Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JerTheGeek

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 15, 2014
I'm curious what kind of battery life people are getting on their 5s with iOS 8.
I seem to be getting around 4-6 hours on a charge, doing email, messaging, phone calls, web, music, and other standard phone tasks. Is this about normal, or is there something messed up?
Thanks,
JerTheGeek

MattMJB0188

macrumors 68020
Dec 28, 2009
I'm curious what kind of battery life people are getting on their 5s with iOS 8.
I seem to be getting around 4-6 hours on a charge, doing email, messaging, phone calls, web, music, and other standard phone tasks. Is this about normal, or is there something messed up?
Thanks,
JerTheGeek

I get about double that, but of course I wasn't foolish enough to update it past iOS 7.1.2.

JerTheGeek

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 15, 2014
I get about double that, but of course I wasn't foolish enough to update it past iOS 7.1.2.

Yeah but it's now on 8.1, so any battery issue bugs should be fixed by now, and iOS 8 was designed for newer models.

Count Blah

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2004
US of A
After getting burnt with < 66.67% less battery life taking my 4s to iOS 7, my 5s is staying on 7.1.2 as long as possible. Insane battery life on my 5s, and I'm not giving that up.

Woochifer

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2007
5-7 hours is my typical battery life (presuming that the indicator is somewhat linear, since I don't normally drain the battery all the way). Of course, if I was playing certain games, then it could go as low as 2 hours. If I switch off the cellular antenna, then I can go closer to 8 or 9 hours. And in Airplane Mode, I can push 10 hours if I'm just reading e-books or listening to music files. And the brightness, background modes, location services, and other settings all factor into the battery life as well.

I haven't noticed any change in the battery life with any iteration of iOS 8 on my 5s. The only time I did notice a change to the battery life was when iOS 7.1 came out, and switched the location services on in the background. Changing some of the settings helped restore some of the battery life after that update.

FWIW, my phone's at 78% with 1 1/2 hours usage and 11 hours standby. No different than how it's always been.

----------

You mean you're getting 8-10 hours on iOS 7.1.2? Interesting ... what was your battery life before iOS 7.1?

Last edited:

JerTheGeek

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 15, 2014
So I guess my battery is around average?
Here is a screenshot of battery usage:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 108

JerTheGeek

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 15, 2014
you're using safari and using youtube mostly. that sucks up a lot. your phone might last the day. but not if you keep watching youtube vids.

YouTube usage isn't always watching. Often I check my view counts or reply to comments, since I run a channel. I watch the occasional video but not too often on my phone; I usually watch on my iPad instead.

----------

my phone's at 78% with 1 1/2 hours usage and 11 hours standby. No different than how it's always been.

That seems to be about what I'm getting; 1-2 hours per 20%, which equates to 5-7 hours. I guess this really isn't that bad; I mean 5 hours of actually having the screen on is quite a lot of time to be using my iPhone throughout the day

Woochifer

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2007
YouTube usage isn't always watching. Often I check my view counts or reply to comments, since I run a channel. I watch the occasional video but not too often on my phone; I usually watch on my iPad instead.

----------

That seems to be about what I'm getting; 1-2 hours per 20%, which equates to 5-7 hours. I guess this really isn't that bad; I mean 5 hours of actually having the screen on is quite a lot of time to be using my iPhone throughout the day

The screen brightness makes a huge difference, as does your cellular coverage. When traveling into an area with weak cell service, the battery life on my phone goes way down.

JerTheGeek

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 15, 2014
Anyone else have suggestions? Or do others also have the same 4-5 hour battery life?

mofunk

macrumors 68020
Aug 26, 2009
Americas
I can go about all day on a full charge. But like someone else said about Safari and Youtube… those aren't heavily used because for the most part I can use a third party app. For news and stuff Flipboard works fine. Youtube videos I will watch on my Mac or just limit my time on the youtube app to 10min.

Some days I will turn off my phone just so it can rest.

There are some apps I don't need to use on Cellular so I turn those off. Notifications are limited to a few apps. When I'm done with the apps I closed them. Brightness on the screen is turned down.

JerTheGeek

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 15, 2014
I can go about all day on a full charge. But like someone else said about Safari and Youtube… those aren't heavily used because for the most part I can use a third party app. For news and stuff Flipboard works fine. Youtube videos I will watch on my Mac or just limit my time on the youtube app to 10min.

Some days I will turn off my phone just so it can rest.

There are some apps I don't need to use on Cellular so I turn those off. Notifications are limited to a few apps. When I'm done with the apps I closed them. Brightness on the screen is turned down.

I heard that closing apps can actually reduce battery life; cause every time you open an app, it uses more battery.

mofunk

macrumors 68020
Aug 26, 2009
Americas
Nope. That doesn't make sense. If you close an App its not running so how would it run down the battery. Why would it use more battery? It uses the same battery based on how long it takes to connect and how you are using it. Oh and how much processing the app is using.

You just need to play around with it. Check your settings and make sure some of the stuff is turned off or not running. Like Refreshing some apps that don't need to. I have Maps Refresh turned on just in case I need to make a u-turn or something.

JerTheGeek

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 15, 2014
Nope. That doesn't make sense. If you close an App its not running so how would it run down the battery. Why would it use more battery? It uses the same battery based on how long it takes to connect and how you are using it. Oh and how much processing the app is using.

You just need to play around with it. Check your settings and make sure some of the stuff is turned off or not running. Like Refreshing some apps that don't need to. I have Maps Refresh turned on just in case I need to make a u-turn or something.

Read this: http://www.scottyloveless.com/blog/2014/the-ultimate-guide-to-solving-ios-battery-drain

it goes more in depth about why closing apps uses battery.

----------

Also, I noticed just now my battery went from 31% to like 23% in literally 3 minutes. Something seems to be abnormal here

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.