Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

foster26

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 22, 2014
I just ordered a imac 5k with the standard 8gb ram , whats the best and most amount of ram I can get with keeping the 8gb it comes with? Any suggestions also on where to buy from. Thanks

SaSaSushi

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2007
Takamatsu, Japan
I have had great luck with Data Memory Systems. I recommend 4 of these to give you 32GB of RAM

http://www.datamemorysystems.com/dm50-234-1/

I would highly recommend using 1.35V DDR3L low voltage RAM, and not 1.5V DDR3, in the Haswell-based Late 2013 and riMacs, regardless of what Apple's own memory specs page states. Apple's own RAM that ships with all iMacs now is 1.35V.

I'd also recommend sticking with name brands known to work, like the aforementioned Crucial, Corsair, OWC, etc.

Refer to this thread for more information.

UniDoubleU

macrumors regular
Aug 14, 2014
Thailand
Last Friday I installed 2 sticks 8GB Kingston DDR3L 1600. Everything's been fine so far. I was very worried before as Crucial rams are rare over here. Looks like the iMac aren't too picky as long as the voltage is correct. :cool:

SaSaSushi

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2007
Takamatsu, Japan
Last Friday I installed 2 sticks 8GB Kingston DDR3L 1600. Everything's been fine so far. I was very worried before as Crucial rams are rare over here. Looks like the iMac aren't too picky as long as the voltage is correct. :cool:

For some reason, most stability issues with 1.5V RAM on the Haswell Macs seem to happen with 32GB installed. I had a hell of a time getting 32GB to work stably on this machine and had no success with a no name brand of Taiwanese 1.35V DIMMs. When I finally installed 16GB of the abovementioned Crucial alongside the 16GB of Apple Elpida was when the kernel panics, freezing and overall instability finally ceased. I haven't had a single issue since over the past 9 months.

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
I would highly recommend using 1.35V DDR3L low voltage RAM, and not 1.5V DDR3, in the Haswell-based Late 2013 and riMacs, regardless of what Apple's own memory specs page states. Apple's own RAM that ships with all iMacs now is 1.35V.

I'd also recommend sticking with name brands known to work, like the aforementioned Crucial, Corsair, OWC, etc.

Refer to this thread for more information.

I'll 2nd this post, you'll want 1.35v DDR3L for consistency.

Your iMac may work with 1.5v but at the cost of increased chance of RAM overheating and kernel panics.

I'll be ordering a 5k probably just after the new year and I'll be putting the exact same 32GB of 1.35v DDR3L 1866MHz RAM I installed and still have running in my 2013 i7. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DSGLMSM/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Mindinversion

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2008
Just keep in mind that you HAVE GOT to match CAS latency to retain 1600Mhz.

The CAS latency on the hynix ram in my RiMac as 11, and I pulled out my 2 x 8GB Gskill ram from my mac mini to upgrade. the Gskill has CAS10, and it caused ALL my ram to run @1333.

A little google-fu found the cause, thought I'd save you a little time ^^

Reactions: slvrscoobie

slvrscoobie

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2013
NJ
Just keep in mind that you HAVE GOT to match CAS latency to retain 1600Mhz.

The CAS latency on the hynix ram in my RiMac as 11, and I pulled out my 2 x 8GB Gskill ram from my mac mini to upgrade. the Gskill has CAS10, and it caused ALL my ram to run @1333.

A little google-fu found the cause, thought I'd save you a little time ^^
Just did this exact thing. Crapper - Well I guess I need to either pull the 8, or go full 32. darn it!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.