Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Current jailbreaks disable OTA updates completely so they solve the problem anyway.

The OTA update is still downloaded when jailbroken, but the install doesn't happen. The install is stopped by Apple's design of the OTA update.

Chris1W

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2013
Wow!!!

This is so cool!!!

Watching my free space slowly creeping up, while Software Update "checking for updates" (not connected to power, needed to reboot the device before 7.0.3 actually showed up)

Thanks for the tip

Chris1W

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2013
The space requirement is now 3.5GB (previously 2.9GB), but from my experience that number is off by couple hundred megabytes, meaning if you free up like to 3.2 - 3.3GB the "Download and Install" Button will appear (which means auto update is ready whenever you're off guard)

Currently at 2.8GB free space, the "Download and Install" button is nowhere to be seen even when my iPad is connected to WiFi and power source

So IMHO keeping your device free space at 2 - 2.5 GB is probably "safe"

Still, If you really really want to be safe, since the download is now 1 GB instead of 750MB (7.0.2), you can keep your free space about 900MB;

I'll play around with a little bit above 1.0GB free space and will report back if auto download triggered again

If you want to install app which will take more than 3GB space to be downloaded and installed, I suggest you to download the app using iTunes, turn off WiFi on your device, free up enough space, install the app using iFunBox

Last edited:

Warbitrary

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 24, 2009
Montréal, Canada
Happy to help, Chris!

When will the data deletion will occur, when the device check for update, found the update, but is not connected to power source?

say when I read on the internet that 7.0.3 is released, can I manually check the update (while disconnected from power source) without making the download automaticaly started?

The data deletion with occure when the device checks for an update (regardless of its plugged-in status).

The device will realize an update is available, delete the already downloaded version and attempt to download the new version. But the new download will fail because you filled your device to the max.

To be extra safe, when an update is announced, keep your device in airplane mode while charging, until your device realizes an update is available (it should happen within a week).

Edit: Here is the feedback I sent Apple. Feel free to copy/paste!

The iOS 7 update downloaded automatically to my iPhone, using my limited internet bandwidth, and more importantly using up space I could have better used for music, movies and apps.

This is unacceptable. I paid lots of money for my iPhone, I own it, so Apple shouldn't download a permanent, undeletable waste of disk space without my consent.

A simple toggle in the update panel "Download updates automatically - On/Off" is all that is needed.

Last edited:

Chris1W

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2013
I'll play around with a little bit above 1.0GB free space and will report back if auto download triggered again

I've been letting WiFi on when charging @ 1.7GB Free space left for some time, I also have press "Software Update" a couple times and reboot my iPad

So far automatic download hasn't happened (yet)

So it seems that don't need to keep your free space below the download size (1.0GB), you can free up more, but in general don't go more than 2.5GB, just in case you "accidentaly" deleted 1-2 apps/videos which are big enough to reach minimum space required by the automatic update mechanism (unless you free up space and fill with another item(s) ASAP while not connected to WiFi and/or power source)

Last edited:

Rodan52

macrumors 6502
At Last!

I am happy to have read this thread accidentally. I have put the question of unwanted iOS updates to MacForums and in most cases I was told it was "impossible" or that I was mistaken in some way and basically it must have been my fault but I knew it wasn't. Other than leaving my iPhone in a dock over night connected to WiFi.
Thankfully I wanted the downloaded update but I always wondered what would happen if I didn't. How would I get rid of it?
It's very reassuring to know others have had the same problem but the work arounds are a pain.
My wife doesn't want to fill up her memory with unwanted media or remember to turn off WiFi every night before bed.
This is really a problem with the iOS and Apple should give us back control of our devices.:mad:

bsevcenk

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2014
Well, if you are jailbroken, you can use iFile and go to /var/SoftwareUpdates or /var/mobile/media/SoftwareUpdates (can't remember that because my iPhone is screwed right now :p)

oliversl

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2007
Now this is even worse, iOS 8 bigger than iOS7. I hope I can get my 3Gb back for games and photos.

The only bad thing Scott Forstall did was not to disable automatic iOS updates, all the rest is just flawless engineering.

iOS 6 is dead, long live iOS6.

-- we are the 5%

TRDmanAE86

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2015
New England
Not sure what you think you are seeing - but the ONLY way for any iDevice to "autodownload" this thing is when the device is on WIFI AND has a hard power source connected.

On my iPad - I can have NO url blocking and have WIFI on all day and the update will never attempt to download - but as soon as I have WIFI AND I plug the device in to a power source (charger/PC) - that's when the trouble starts.

I do not believe it's possible for you to have downloaded this huge file just by putting your phone back in the network. I have not heard of a single person having the update auto download WITHOUT hard power connected.

I will bet money - as soon as you connected the phone to iTunes - that's when the download commenced.

Sonic.

For me, I have dealt with it too. Every night, I put my 4S on airplane mode (same with my iPad Air too). I don't want iOS 8 on either of them. One day when I forgot to airplane my mode my iPad, within 30 seconds, my space was hijacked:mad: ! all it took was a simple restore to work.

Especially with my iPhone, my rule of thumb when tethering your apple device to iTunes with outdated software is to disconnect your computer from the internet (disable wifi) and, do the same on your iPad. Otherwise, iTunes will harass me that there is a update and initiate it without my consent:( !

On the bright side, I am no longer new to this party and, used to Apple's shenanians;)

Pojo99

macrumors newbie
Mar 28, 2015
Correct me if I'm wrong, but if I restore from an ios 6.1.3 backup the restoration will fail because apple is no longer signing 6.1.3 for my iPhone 4S right? So my plan now is to wait for ios 8.3 update to become available and overwrite the 8.2 install that auto-downloaded. Then hopefully I will get the "download and install" instead of the "Install" that I see now on software update. The difference this time being I no longer have wifi and will stay on cellular 3G

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Correct me if I'm wrong, but if I restore from an ios 6.1.3 backup the restoration will fail because apple is no longer signing 6.1.3 for my iPhone 4S right? So my plan now is to wait for ios 8.3 update to become available and overwrite the 8.2 install that auto-downloaded. Then hopefully I will get the "download and install" instead of the "Install" that I see now on software update. The difference this time being I no longer have wifi and will stay on cellular 3G
What version of iOS do you currently have?

TRDmanAE86

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2015
New England

Yes and no. If you choose to do a restore from your computer, iTunes will force you to update to the latest iOS due to a jailbreaking issue. :(

However, a loophole that I use all the time still exists AND, you can keep your iOS version!:D. :p

If you Whipe your 4S (from the option from your phone without tethering it), it does not update YET. The iOS 6.1.3 stays on there till. this criteria is met.

1. You are tethered and iTunes is connected.
2. internet is on

If those criteria is met, iTunes will force you to update.

However, by
a. restoring to factory setting on your phone,
b. turn off wifi on your PC,
c. plug your apple device in...

iTunes will try to update it to the latest version, fail and, give you your beloved iOS version back which can be used for a restore point! :)

I have also done this with a loaner iPad 2 when mine was in the shop. Opened it up and, was full of joy for being my fav iOS:D . Restore went well too :)

My last word of advice is that you cannot restore from a backup when it was synced with a higher iOS than the one you are running now (eg Backup was from a iOS 7 iPad Air) and, you are trying to restore that iPad air's backup onto a iPad 2 running 6.1.3.

Last edited:

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Yes and no. If you choose to do a restore from your computer, iTunes will force you to update to the latest iOS due to a jailbreaking issue. :(

However, a loophole that I use all the time still exists AND, you can keep your iOS version!:D. :p

If you Whipe your 4S (from the option from your phone without tethering it), it does not update YET. The iOS 6.1.3 stays on there till. this criteria is met.

1. You are tethered and iTunes is connected.
2. internet is on

If those criteria is met, iTunes will force you to update.

However, by
a. restoring to factory setting on your phone,
b. turn off wifi on your PC,
c. plug your apple device in...

iTunes will try to update it to the latest version, fail and, give you your beloved iOS version back which can be used for a restore point! :)

I have also done this with a loaner iPad 2 when mine was in the shop. Opened it up and, was full of joy for being my fav iOS:D . Restore went well too :)

My last word of advice is that you cannot restore from a backup when it was synced with a higher iOS than the one you are running now (eg Backup was from a iOS 7 iPad Air) and, you are trying to restore that iPad air's backup onto a iPad 2 running 6.1.3.

Does iTunes need to have the current version somehow to provide it?

TRDmanAE86

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2015
New England
Re: Software version?

Does iTunes need to have the current version somehow to provide it?

What are you talking about? for the iOS version no. When you tether your device, iTunes checks automatically for a software update through your computer and, asks you do download it. But, all we are doing is overriding the version it wants to update your version too. By disabling WiFi, you should theoreticly be fine and, do not need to have the current iOS version.

Personally, I have used this method in iTunes 11 and, have not tried it in 12 yet. :D .

Did this answer your question? If not, I am here to help you out any way I can! :);)

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
What are you talking about? for the iOS version no. When you tether your device, iTunes checks automatically for a software update through your computer and, asks you do download it. But, all we are doing is overriding the version it wants to update your version too. By disabling WiFi, you should theoreticly be fine and, do not need to have the current iOS version.

Personally, I have used this method in iTunes 11 and, have not tried it in 12 yet. :D .

Did this answer your question? If not, I am here to help you out any way I can! :);)
You mentioned that iTunes will give you the version that you want (that you have) for restore purposes it would seem, so I'm wondering would it need to have that version somewhere to give it to you.

TRDmanAE86

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2015
New England
You mentioned that iTunes will give you the version that you want (that you have) for restore purposes it would seem, so I'm wondering would it need to have that version somewhere to give it to you.

If you have the version on your device(iOS 6 or 7) , you can do a backup and restore without upgrading or downgrading your firmware. When you whipe your device, (I highly suggest to put it on airplane mode) and preform the wipe through the settings on your 4S, your iOS version is still there. It is just not activated. Your apple device will still display the connect to iTunes screen.

iTunes does not need to have the iOS 6.x stored in its memory (chances are it will not) stored in its software update database. But, by still having it on your phone, you will be able to restore it and, remove the iOS 8 update's hijacked space on your iOS device! :)

As long as you successfully back your 4S up before you wipe it (do the backup in Airplane mode and, iTunes will harass you less), you can keep your data (optional) and, no matter what, keep your beloved iOS version! :D:cool:

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
If you have the version on your device(iOS 6 or 7) , you can do a backup and restore without upgrading or downgrading your firmware. When you whipe your device, (I highly suggest to put it on airplane mode) and preform the wipe through the settings on your 4S, your iOS version is still there. It is just not activated. Your apple device will still display the connect to iTunes screen.

iTunes does not need to have the iOS 6.x stored in its memory (chances are it will not) stored in its software update database. But, by still having it on your phone, you will be able to restore it and, remove the iOS 8 update's hijacked space on your iOS device! :)

As long as you successfully back your 4S up before you wipe it (do the backup in Airplane mode and, iTunes will harass you less), you can keep your data (optional) and, no matter what, keep your beloved iOS version! :D:cool:
So it's not that iTunes will give you the version you had/want and more that it will simply allow you to restore keeping the same version that you have.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.