Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
U.S iPhones come with the SIM card already installed. Uk iPhones do not hence why we get a removal tool. Also due to fantastic trading laws in the uk we get an OFFICIAL apple sim free iPhone from day one.

We had an official unlocked version on day one. It just came with a free T-Mobile SIM card.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
All Apple iPhones in the UK are effectively provided to the Networks "sim free" - it's the activation of the sim in the phone that locks it to the network ...and even then, Unlocking is simply a case of asking your network provider after your contract cancellation period is over.

It's still locked though? What's the difference?

Artimus12

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2011
YooKay
It's still locked though? What's the difference?
if you'd taken your newly issued (but unopened) O2 iPhone to Africa and put an African sim card in it, it would work! The only reason it wouldn't work in the UK is because the different Networks here have an agreement not to activate IMEI's registered to other Networks - so it's technically not locked to O2, it's Blocked by the others from using their networks.

When you request an Unlock, all O2 will do is remove your IMEI from their list, so it's no longer registered to them and you're free to reactivate (via iTunes) on any network you choose.

If you're a Pay Monthly customer, then you can unlock your iPhone at any time, for free. This doesn't affect your contract though – you'll still need to see out the rest of it. This policy may vary depending on your phone.

from: http://www.o2.co.uk/help/phones-and-devices/unlocking-your-iphone-and-using-it-on-another-network

iPhone 6 is not yet being freed - they don't usually release for 3 months with a new iPhone.

Last edited:

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
The issue is not how to find one paperclip, I have 5 SIM eject tools, the issue is that Apple every time offer you less for the same money.

I do not consider a significantly improved processor, larger battery capacity, better LTE support, faster WiFi support, NFC, larger screen and (for some models) double the storage "less for the same money." But, if you're going to ignore all of this and gripe over a 13.5 cent piece of metal that you can buy yourself in bulk, maybe iPhones aren't for you?

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
I do not consider a significantly improved processor, larger battery capacity, better LTE support, faster WiFi support, NFC, larger screen and (for some models) double the storage "less for the same money." But, if you're going to ignore all of this and gripe over a 13.5 cent piece of metal that you can buy yourself in bulk, maybe iPhones aren't for you?

So, he/she does not have a right to their opinion like you?

So easy to judge people.:rolleyes:

nouveau-apple

macrumors 6502a
Sep 29, 2014
Who the hell merged this thread? Everyone knows nouveau-apple is a troll. Something fishy going on here...

Nouveau..are you a mod in disguise? Agent provocateur? Who do you work for? WHO DO YOU WORK FOR?!

A mod, you wish. But because of my location and social status, I bring a valuable perspective to the table.

quietstormSD

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2010
San Diego, CA
I think if your phone is carrier locked in the USA at purchase, Apple doesn't provide a SIM eject tool since the iPhone 4.

I think people would be surprised at the cost savings of not including a specific part in a package a specific way.

noekozz

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2010
212/201
Just use a thumbtack or a paperclip and problem solved. Unless the iPhone is already unlocked, they don't come with the sim tray tool.

If you absolutely must have one, just jump on ebay and you can get them for next to nothing.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
For $249 you can get a SIM ejector tool with a free iPad mini included.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.