Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

east85

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
Is anyone knowledgeable about the exact process to go through in order to transfer a data SIM with ATT to another person on another iPad?

I recently purchased a grandfathered SIM and the person doesn't seem very knowledgeable about the transfer process, and neither do I.

I believed it was as simple as logging into att.com/ipadlanding , logging in, changing billing credentials and then logging in with my iPad. Anyone have experience with this? I'm supposed to get a call around 5 to work my way through this.. thanks.

rigormortis

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
oh man.. this is one thing you do not want to mess up

one accidental slip up and you lose and your friend loses.

oh i wouldn't even listen to me, i would just keep it to myself

i think what you do is he gives you his sim card, and he gives you his user name and password and you go into cellular settings to change the billing address and credit card.

or he gives you the sim card and continues to pay the bill

if he cancels his account and then gives you the sim card, then you are screwed and you don't get unlimited

the sim must be activated and have service when the person gives you his AT&T name and password

if you go to the AT&T store and have them switch it. there is just too much that can go wrong and you both lose unlimited...

whatever changes you make YOU MUST MAKE ON THE ACTUAL IPAD don't go to any other websites. do not go to an AT&T store do not switch sim cards do not transfer to a different sim card, play it safe and have him give you his AT&T user name and password so you can change the info and then change the password and take over the account.

change the name address and credit card in
settings
cellular data
view account

i think your better off if you continue searching and waiting for someone else here to chime in
tell the seller NOT TO CANCEL SERVICE

Last edited:

rigormortis

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
if the sim card he gives you won't fit you have to cut it i wouldn't call AT&T to ask for it to be replaced to a different sim card until the billing info is put in your name using the ipad
be safe

once you take over the account then it should be safe to ask AT&T to switch it to a different sim card #
i don't know if u are allowed to change the email address that the account is under using the iPad. i don't want to go there, i am too worried that someone will mess up and u get screwed out of unlimited

Last edited:

east85

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
I'll double check everything on the iPad. I've pretty much edited my payment information, email address and password after logging in with MY sim. No transferring of the physical sim. I'm the buyer in this scenario. Anyways, everything seems fine so far. Thanks for the heads up. I did initiate changes to the information after logging in at att.com/ipadlanding. My device numbers are all there and correct. I'll go ahead and double check in settings like I mentioned. Thanks for the help!

east85

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
I don't see any information for auto renew like I had on my other plans but my billing information is accurate. Do these plans auto renew no matter what? I noticed it was an option to auto renew on the other data plans. Any way to check if it is set to auto renew?

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Aug 25, 2012
It's not that serious. You need his username and password to get into the account under iPad landing. Once in, you change the billing info to yours. And change the login info to yours. That's it really.

You can use the sim the account is on or you can get a free one from an att store and update the sim# once you're in the account. That's it.

east85

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
It's not that serious. You need his username and password to get into the account under iPad landing. Once in, you change the billing info to yours. And change the login info to yours. That's it really.

You can use the sim the account is on or you can get a free one from an att store and update the sim# once you're in the account. That's it.

Thanks, I guess everything went smoothly then.

techiegirl

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2007
If you're referring to the unlimited data plan, log in and change your password again. When you changed your email and password, the seller received an email of your password.

east85

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
If you're referring to the unlimited data plan, log in and change your password again. When you changed your email and password, the seller received an email of your password.

Whoa, was not aware of this. Thanks for the heads up!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.