Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

skiltrip

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 6, 2010
New York
Has anyone gone from a GS3 to the iPhone 6? I'm wondering how much better the battery life is on the 6.

I currently have a GS3 and I ordered a 6 Plus. Battery life is pretty important to me. Particularly for family days out that involve some GPS, music streaming, and a lot of picture and video taking. The S3 always fell short of my needs, so I was looking at the 6 Plus because it would no doubt take care of me in regards to battery life. For what it's worth, I have since bought a new battery for my S3, so it's not a matter of battery age. But it's still pretty terrible. For example. Today, I've been off charger for 5 hours and 12 minutes. I have 1 hour and 19 minutes screen-on time, and I'm down to 47%. I'm barely half way through my work day.

I am wondering, in the event that I find the Plus size cumbersome, if the iPhone 6 battery life would be good enough (as in, significantly better than the Galaxy S3). Those who have had the GS3 should be able to comment on that. Thanks.

Last edited:

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
Has anyone gone from a GS3 to the iPhone 6? I'm wondering how much better the battery life is on the 6.

I currently have a GS3 and I ordered a 6 Plus. Battery life is pretty important to me. Particularly for family days out that involve some GPS, music streaming, and a lot of picture and video taking. The S3 always fell short of my needs, so I was looking at the 6 Plus because it would no doubt take care of me in regards to battery life. For what it's worth, I have since bought a new battery for my S3, so it's not a matter of battery age. But it's still pretty terrible. For example. Today, I've been off charger for 5 hours and 12 minutes. I have 1 hour and 19 minutes screen-on time, and I'm down to 47%. I'm barely half way through my work day.

I am wondering, in the event that I find the Plus size cumbersome, if the iPhone 6 battery life would be good enough (as in, significantly better than the Galaxy S3). Those who have had the GS3 should be able to comment on that. Thanks.

I had a GS3, which was pretty awful on battery life and pretty mediocre, then I had got the GS4 which was a nice bump up in battery life but still not really good (I even had a 2800 mAh battery inside the phone and stock is 2600 mAh)

after that, I got the iPhone 6 at launch (4.7 inch model) and was blown away by how much better the iPhone 6 battery life was compared to my old GS4 with a even bigger battery then stock, it was at least a good 30% better , but the hugest difference maker in being the incredibly great standby time compared to the GS4 (I can go to sleep with my i6 at 100%, wake up with it at 99%, only going down 1% during the night while with my old GS4, it would go down at least 20% over night easily)

I switched from a iPhone 6 to a 6 Plus because I wanted the Plus for its screen and battery and was legitly honestly even more blown away, I can easily say the Plus last a day easily with moderate-heavy usage, like a legit full day easily. Its battery life is 30-40% better then the 6 roughly, the 6 Plus to me feels like it can almost run forever, it really is that incredible the battery life...(make sure you set the phone up as new as restoring from previous backup or so usually brings glitches and bugs and battery drain)

going from the S3 to the 6 Plus in your case, your gonna be beyond blown away by the differerence honestly and that is not even a exaggeration at all

I get over 4 hours of on screen time on one charge easily with the 6 Plus.

For you, going from the S3 to the 6 (4.7 inch 6) would yield a very nice and very appreciative increase in battery life (both on screen time and standby)

Yes the i6 battery life is quite a bit better then the S3 in every way(both on screen time and stanby time is alot better)

Not to mention the performance difference between the S3 and iPhone 6 is dramatic and the i6 is alot faster in every single way

Last edited:

skiltrip

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 6, 2010
New York
Awesome response. Thanks for sharing your experience.

That's great to know about the stamina of the 6. I know even my wife's iPhone 5C has very good standby time. And my iPads have ridiculously good standby time. Apple really knows how to keep an idle device in check.

I'll take receipt of the Plus and give it a spin for a couple of days, if I find its size a little unruly, based on your experience, I think I'd do pretty well with the 6.

Thanks again.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
S3 has dreadful battery life. Can't even compare to an iPhone 5.

6 is much better.

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
Awesome response. Thanks for sharing your experience.

That's great to know about the stamina of the 6. I know even my wife's iPhone 5C has very good standby time. And my iPads have ridiculously good standby time. Apple really knows how to keep an idle device in check.

I'll take receipt of the Plus and give it a spin for a couple of days, if I find its size a little unruly, based on your experience, I think I'd do pretty well with the 6.

Thanks again.

6 Plus at first is defitnetly a little big and those types of thoughts will possibly creep into your mind, but after a little while, few days, some weeks in, I have gotten totally used to the device and its size (nice and thin and i actually love the tapered edges, makes it feel less cumbersome and nicer to hold even if its a litttle slippery) and now I cant ever go back to a smaller phone, i just love this thing, i love the incredible battery life and the nice big super high resolution 1080p screen is a absolute dream

(well i use it without any case because adding a case will just make it bigger and cumbersome imo but i got a Ghost Armor screen protector installed on it and Applecare+ for piece of mind so im good )

MistrSynistr

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2014
I switched from a Galaxy S3 to a 6 Plus and I can't believe I ever used that plastic piece of junk. Battery life was "meh", the design was odd and somewhat hurt your hands and the lag, my god.

skiltrip

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 6, 2010
New York
Thanks everyone. I briefly had a Note 4 (returned it) and I was just starting to get used to the size. Going back to my S3 temporarily is a bit frustrating. I'm getting my 6 Plus tomorrow and I'm pretty excited. I'm leaving a 3-4 year Android run, and I'll miss a lot of things about it, but its time to move to the other side for a while. Honestly, I'm surrounded by Macs and iPads as I do Apple IT support, so it sort of makes sense I go this way anyway.

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
Thanks everyone. I briefly had a Note 4 (returned it) and I was just starting to get used to the size. Going back to my S3 temporarily is a bit frustrating. I'm getting my 6 Plus tomorrow and I'm pretty excited. I'm leaving a 3-4 year Android run, and I'll miss a lot of things about it, but its time to move to the other side for a while. Honestly, I'm surrounded by Macs and iPads as I do Apple IT support, so it sort of makes sense I go this way anyway.

Why did you return the Note 4? Just wondering. And your gonna absolutely love your 6 Plus

skiltrip

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 6, 2010
New York
Why did you return the Note 4? Just wondering. And your gonna absolutely love your 6 Plus

The Note 4 camera was the main reason I returned it, particularly the low light performance. There's a whole thread on it on Macrumors or iMore, I forget which. I did love the Note 4 in a lot of ways though.

The 6 Plus was another adventure altogether. Loved the screen and the battery life, but it's height made it a really unruly phone to use with anything but two dedicated hands. I exchanged it for a regular 6, which feels a little tight now after those last two phones, but the portability/manageability is awesome now.

Either iPhone is a compromise in one way or another when it comes to size.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.