Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

paulie6978

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 16, 2010
The Cradle of Liberty
I cancelled my VZW service yesterday and now I am regretting this decision since I have NO SERVICE at all on Sprints network at my job. Am I able to cancel Sprint ( purchased yesterday and within 14 days) and go back to my original plan with Verizon? UGH my head hurts :eek::(

lakaiordie

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2008
if they still offer your plan on verizon you should be able to. but if it was a plan they don't offer anymore i think you're out of luck there. I'd call and ask.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
I cancelled my VZW service yesterday and now I am regretting this decision since I have NO SERVICE at all on Sprints network at my job. Am I able to cancel Sprint ( purchased yesterday and within 14 days) and go back to my original plan with Verizon? UGH my head hurts :eek::(

If you were on a Mobile Everything plan you should be able to get it back. If you had a grandfathered unlimited, you might not be, but it's worth a shot. Call and ask for retentions. Did you port your number to Sprint or just cancel outright?

geoff5093

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2014
Dover, NH
Did you transfer your number as well? You didn't think about testing Sprint out first before canceling your old service?

paulie6978

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 16, 2010
The Cradle of Liberty
if they still offer your plan on verizon you should be able to. but if it was a plan they don't offer anymore i think you're out of luck there. I'd call and ask.

i was on the more everything 15 gb plan so they still have it. I'm just wondering if they will give me some kind of a hard time or make me go through the sign up process again.

----------

If you were on a Mobile Everything plan you should be able to get it back. If you had a grandfathered unlimited, you might not be, but it's worth a shot. Call and ask for retentions. Did you port your number to Sprint or just cancel outright?

I ported it over.

----------

Did you transfer your number as well? You didn't think about testing Sprint out first before canceling your old service?

Ported it over. Is that the same as cancelling?

fr4c

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2007
Hamster wheel
Retentions department at Verizon should be able to get you back onto your previous plan (including contract end dates, corporate discounts, etc.). But you will need to call them and see if there is a lag before you can port back your number to them since its only been one day. IIRC you have 30 days to go back to Verizon to keep your old account status.

paulie6978

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 16, 2010
The Cradle of Liberty
Retentions department at Verizon should be able to get you back onto your previous plan (including contract end dates, corporate discounts, etc.). But you will need to call them and see if there is a lag before you can port back your number to them since its only been one day. IIRC you have 30 days to go back to Verizon to keep your old account status.

well that's a relief

JulesJam

Suspended
Sep 20, 2014
IIRC you have 30 days to go back to Verizon to keep your old account status.
Yes, and you need to get to the right department. They call it the Win Back or Customer Loyalty department. They don't call it retentions. Asking for retentions gets you to financial services.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
I thought Sprint phones could roam on Verizon? I remember when I was on Sprint way back when, my phone would always roam to Verizon when out of Sprint coverage area. It worked great.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
I thought Sprint phones could roam on Verizon? I remember when I was on Sprint way back when, my phone would always roam to Verizon when out of Sprint coverage area. It worked great.

It depends on where they have roaming agreements. Also, Sprint and Verizon have different LTE bands. On LTE, Sprint's roaming agreements are pretty much with a small collection of regional carriers like US Cellular and C-Spire. Verizon has agreements with a different band of rural carriers.

LTE spectrum is much more fragmented than 2G or 3G spectrum ever was. There were basically 2 major bands of 2G and 4 bands of 3G. There are about a dozen bands of LTE in use in the US between all the carriers.

Verizon is out on its own with Band 13. AT&T effectively created Band 17 out of spectrum that overlaps, but is not compatible with Band 12, which T-Mobile and US Cellular are deploying. AT&T also has a few other bands that are unique to them or their roaming partners. AT&T and Verizon are also repurposing some of their AWS and PCS band space to LTE. That's why phones and tablets need to support lots of bands today. For nearly 2 decades the carriers agreed on bands but disagreed on the fundamental technology (GSM vs CDMA, etc.). Now they all agree on technology (LTE) but have their own patchwork of frequencies.

paulie6978

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 16, 2010
The Cradle of Liberty

the funniest part of getting my service with sprint yesterday was when the rep told me that sprint and verizon have a carrier agreement and that sprint uses verizons service towers. i should have known then that they were full of it

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
the funniest part of getting my service with sprint yesterday was when the rep told me that sprint and verizon have a carrier agreement and that sprint uses verizons service towers. i should have known then that they were full of it
First lesson a Sprint customer learns is that Sprint lies to make a sale. Second lesson that a Sprint customer learns is that once they have you they don't care about your problems.

I don't believe any of the roaming agreements Sprint may have with Verizon cover LTE. Even so, the current plans only allow for 100mb roaming and that Sprint just cuts you off when you hit the roaming limit. The Sprint rep probably "neglected" to tell you that. ;-)

ISFPOWER

macrumors newbie
Nov 27, 2014
i had them all, verizon is the best and i travel a lot through out the US on the road, my service works everywhere.

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2013
First lesson a Sprint customer learns is that Sprint lies to make a sale. Second lesson that a Sprint customer learns is that once they have you they don't care about your problems.

I don't believe any of the roaming agreements Sprint may have with Verizon cover LTE. Even so, the current plans only allow for 100mb roaming and that Sprint just cuts you off when you hit the roaming limit. The Sprint rep probably "neglected" to tell you that. ;-)

As an ex employee of a Sprint subsidiary, I agree completely. I left because the lies are almost completely overwhelming. I was at a stage where I lied more than I told the truth!

macblitz

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2014
please keep us updated on the end result if you were successful to convert back.

AppleFanatic10

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2010
Hawthorne, CA
Cancelled Verizon service for Sprint yesterday, but can I go back to Verizon ...

Ha! Earlier this year or late last year, a guy at the Sprint kiosk tried to get me to buy a 5S from them if they paid off my ETF for $5/month. No way, man. I'd rather deal with higher prices and reliable data/voice than cheap prices with no service.

BTW: I have Verizon.

Bro KV

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2011
Does anyone still have the unlimited data on Verizon? How did you keep it?

paulie6978

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 16, 2010
The Cradle of Liberty
please keep us updated on the end result if you were successful to convert back.

This was a SUCCESS. I was on the phone for a good 45 minutes last night with winback but they were able to turn my service back on and port my phone number back from sprint.

The gentleman i spoke to was awesome. I am back on my old plan but he told me to call him back so we could go over options for decreasing my bill (wishful thinking) but he also gave me a $150 credit to use for anything I'd like.

I was very impressed with the level or service i received.

I do need to sign up for myverizon again and do a few other things that were thrown out of wack from be switching.

Taking my iphone 6 on sprint back today and cancelling their service.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.