Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007
Lists and excessive white space before and after migration to XenForo

With vBulletin at this site, I routinely edit out the automatically inserted white space before and after lists – to compensate for the padding that occurs when the post is previewed or submitted.

So, for example, https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=20491139#post20491139 (with just one line space before and after lists – was the result of markup such as this:

Will the same compensation – removal of automatically added white space – be appropriate following the migration?

If not, then I can change my habits (cease to remove white space) now :)

Attachments

• screenshot 2014-12-16 at 07.59.28.png
    screenshot 2014-12-16 at 07.59.28.png
    107.8 KB · Views: 1,244
Last edited:

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
With vBulletin at this site, I routinely edit out the automatically inserted white space before and after lists – to compensate for the padding that occurs when the post is previewed or submitted.

So, for example, https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=20491139#post20491139 (with just one line space before and after lists – was the result of markup such as this:

[url=https://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=519880&stc=1&d=1418717388]Image[/URL]

Will the same compensation – removal of automatically added white space – be appropriate following the migration?

If not, then I can change my habits (cease to remove white space) now :)

If you have an example in an older post, I can see how it renders on Xenforo.

arn

Eric5h5

macrumors 68020
Dec 9, 2004
You would still need to edit out the whitespace if using BBCode, but note that the editor in XenForo uses WYSIWYG by default (can be turned off). So you'd see this while typing:

xfeditor.png

(I'd already forgotten how primitive VBulletin is for some things; on XenForo I can just drag an image into the editor and poof, there it is, no fiddling with attachments or image links.)

--Eric

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007
Pre-migration testing, including results from XenForo Community

Assuming that general implementation (but not the theme) will be comparable to the implementation at XenForo Community …

Inappropriate loss of white space from code

https://xenforo.com/community/threa...sp-nbsp-nbsp-nbsp-nbsp-nbsp.3864/#post-868542 exemplifies the potential for breakage of code – loss of leading white space from two of ten lines. The losses are normal spaces, not nonbreaking.

Can the same problem be avoided at MacRumors?

Should I report a bug to the developers of XenForo?

No comparable problem with the current implementation of vBulletin:

Code:
   i) one
  ii) two
 iii) three
  iv) four
   v) five
  vi) six
 vii) seven
viii) eight
  ix) nine
   x) ten

Lists

You would still need to edit out the whitespace if using BBCode,

I tested switching between the BBCode editor and rich text editor, lists were handled neatly.

An example of an older post with a list

If you have an example in an older post, I can see how it renders on Xenforo.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1807308/ – some lists, some quotes, a little use of colour and some sized text.

Previewing versus context

but note that the editor in XenForo uses WYSIWYG by default (can be turned off). …

In the XenForo Community test area it's only partial WYSIWYG by default. To get a truer preview of, say, a reply to a topic:
  1. with the rich text editor, begin drafting
  2. include a quote
  3. observe the markup (not WYSIWYG)
  4. click 'More options…'
  5. lose sight of the rest of the topic
  6. click 'Preview'
I see no XenForo-provided method of regaining context (of reviewing other parts of the topic alongside the draft).

I know to Command-click (or Option-Command-click) a point within the trail of breadcrumbs, to open the topic in a separate tab (or background window).

Other users of the software may not find it so easy to regain context after previewing.

Nonbreaking spaces

XenForo converts non-breaking spaces to regular spaces.

Confirmed at https://xenforo.com/community/threa...sp-nbsp-nbsp-nbsp-nbsp-nbsp.3864/#post-868540

Thanks everyone

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Assuming that general implementation (but not the theme) will be comparable to the implementation at XenForo Community …

Inappropriate loss of white space from code

https://xenforo.com/community/threa...sp-nbsp-nbsp-nbsp-nbsp-nbsp.3864/#post-868542 exemplifies the potential for breakage of code – loss of leading white space from two of ten lines. The losses are normal spaces, not nonbreaking.

Can the same problem be avoided at MacRumors?

Should I report a bug to the developers of XenForo?

No comparable problem with the current implementation of vBulletin:

Code:
   i) one
  ii) two
 iii) three
  iv) four
   v) five
  vi) six
 vii) seven
viii) eight
  ix) nine
   x) ten

I replied there with the same and it seemed to work.

arn

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Sounds great. Looking forward to a new look - I've been here a long time - I think the forum is due a make-over .... however can I have one too at the same time ? I'm starting to look 10 years older too ;) MRU

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007
Nonbreaking spaces: an afterthought

… As for non-breaking spaces, I'm not sure that's possible. … What would the use case be?

arn

I just realised, the vast majority of unintended nonbreaking spaces in my drafts are a result of me hitting the space bar too soon after keying Option-; for the horizontal ellipsis character –

That's not an intended use case, just the way it happens. And it's a minor annoyance, not a major problem (but if you do decide to allow nonbreaking spaces, it'll be smart).

Of course, the real solution is for me to be less sloppy with the keyboard …

GreXXL

macrumors member
Apr 7, 2011
Vienna, Austria
Hey. A bit off-topic though I think moving away from vB is a good thing. I personally prefer WoltLab Burning Board over Xeno Forum because it's even more state-of-the-art and offers a much better experience to the users. Just my 2 cents. Maybe worth considering.

macoslion

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2010
You mean that WoltLab Burning Board that came like three years after XenForo and looks and feels the same? Why not use the original then? Gives you a time advantage of about...well, three years.
I think XenForo is a good decision.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Just one more question, what will the avatar size be after the switch? 75x75 is really looking cramped compared to other forums I've seen.
The standard avatar size may (this not a guarantee) be increased to 100x100, circular instead of square. That produces a more up-to-date look, although you get fewer visible pixels for the same width and height.
75x75 square = 5625 visible pixels
100x100 round = 7854 visible pixels
100x100 square = 10000 visible pixels​

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
A change to 100x100 is a good idea. But...

The standard avatar size may (this not a guarantee) be increased to 100x100, circular instead of square. That produces a more up-to-date look, although you get fewer visible pixels for the same width and height.

Circular avatars? I don't really like the idea of discarding pixel information in the corners. Also, what will happen with an image that is not perfectly square, like mine? I certainly wouldn't want it to end up looking like this:

Attachments

• Circular-Avatar.png
    Circular-Avatar.png
    24 KB · Views: 1,355

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Circular avatars? I don't really like the idea of discarding pixel information in the corners. Also, what will happen with an image that is not perfectly square, like mine? I certainly wouldn't want it to end up looking like this:
If you embed a 70x70 square avatar inside a 100x100 circle it will just fit.

If you embed a 75x75 square avatar inside a 100x100 circle it will lose about 15 pixels in each corner, out of a total of 5625 pixels, so 99% of the avatar will still be visible. To fit 100% of the pixels, the circle would have to be 106x106 pixels.

I think the best plan is to design or choose an avatar that fits the new size and shape, once we know what they turn out to be.

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
If you embed a 70x70 square avatar inside a 100x100 circle it will just fit.

If you embed a 75x75 square avatar inside a 100x100 circle it will lose about 15 pixels in each corner, out of a total of 5625 pixels, so 99% of the avatar will still be visible. To fit 100% of the pixels, the circle would have to be 106x106 pixels.

I think the best plan is to design or choose an avatar that fits the new size and shape, once we know what they turn out to be.

I've done some experimenting. On the left is my current avatar, scaled to 100x75 with transparency on the top and bottom to equal 100x100. In the middle is the same image as it would look in a circular avatar, pretty ugly. On the right it is scaled to 80x60 with transparency surrounding it to equal 100x100 and it looks ok. However, this not only defeats the purpose of moving to a circular avatar, but also increasing the resolution to 100x100.

IMO, moving to circular avatars would be a sad case of form over function, and not even a very effective one if people are decreasing the size of their avatars to avoid information being lost. Square avatars are still the most practical and used my many websites, especially on larger sizes like 100x100.

If you want to increase the aesthetic appeal of plain square avatars without removing too many pixels, try rounded corners.

Attachments

• Square-Avatar.png
    Square-Avatar.png
    21.3 KB · Views: 498
  • Circular-Avatar-2.png
    Circular-Avatar-2.png
    20.3 KB · Views: 493
  • Circular-Avatar-3.png
    Circular-Avatar-3.png
    15.3 KB · Views: 516

poiihy

macrumors 68020
Aug 22, 2014
So MacRumors avatars are going Yosemite style? xD

When we switch to XenForo I hope we will have more OS X smileys. Currently the selection is very small :[

:mad::rolleyes::cool:
:p;):D
:eek::(:)
:confused::eek::apple:

I had an idea for a custom smiley gallery, where people upload/make their own smileys into their own list, so when they make a post, they can access that list and add their smiley.
smiley-biggrin.gif

What's the progress of the migration? Is all the core stuff done, and you're just designing the new design?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.