Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MiniD3

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 9, 2013
Australia
Hi Guys,
A friend of mine has just upgraded his laptop to a Macbook Air,
He is using his old Modem/dongle? Not exactly sure what the correct name is?

With the old Modem, he just got a new sim card and went from there, the modem must be about 4-5 years old now

Would there be any communication/signal improvement with a new modem,

lastly, I've heard that the "stand alone" modem is a better option as it is not going to get knocked and damage the USB connection

FWIW, he had problems getting communications lately, sometimes hit and miss affair and was suspecting the modem
........Gary

cruisin

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2014
Canada
There are various names for it but I call it an internet stick. The most significant update today is LTE speeds which are much quicker compared to the previous 3G. This depends if you have LTE available in your area but most cities have it by now. This will use up your monthly quota faster (if you have one) so its up to you if this is an advantage. It might have a slightly better antenna but I doubt it.

The standalone (mobile hotspot or MiFi device) is better if you want to use multiple devices or devices that only use WiFi (like a tablet). It needs to have a charged battery or be plugged in to work. Some might use USB for power, but I never checked so I'm not sure. It is definitely bigger so you need to have space for it.

The communications issue could be a bad dongle, but it could be a reception issue. Has he tried it in a different area, maybe near a window?

MiniD3

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 9, 2013
Australia
Tks cruisin,

Will pass that on,
Your idea may help, bit hard to move the laptop near a window so a remote modem may help
........Gary

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK
Will pass that on,
Your idea may help, bit hard to move the laptop near a window so a remote modem may help
........Gary

Get a Huawei E5776 4G/LTS MiFi device. I use one when I am not in the office or at home and it's excellent. Before I bought this device, I was using the Huawei E586 3G modem which is much cheaper but only 3G, but once again it was excellent.

MiniD3

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 9, 2013
Australia
Thank you,

His communications has slightly improved a little,
but will purchase in the new year,
he lives slightly remote from a major city and it is awkward to
get to a suitable dealer so close to Xmas
.......Gary

cruisin

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2014
Canada
If moving the laptop has improved a little then he could try to find out where the nearest tower is so to aim for it. They are usually near a main road or big stores. Look up a few images for how they look.

For a quick fix, can he get a USB extension cable? Its not ideal, but it allows the laptop to stay in place and they are not expensive.

MiniD3

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 9, 2013
Australia
If moving the laptop has improved a little then he could try to find out where the nearest tower is so to aim for it. They are usually near a main road or big stores. Look up a few images for how they look.

For a quick fix, can he get a USB extension cable? Its not ideal, but it allows the laptop to stay in place and they are not expensive.

Thank you,
Appears he is going to get a "stand alone" modem in the new year
Appreciates the help here
........Gary

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.