Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
Hi lou, the card is in my hands but there seems to be just one power port...
Do you think that my mac 3,1 and one power cable will be enought??

If there's only one power port on the card, then that's what it was designed to handle. A surprise for me. The Mac should power it just fine from either one of the MOBOs power connections.

Lou

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
Hi lou, the card is in my hands but there seems to be just one power port...
Do you think that my mac 3,1 and one power cable will be enought??

Just checked the Gigabyte web site, and yup, the Gigabyte Model GV-N660WF2-2GD does in fact have only one power port. So you should be just fine with just the one cable.

Lou

willym

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2011
finally

Just checked the Gigabyte web site, and yup, the Gigabyte Model GV-N660WF2-2GD does in fact have only one power port. So you should be just fine with just the one cable.

Lou

Finally, after a long long time and a lots of goggling I did it. My new gtx660 is in my 3.1, I installed from scratch on a brand new SSD snow leopard, I updated to mavericks and finally installed the gigabyte card. My mac pro seems to be brand new and start up in less than half the time it used to.
As expected no apple when booting (not needed) and everything else work like a charm. I used the pci slot n°1, plugged the (only 1) power cable to the mobo and the card, downloaded the cuda drives from the nvidia site and... that's it.
The card is very quiet.
Thanks to everybody for your support.
Wil

Gerry613

macrumors newbie
Apr 30, 2014
looking for similar situation

Hi guys,
I went through most of this thread and this is amazing.
Great guide.
I got a question though .
I was wondering if someone had similar situation and successfully flashed the card.
I have a Mac Pro 4.1 early 2009 running Mountain Lion.
From what I saw, there are few options and I was looking on feedback to see what you guys recommend (for good ratio price/performance and easy to flash)
Thanks a lot for all info :)

Gerry

xcodeSyn

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2012
I have a Mac Pro 4.1 early 2009 running Mountain Lion.
From what I saw, there are few options and I was looking on feedback to see what you guys recommend (for good ratio price/performance and easy to flash)
Thanks a lot for all info :)
This thread is clearly out of date for people running Mountain Lion/Mavericks and it's time to look for other options. For your 2009 MP, you can pick an NVDIA GTX 680 card to flash following this link, or a Radeon HD7950/7970 following this link. BTW, you need to register and sign in at netkas forum in order to see the files available for download.

Gerry613

macrumors newbie
Apr 30, 2014
This thread is clearly out of date for people running Mountain Lion/Mavericks and it's time to look for other options. For your 2009 MP, you can pick an NVDIA GTX 680 card to flash following this link, or a Radeon HD7950/7970 following this link. BTW, you need to register and sign in at netkas forum in order to see the files available for download.

Thanks Xcode !
BTW I heard most of the card should be running with no flash now, can you confirm that ?
Let's say if I get any kind of GTX 660 , and run the CUDA software, would that work ?

Thanks again

PocketSand11

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2014
~/
So there's currently no way for an ordinary user to flash a NVIIDA GPU to get the OS X boot screen? Only those ATI cards?

666sheep

macrumors 68040
Dec 7, 2009
Poland
And there couldn't be a bootloader for a real Mac Pro to enable that screen?

Yes, some people are using rEFIt or rEFInd for this purpose. Installing Clover or Chameleon only to see the bootscreen isn't a good solution, unless the MP is 1,1/2,1 and you want to run Yosemite.

Nov 28, 2010
located
Yes, some people are using rEFIt or rEFInd for this purpose. Installing Clover or Chameleon only to see the bootscreen isn't a good solution, unless the MP is 1,1/2,1 and you want to run Yosemite.

Good thing I have a Mac Pro 3,1 then, which I guess has something to do with all of that. But then again, it is just a conglomeration of non-Mac Pro parts anyway.

PocketSand11

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2014
~/

I didn't know about this. I'm installing rEFInd on my Mac Pro 3,1 right now! Edit: I installed it, and it's not working. It just boots up into OS X as usual. :(

Last edited:

Yackip

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2014
Mac pro 5.1 and GTX Titan

Hi I'm new to the form :)
So here comes my first question:
Is there a way by now to "flash" a GTX Titan Black to work with the Mac Pro 5.1 ?
And is it possible to get the EFI boot Screen from the Titan ?

Thanks a lot :)

Regards
Yackip

cebseb

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2011
Hi I'm new to the form :)
So here comes my first question:
Is there a way by now to "flash" a GTX Titan Black to work with the Mac Pro 5.1 ?
And is it possible to get the EFI boot Screen from the Titan ?

Thanks a lot :)

Regards
Yackip

Your best bet is to go have a visit at netkas.org

A quick browse over the most active thread will give you an answer.

The Vaas

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2011
Hi guys,

Though I've been actively reading various posts, the last time I posted a query something was in 2011, when I successfully flashed my ATI Radeon 4870 for my Mac Pro 1,1. Till about a couple of days back, it was running perfect. Now the MP won't boot and I'm guessing it's either a logic board or PSU issue.

Anyway, time to move on and I'm thinking of getting a faster hackintosh done using the workable units of my current setup (6tb HDD, DVD SuperDrive). The RAM is DDR2 - obsolete in today's times. The only thing I am unsure of is the Graphics card.

So my questions are -

1. Will my ATI card still work with the new (hackintosh) logic board or was it flashed only for the 1.1 EFI?
2. I might be installing Mavericks, so anything I need to be aware of if, in case the answer to the previous question is "YES it will work"?

Thanks guys.

zondas

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2014
Flash HD4870 1GB

I have a Radeon 4870 1GB and i will flash it with Zeus.Would it work ?? Can I use it for all Mac Pro from 1.1 it then ?

Card Info:

113-AB68802-100

VGAPC48712930001B5G101

PN 288-20E85-230AC

A093000093665

zondas

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2014
HD4870 flash

I have two HD4870 1GB Card and i will flash it.

1.Sahpire HD4870 1GB Vapor-X
2.Radeon HD4870 1GB

For the Radeon HD4870 1GB , i used Zeus , but there are a Script Error and for the Vapor-X 1GB , it means , that i must be flash it manually.Please help.How i can flash the HD4870 Cards.

Attachments

• Radeon HD4870 1GB.gif
    Radeon HD4870 1GB.gif
    27.1 KB · Views: 217
  • HD4870 1GB Vapor-X.gif
    HD4870 1GB Vapor-X.gif
    27 KB · Views: 218

DirtynNerdy

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2015
Flash Questions

Hey, has anyone flashed a PNY GTX650 1GB or a HIS HD 4670 IceQ 1GB (128bit) DDR3 PCIe?

I have these card and I really want to get them flashed so I can see whats going on when I boot up. Currently I have to reboot 2-3 times before it will boot successfully. Once booted everything is all gravy.

Maverick2880

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2015
Hey,
I have just put a GTX980 Ti ASUS Reference card in my Mac Pro 5,1
I'm currently benchmarking the card and I am seeing about a 25% performance loss in comparison to a PC, I have installed GPU-Z and I can see my card is running on a PCI 1,1 16X speed, I know that my card only has a BIOS and needs flashing for the boot screen, do I also need to flash this card to bypass the PCI 1,1 slowdown?
If I do this there a know method for this card ? I would send it to MacVidCards but as it would cost £300 in shipping and taxes this is not a viable solution for me.

Any helps would be appreciated, as you can tell I'm new here so I hope I have the right thread.

Thanks

Fl0r!an

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2007
EFI will fix PCI 2.0 issue on the Windows side, OS X should already have 5.0GT/s speed thanks to the Web Drivers.
There's no public method for flashing though.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
The 980Ti is not self flashable at this moment.

And you need the EFI ROM to activate PCIe 2.0.

However, the last generation card has virtually no performance difference under PCIe 1.1 or 2.0. I doubt if that's the driver problem, or PCIe problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.