Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kumbre

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2014
"No boot disk found. Insert bootable disk and hit any key"

Resolved problem easily.
Just read carefully what is written on black screen!

To translate from English to simple English: Your USB is not bootable. Simply as that. It means that bootcamp did not make USB bootable as he promised. So use any windows computer and make bootable USB as described:

In order to use DiskPart, open the command prompt as an administrator and then follow these instructions:
Enter the following command in the CMD window:
diskpart
With this command you can display the list of drives.
list disk
Now, identify your USB stick and enter the following command as a number (instead of "#"):
select disk # example
You can delete all existing partitions from the USB stick with this command:
clean
With this chain of command, a new partition is created, then selected, activated and then formatted to FAT32. A drive is subsequently assigned when the procedure is completed:
create partition primary
select partition 1
active
format quick fs=fat32
assign
Now you can exit Diskpart:
exit

Then copy all files from a windows installation image to it. Stick it to your Mac USB port and switch on your computer. And follow the instruction on windows installation.
Pay attention to format bootcamp partition as NTFS as it is FAT32 not supported by windows 7!

Last edited:

macenied

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2014
Resolved problem easily.
Just read carefully what is written on black screen!

To translate from English to simple English: Your USB is not bootable. Simply as that. It means that bootcamp did not make USB bootable as he promised. So use any windows computer and make bootable USB as described:

In order to use DiskPart, open the command prompt as an administrator and then follow these instructions:
Enter the following command in the CMD window:
diskpart
With this command you can display the list of drives.
list disk
Now, identify your USB stick and enter the following command as a number (instead of "#"):
select disk # example
You can delete all existing partitions from the USB stick with this command:
clean
With this chain of command, a new partition is created, then selected, activated and then formatted to FAT32. A drive is subsequently assigned when the procedure is completed:
create partition primary
select partition 1
active
format quick fs=fat32
assign
Now you can exit Diskpart:
exit

Then copy all files from a windows installation image to it. Stick it to your Mac USB port and switch on your computer. And follow the instruction on windows installation.
Pay attention to format bootcamp partition as NTFC as it is FAT32 not supported by windows 7!

... and then the USB stick will still not be bootable on some models, like the 7,1. It will boot through the boot manager and hang when Windows Setup is started. No support in the firmware, e.g. on the model mentioned. Back to square one, Superdrive.

ChrisTinaBruce

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2012
San Diego, CA
I also have MBPS 15 mid 2010 that I added second drive. I also migrated large files on second drive so remove temporarily is not option.

I have tried everything and nothing works. I always hang up on Apple logo gray screen or windows files loading.

Insane there is not a simple way to usb a partiented drive.

IIRC on my Mid-2010 MBP most non-OSX (e.g. Windows installer) USBs don't show up on boot. Removing the drive means you can't install windows. My workaround was to re-insert the superdrive if you've removed it, and install a temporary windows, Vista or higher, via DVD. Then follow these instructions to add a bootloader extender type thing that adds a mini OS that is installed alongside Windows and lets you boot from USBs

http://www.intowindows.com/how-to-b...n-if-your-pc-doesnt-support-booting-from-usb/

Guy Jacobson

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2014
I recently reinstalled fresh Bootcamp (Windows 7 x64) on my iMac running Yosemite. However I'm having difficulty installing the drivers, I had to first bypass the issue with the x64bit drivers by running it through CMD as admin but I get the Errors

"Service 'Key Agent/Mac HAL' (Keyagent/MacHALDrivers) failed to start. Verify that you have sufficient privileges to start system services."

I have tried following the instructions that seemed to be the answer for this:

I had the exact same problem, only on a 17" MBP. In my case, Win7 event manager reported that BootCamp 3.2 Services failed to install, in particular the KeyAgent service (and without that you get no Apple keyboard and functions and apparently the BootCamp icon doesn't show up in the system tray).

Event Manager said the BootCamp installer did not have sufficient permissions, so I went to dial down the User Account Control (UAC) settings (in fact, I turned it off). What I should have seen when BootCamp 3.2 update was running was a window to ask my permission to continue (allow the software to install). Instead, there was a silent failure.

OK, so by turning off UAC that gives it permission in advance (you have to reboot after changing the UAC settings in order to ensure that it is truly OFF). After rebooting, I went to Programs and Features and found BootCamp Services as a software item. I selected "Repair" and after another reboot, I was back in business! Keyboard is now fine (including the disk eject button, which I wanted working). Then I went back to turn on UAC to its default level (one notch below highest setting). It is useful (normally) to have this on.

Ask the Windows Help system if you don't know how to find the UAC settings to give this a try. Hope it helps you.

I have followed these instructions, tried on all different UAC settings, (including resets) and by running repairs on the program in Programs and Features and but rerunning it in CMD but the same evil error keeps getting in my way.

Anyone had and solved this issue recently? Can you install these drivers another way?

Regards.

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Running this on Late 2011 MPB with Yosemite, I can also confirm that it doesn't work. Just get the 'insert bootable disc ' black screen after the restart. Looks like there's no way to get this done on older Macs. I might be forced to just buy a cheap Windows machine. My main drive is only a 256SSD and I have a 1TB drive in the optical bay where I would like the Bootcamp Partition to be but it seems impossible.

Nadram

macrumors newbie
Dec 21, 2014
Problem

Hello, I have recently posted a Guide on how to Enable USB Installation on Bootcamp in a thread. I can see that many users are having this issue like some of them don't have SuperDrive or want to install using USB but there Bootcamp doesn't support USB Installation.

So now I will show you how to enable USB Installation on Bootcamp on any unSupported Mac Systems
(MacBook, MacBook Pro, MacBook Air and more.)

Things you required:

• Mac OS X Mavericks
  • Bootcamp Assistant
  • Terminal
  • Xcode (Download from AppStore)

Steps are as Follows:

1. Open Terminal and type the code below, this will copy Info.plist to Desktop as a Backup.
Code:
sudo cp /Applications/Utilities/Boot\ Camp\ Assistant.app/Contents/Info.plist Desktop/Info.plist.bak

2. again in Terminal type the code below, It will open Info.plist.
Now move down and Add your BootRom Version under "DARequiredROMVersions" at Top of the List.
(to find BootRom Version open "System Information" from Spotlight)
Code:
sudo nano /Applications/Utilities/Boot\ Camp\ Assistant.app/Contents/Info.plist

3. move Down again, find "PreUSBBootSupportedModels" and delete "Pre" from a word also add your Model Identifier at Top of the List.

4. now Save and Exit Terminal by Pressing "control + x" then " Y " and "enter"

5. now I assume that you have already installed Xcode, If not Download and Install it now for further steps or else you will get error.

6. After Xcode is installed open Terminal again and type the code below:
Code:
sudo codesign -f -s - /Applications/Utilities/Boot\ Camp\ Assistant.app/Contents/MacOS/Boot\ Camp\ Assistant

now It will ask you to read License Agreement, Hit enter to read Agreement and press "control + q" to exit the License Agreement.
after that It will ask you to agree the terms of Software type "agree" and hit enter.

7. Done, now You can install Windows using USB Flash Drive.

If you get any Error or having Problem, Post here.

Thank You
Tutorial created by RahulRulz

it doesnt work anything about bootcamp..could you give another option

dino.

macrumors newbie
Dec 25, 2014
after restart nothing happened

Hi , I did exactly the steps , My mac restarted and nothing happened !
Later I did restart holding the option key and I only got the macbook ssd disk and My Backup - running OS X Yosemite , plz help :(

RahulRulz

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 18, 2013
London
If anyone having trouble with the guide, you can private message me i will help you using TeamViewer :)

mdia45

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2014
Help

Hello, I'm having an issue with the code object not being signed can anyone help?

gizbo1100

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2014
Thanks for the instructions.

I follow the steps and now I have a bootable usb with windows 7.

gizbo1100

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2014
Hopefully you can help. This lets me make the USB drive, but when I try to install from it, I get stuck on a black screen after partitioning+restarting that says there is no bootable disk.

I had the same problem but if you push ctrl+switch off button and after it you turn on again the computer it starts the installation.

It works me on macbook late 2009.

Reactions: ifmihai

ReneMunro

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2015
Thanks!

I have a late 2008 MacBook5,1 and an external Superdrive and a SSD hooked to the 2.internal port

Usually external Superdrives won't work with older MacBook's but this short tutorial will help solve this...

http://www.hardturm.ch/luz/2011/10/...superdrive-work-with-any-mac/comment-page-10/

After that i followed this tut and i started bootcamp, added a Win Partition and after rebooting my macbook started booting win 7 DVD from External Superdrive.

Thank you!!!

fantamic

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2015
Small suggestion

At step 3. you should be able to just delete your model from the PreUSBBootSupportedModels list (rather than deleting "pre" and adding your model). This worked fine on my 2010 MacBook Air after deleting <string>MacBookAir3,2</string>

Of course you'll have to add it back again if you later buy a superdrive and want to reinstall Windows from a DVD (seems unlikely!) but the same applies to the op's method.

Sunshine07

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2015
After bootcamp and USB install drive still 'no bootable device found etc'

Have mid 2011 iMac with Mavericks.

It has a superdrive as far as I understand it.

I would like to use boot camp to install Windows 7.

I've followed all the instructions, as per the above thread, and finally successfully created a bootable USB installation drive, after i had Amazon deliver a next day usb2 (not 3, since this does not seem to work, according to some reports). Before this I had to restore my whole machine from backup since I could not make a partition.

Despite all this I still get the 'No boot disk found. Insert bootable disk and hit any key' message when bootcamp restarts the machine. I can hear the mac looking for the windows install dvd, which contains a bootable iso file. Somehow it will not use or recognize this DVD nor the bootable UBS key to start the install (yes, I did try alt option key, etc. and the usb does not show up, I also unplugged all other usb drives and external hard disks, and tried this with an external hard disk as well). Do I simply need a different kind of windows installation disk? This is an enterprise DVD iso file, for which no password is needed. I still have several windows XP etc install disks, would these work? They are in storage, so no easy access. Since I've bought over 8 copies of Windows over the years, I do not really want to buy another copy if this will simply not make a difference and it still wont install using bootcamp.

I read something about using vm ware (which I have) to install windows 7 and to use a different boot program with this. (windows runs fine on vmware ofcourse, but I need it for a different software that is better to run on a windows bootcamp partition since the software uses a dongle etc, and the company wont offer support when using parallels or vm ware) This looks waaaay too complicated to me - I've learned all about the above, of which I knew nothing.

Is there really no way to install windows using the bootcamp assistant when having an iMac with mavericks and a superdrive instead of a DVD drive (until yesterday I had not even heard about 'superdrives'

If there is no other way i will have to follow the to me seemingly painful procedure as described somewhere here to use wm ware etc.

Please help - thanks!

Last edited:

spittfire

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2015
Issues

Hi, i also have Issues with step 6.
code object is not signed at all

Can u help me using Teamviewer?

Regards

AppleFanatic10

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2010
Hawthorne, CA
I've installed this on Mavericks, but something happened and I had reinstall the OS, but this time Lion installed. I don't want to update to the newest OS or anything past Lion since it's working perfectly for me. Is there a way I can install Windows 7 on bootcamp via USB for Lion? Is it the same process? Thanks.

WiGuy

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2015
I have an IMAC 2009 running Yosemite. I am trying to install windows 7.

I followed your instructions and I got the check box for create windows 7.

I cannot select the check box for install or remove windows 7.

Any Ideas???

Guy

Vortex87

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2015
Hey new here so I seem to be unable to post PMs

But I am also having this problem at step 6 with the [code object is not signed at all] text.

Has anyone figured out how to solve this yet? Help would be greatly appreciated :)

elgrego

macrumors newbie
Mar 7, 2006
Notes on my experience (MBP '09, Win 10 Tech Preview)

Have been trying to create an installer on Yosemite (10.10.2) with the Windows 10 Technical Preview ISO from Microsoft. This method worked fine until I got to the very last step, at which point it told me that it wouldn't accept the ISO because it wasn't for Windows 7 specifically.

Wasted a bunch of time finding a workaround via a VMWare Windows image I had lying around (which worked - Rufus, for those who would like to try it. Works perfectly if you already have a Windows installation to work from. Just make sure to re-select the GPT boot system instead of MBR after you've selected the ISO. It reverts to MBR for some reason when you specify the ISO, and the Mac needs GPT to boot from the USB stick).

Naturally, after all of that, I realized what was wrong just before going to bed: there is, for a few systems, another part of the .plist file that you have to modify before doing the codesign command. Find the section titled "Win7OnlyModels". If your model is listed there, remove it.

For example, I was trying this on a MacBook Pro mid-2009, for which the Model Identifier is "MacBookPro5,5". So, originally, the array looked like this:

Code:
<key>Win7OnlyModels</key>
        <array>
                <string>MacBookPro5,5</string>
                <string>MacBook7,1</string>
                <string>MacBookAir3,2</string>
                <string>MacPro2,1</string>
                <string>Macmini4,1</string>
                <string>iMac10,1</string>
        </array>

When I was done, it looked like this:

Code:
<key>Win7OnlyModels</key>
        <array>
                <string>MacBook7,1</string>
                <string>MacBookAir3,2</string>
                <string>MacPro2,1</string>
                <string>Macmini4,1</string>
                <string>iMac10,1</string>
        </array>

Boot Camp is copying the Windows 10 TP ISO files to the USB stick as I write this. I will update once I've booted from it to confirm that it does actually boot the installer.

Now if only I could figure out how to get it to install to a USB hard drive. Perhaps another day.

Oh, also, if you're getting weird errors when you run the codesign command, make sure that you haven't added any files to the Boot Camp Assistant.app folder. I had copies of the original .plist file and the original Code Signature folder in there, just in case, and when I moved them to the Desktop, the errors went away, and it worked fine.

UPDATE:

Yes, the USB stick works. Booted my machine to the Windows 10 installer. Yay.

Interestingly, Disk Utility says that the USB stick's partition table is MBR, so perhaps GPT (or GUID in Disk Utility's terms; seemingly the same thing) is not necessary to boot the USB stick on the Mac.

Last edited:

josefefs

macrumors newbie
Dec 20, 2014
Help!

I know this thread was made a long time ago, but I just did all this and worked well until boot camp showed an error when making a partition. I have a mac book pro late 2011 and was trying to boot windows 8 installer from a USB. So I checked another threat that pointed out a solution for that error which was booting in single mode and repairing using /sbin/fsck -fy .... the comand line displayed an error and now I can't boot my mac. I can only access recovery mode, but I can't repair my disk or my disk's permissions. Tried reinstalling OS X but got an error that it cannot verify the disk!

denxocore

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2015
Here is my problem, the first task is not showing, ive done some reasearch your forum is one them, but still I cant find answers to my problem, please help me... btw I am using Mac Pro G5, Yosemite

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-08-28 at 4.38.08 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-08-28 at 4.38.08 PM.png
    169.8 KB · Views: 387

Leroy.lee

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2015
Nairobi
Hello, I have recently posted a Guide on how to Enable USB Installation on Bootcamp in a thread. I can see that many users are having this issue like some of them don't have SuperDrive or want to install using USB but there Bootcamp doesn't support USB Installation.

So now I will show you how to enable USB Installation on Bootcamp on any unSupported Mac Systems
(MacBook, MacBook Pro, MacBook Air and more.)

Things you required:

• Mac OS X Mavericks
  • Bootcamp Assistant
  • Terminal
  • Xcode (Download from AppStore)

Steps are as Follows:

1. Open Terminal and type the code below, this will copy Info.plist to Desktop as a Backup.
Code:
sudo cp /Applications/Utilities/Boot\ Camp\ Assistant.app/Contents/Info.plist Desktop/Info.plist.bak

2. again in Terminal type the code below, It will open Info.plist.
Now move down and Add your BootRom Version under "DARequiredROMVersions" at Top of the List.
(to find BootRom Version open "System Information" from Spotlight)
Code:
sudo nano /Applications/Utilities/Boot\ Camp\ Assistant.app/Contents/Info.plist
WcZhLdy.png

3. move Down again, find "PreUSBBootSupportedModels" and delete "Pre" from a word also add your Model Identifier at Top of the List.

nqFCFcp.png

4. now Save and Exit Terminal by Pressing "control + x" then " Y " and "enter"

5. now I assume that you have already installed Xcode, If not Download and Install it now for further steps or else you will get error.

6. After Xcode is installed open Terminal again and type the code below:
Code:
sudo codesign -f -s - /Applications/Utilities/Boot\ Camp\ Assistant.app/Contents/MacOS/Boot\ Camp\ Assistant

XXTSKM9.png

now It will ask you to read License Agreement, Hit enter to read Agreement and press "control + q" to exit the License Agreement.
Ewi5KxC.png

after that It will ask you to agree the terms of Software type "agree" and hit enter.
OUnsdLz.png

7. Done, now You can install Windows using USB Flash Drive.
D2NaJwP.png

If you get any Error or having Problem, Post here.

Thank You

Hi,

I have carefully tried to follow your steps a few times and each time i receive an error message after clicking control x, y and then enter. the error message is:
[ Error writing /Applications/Utilities/Boot Camp Assistant.app/Contents/Info. ]
i am stranded for days now scouring the internet for a way out of this and seem to get none at all. what should i do?

Jonny1989

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2010
Thank You

Finally, something that worked. Thank you! Although i've not completed the installation yet it seems to be working.

Edit: for anyone looking in the future. I had to take the usb out then in again, for some reason bootcamp said there was an error, this fixed that.

I don't have a password on my iMac, this was a problem when I was in the terminal. Changing it so my password was a space worked fine.

64bit seems to be the only one working, a bit of knowledge for anyone like me who just installed 32bit. Even though Apple say my 2010 iMac doesn't support it.

Download X Code, it's 4gb and takes a while. Even though i'm on 50mb it wasn't at it's highest download speed so took an hour and a half. It was 10mb a second at one point in the later stages.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.