Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ViperDesign

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 7, 2007
Utah
I would like to use a prepaid card for apple pay, can anyone tell me which ones work with it?

Thanks

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Apple-Pay-supported-cards.png

Apparently Amex, Chase, And Wells. I didn;t realize the latter two offered prepaid?

----------

An even newer list...

http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT6288

nouveau-apple

macrumors 6502a
Sep 29, 2014
I know that was the first card I attempted to add. Because Serve is so ahead of the game. It's the best prepaid card out there and almost, if not better than a bank.

AppleFanatic10

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2010
Hawthorne, CA
Prepaid card for Apple Pay

I know that was the first card I attempted to add. Because Serve is so ahead of the game. It's the best prepaid card out there and almost, if not better than a bank.

I tried to also and automatically got the rejected. My other two cards work fine. Apple and AMEX should really consider adding it back.

ViperDesign

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 7, 2007
Utah
that was the nice thing about using google wallet, the ability to use prepay cards.

I am on a budget and would like to put money on the card so I can use it during the month either with my phone or card.

ViperDesign

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 7, 2007
Utah
If this is too private a question, I respsect that, but is there a reason you aren't willing to go with a supported debit card?

I have a set limit I can spend on myself, wife and I are using a cash system. I hate carrying cash so I like having my spending money in a prepaid card I can use. I love using my phone when I can, but like having a backup card if needed.

----------

Chase liquid is supported

I should add I went to Chase and signed up for the card and added it tonight to Apple Pay. It worked.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
I have a set limit I can spend on myself, wife and I are using a cash system. I hate carrying cash so I like having my spending money in a prepaid card I can use. I love using my phone when I can, but like having a backup card if needed.

Wouldn't it be easier and less expensive (no monthly fees) to open a dedicated account with a supported debit card solely for the spending money? After all, you can't spend money you don't have with a debit card anyway.

ViperDesign

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 7, 2007
Utah
Wouldn't it be easier and less expensive (no monthly fees) to open a dedicated account with a supported debit card solely for the spending money? After all, you can't spend money you don't have with a debit card anyway.

Yeah losing 4 bucks a month is annoying but I just like prepaid. I usually use my google wallet card but that isn't support on apple pay

mofunk

macrumors 68020
Aug 26, 2009
Americas
I would open a separate bank account to use for the card. Some of the Credit Unions that already have Apps will also use Apple Pay. Get one that has free banking.

Mr. Buzzcut

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2011
Ohio

This is actually pretty difficult to do at many banks. They REALLY want you to have "courtesy overdraft protection" that comes with fees and interest every time you go negative. They'd like you to think this is better than a purchase being declined.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
This is actually pretty difficult to do at many banks. They REALLY want you to have "courtesy overdraft protection" that comes with fees and interest every time you go negative. They'd like you to think this is better than a purchase being declined.

Pretty difficult to do? I can easily toggle options on that on my bank's website and I'm pretty sure there's an overdraft protection law that requires customers to opt-in to such coverage.

ViperDesign

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 7, 2007
Utah
Anyways thanks for the help fellas. To me the ease of use of just getting a prepaid card is appealing. I have enough bank accounts where I don't want to go make another one.

This is easy, use the money, fill it back up. Very simple :)

From A Buick 8

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2010
Ky Close to CinCinnati
Pretty difficult to do? I can easily toggle options on that on my bank's website and I'm pretty sure there's an overdraft protection law that requires customers to opt-in to such coverage.

There is no law that requires you to opt-in to overdraft protection. There may be a law that it has to be offered, but you do not have to Opt-in.

Most Credit Unions are your best bet for stuff like this there are very customer friendly and very willing to help out.

if you insist on the pre-paid card try BlueBird, will not help you with the Applepay thing, but it is free to load money onto it.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
There is no law that requires you to opt-in to overdraft protection. There may be a law that it has to be offered, but you do not have to Opt-in.

Unless it's wrong information, that's not what I've read. See http://www.federalreserve.gov/consumerinfo/wyntk_overdraft.htm

"In the past, some banks automatically enrolled you in their standard overdraft practices for all types of transactions when you opened an account. Under the new rules, your bank must first get your permission to apply its standard overdraft practices to everyday debit card and ATM transactions before you can be charged overdraft fees. To grant this permission, you will need to respond to the notice and opt in (agree)."

Mr. Buzzcut

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2011
Ohio
Unless it's wrong information, that's not what I've read. See http://www.federalreserve.gov/consumerinfo/wyntk_overdraft.htm

"In the past, some banks automatically enrolled you in their standard overdraft practices for all types of transactions when you opened an account. Under the new rules, your bank must first get your permission to apply its standard overdraft practices to everyday debit card and ATM transactions before you can be charged overdraft fees. To grant this permission, you will need to respond to the notice and opt in (agree)."

All I said is they REALLY want you to have it. In the past there were accounts that could not be had without it. Now, as you state, it it optional. The problem was and is that customers don't understand all of the things they are being told when they open an account. They may have it and not even remember agreeing to it. Those clever salespeople. I think they get by reversing fees when asked to do so. Fees that customers tend to not understand, either.

I have family members who work at chain banks. The practices are quite familiar to me. Just beware. And, yes, credit unions are typically the way to go.

From A Buick 8

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2010
Ky Close to CinCinnati

I think we are saying the same thing.

You do not have to take overdraft protection unless you want it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.