Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

contenderv07

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 17, 2014
First post but I've been a HUGE MR fan since iphone 3g.. Anywho, I just got a 27 inch iMac 12,2 and wanted to upgrade the hard drive. I decided to get an SSD for the OS and a 2 TB Seagate hard drive for music, etc (removed superdrive)... The install went fine, everything booted fine and I installed the OS on the SSD. Everything works great other than the fan is constantly on. I KNOW there are a ton of things for this.. I did some searching and here are the things I've seen.. I used the OWC SSD upgrade kit

Things I've tried.
1. Reset SMC (2 times)

Things I've heard.
1. Reset PRAM
2. Run Apple hardware test
3. Get some type of app to monitor fan

Since I just got this (craigslist), I didn't get a chance to power the mac up, so I don't know if the problem was existing or not (I kind of doubt it). Since I'm at work, I'm just trying to get as much info as I can, so I can try it when I get home.. Also I still have like a year and a half of AppleCare but I have no clue if thats been cancelled since I did all of that work to it. Anyway, let me know what ya think!!

contenderv07

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 17, 2014
ok just saw that OWC has a specific temp sensor for a new HD... Would it be ok to skip this and just use a software app to control it or just go ahead and get the sensor??

matreya

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2009
ok just saw that OWC has a specific temp sensor for a new HD... Would it be ok to skip this and just use a software app to control it or just go ahead and get the sensor??

If the app works for you (and remember to make it start at login so that it repeats the setting of the fan speed every time you reboot), stick with it I reckon...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.