Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

duncansby

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 18, 2012
My current iMac is a an early 2009 24" model and has always performed well (upgraded RAM a coupe of years ago). However since Yosemite it has become quite sluggish so I was thinking of buying a new 21.5" Mac, but was disappointed that there was no upgrades tihs year. I cannot justify the £2000 for a retina display.

Is it still worth purchasing the 21.5 2.7Ghz iMac, or should we soldier on until next autumn hoping for an upgrade. We mainly use it for web-browsing, basic photo editing and the odd spreadsheet

troy14

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2008
Las Vegas (Summerlin), NV
My current iMac is a an early 2009 24" model and has always performed well (upgraded RAM a coupe of years ago). However since Yosemite it has become quite sluggish so I was thinking of buying a new 21.5" Mac, but was disappointed that there was no upgrades tihs year. I cannot justify the £2000 for a retina display.

Is it still worth purchasing the 21.5 2.7Ghz iMac, or should we soldier on until next autumn hoping for an upgrade. We mainly use it for web-browsing, basic photo editing and the odd spreadsheet

My parents were using an older 24" iMac that I wanted to upgrade for them. The 24" was a great size, I got them at 21.5" and immediately realized it was way small. My mother (who can barely turn the thing on) even commented on how small it felt. I then returned it and got them a 27"... it is much better, but maybe just a TAD big. The 24" was truly a great size.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.