by ensuring I dont touch or play around with the wires, and wiping the area near the mic from time to time. Hope this helps. What do you think? Answer below!

BabyGirlWuvz

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2014
Not telling
My iphone 5 dose it even when I don't have head phones in my Siri will pop up on it's own when I'm on Facebook or just looking at pictures or when I'm trying to sleep it will ask a question And then say sorry I dident here you when I'm not even doing anything on my phone

jozeppy26

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2008
St. Louis
I agree, it is almost certainly a moisture issue with earbuds that have a microphone and media control buttons. This happened to me for the very first time yesterday at the gym following a 7 mile run on a treadmill (I was pretty soaked in sweat). I went to start lifting weights and I first noticed my volume up/down buttons weren't responsive. Next, siri would randomly interrupt my music. Towards the end of my workout, songs were skipping spontaneously and fast-forwarding, play/pause button no longer functioning. After about a day of not using my headphones, all issues have resolved.

It's just strange this happened for the first time yesterday. I work out like 5 days a week, run at least 3-5 miles a day, and even ran a half-marathon with my iPhone playing music and these earbuds. Oh well, sweat must have just hit the sweet spot on the microphone or something.

Earbuds are the Bose MIE2i

noeller

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2015
My iPhone 4s did this as well, as soon as moisture was mentioned I knew that had to be it. I, being the failure I am, left my earphones in my jeans after school one day. I looked for them for a while and couldn't find them. I did my laundry and when I was removing my jeans from the washer and at the bottom of the machine were my earphones. Moisture makes perfect sense because I have had my iPhone for a very long time and didn't have that problem until now.

m1cha3llam99

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2015
I have an iPhone 5s and this is now happening to me. When I play music Siri activates and when I disable Siri the same thing happens with Voice Memos. The music when it does play will keep pausing or will play extremely quickly. This happens on the lock screen or when the iPhone is unlocked.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.