Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nunyabinez

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 27, 2010
Provo, UT
I was hoping someone would help me with a question. I have been trying to figure out a way to get Windows onto an external drive and have not succeeded.

Apparently, it is possible with a thunderbolt drive because it is seen a an extension of the internal bus, but I have UBS 3.0 drives and don't want to spend what it costs for a thunderbolt drive.

Here is my question: Does anyone know if I could install OS X on an external USB 3.0 drive and then use the boot camp assistant to install windows on that drive? That way I could use all of my internal SSD for my Mac and then boot into OS X on the external drive and use the startup drive tool to boot into Windows. I know that's a cludgy way to do it, but I wanted to know if anyone has successfully done this successfully before I move data around and reformat drives, etc. Any ideas? Thanks guys.

sonicrobby

macrumors 68020
Apr 24, 2013
New Orleans
I'm not sure you'd even need to install OS X onto that external, you should be able to install windows directly onto that drive. I've never actually done it directly from a Mac, but I have done it on windows.

Worst case scenario, use boot camp to put windows on your ssd, then though windows, try installing windows on the external. Make sure the external is formatted for windows tho. In the past I haven't had issues with this. When windows install prompts for the drive, simply select the external and it should go through the motions.

Nunyabinez

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 27, 2010
Provo, UT
I'm not sure you'd even need to install OS X onto that external, you should be able to install windows directly onto that drive. I've never actually done it directly from a Mac, but I have done it on windows.

Worst case scenario, use boot camp to put windows on your ssd, then though windows, try installing windows on the external. Make sure the external is formatted for windows tho. In the past I haven't had issues with this. When windows install prompts for the drive, simply select the external and it should go through the motions.

Unfortunately, Windows does not support installing to external disks. Even if you create a USB thumb drive installer, it can tell what is internal and what is external. I tried using Macrium Reflect which creates bootable clones of Windows disks, but the Mac won't recognize the disk when I use the option key at boot up.

sonicrobby

macrumors 68020
Apr 24, 2013
New Orleans
Unfortunately, Windows does not support installing to external disks. Even if you create a USB thumb drive installer, it can tell what is internal and what is external. I tried using Macrium Reflect which creates bootable clones of Windows disks, but the Mac won't recognize the disk when I use the option key at boot up.

Well that's a shame. Actually now that you mention it, I do recall putting the external hxD inside my tower computer, installing windows onto it, and then putting it back into its external case. Any friends of yours have a tower of you can use to attempt that?

Nunyabinez

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 27, 2010
Provo, UT
Well that's a shame. Actually now that you mention it, I do recall putting the external hxD inside my tower computer, installing windows onto it, and then putting it back into its external case. Any friends of yours have a tower of you can use to attempt that?

Unfortunately not. I do have a toshiba external drive formatted with NTFS that is recognized in the option boot. I may try cloning my boot camp to that and seeing if it will launch. If not, I'll try my original idea of putting OS X on an external drive and seeing if the boot camp assistant will recognize it as internal.

hfg

macrumors 68040
Dec 1, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA. USA
Search around here and you will find several methods for putting Windows on an external disk ... including "Windows To Go" methods.

However, I find the easiest for me is to use BootCamp to install a local internal Windows and get it stable. Then, use "WinClone" to take that image and put it on a external drive (I usually use either LaCie "Rugged" Thunderbolt or Seagate Thunderbolt adapters) ...then use BootCamp to remove the internal install and return the space to OS X. You can then use WinClone to maintain periodic backups of your Windows installation.

I have done it many times and "WinClone" by TwoCanoes Software has never let me down.

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
I was hoping someone would help me with a question. I have been trying to figure out a way to get Windows onto an external drive and have not succeeded.

Apparently, it is possible with a thunderbolt drive because it is seen a an extension of the internal bus, but I have UBS 3.0 drives and don't want to spend what it costs for a thunderbolt drive.

Here is my question: Does anyone know if I could install OS X on an external USB 3.0 drive and then use the boot camp assistant to install windows on that drive? That way I could use all of my internal SSD for my Mac and then boot into OS X on the external drive and use the startup drive tool to boot into Windows. I know that's a cludgy way to do it, but I wanted to know if anyone has successfully done this successfully before I move data around and reformat drives, etc. Any ideas? Thanks guys.

This method works for both USB and Thunderbolt, booting in UEFI:

Connect external drive to Windows VM. You must have a Windows VM in VMware/Parallels.

What you need:
install.wim file (obtain this from your Windows ISO)

Open elevated cmd.exe

Note: All commands aren't case sensitive, including pathway to files.

Type diskpart
Type list disk
Take note of the disk you want to select
Type select disk 1 (if your disk is Disk 1)
Type clean
Type convert gpt
Type create partition EFI size=100
Type format quick fs=fat32 label=EFI
Type assign letter=S
Type create partition primary
Type format fs=ntfs quick label=W2G (or any other name you wish for label)
Type assign letter=E
Type exit

Open up File Explorer. In your C drive, create a new folder named WIN2GO.
Put the install.wim file in this folder

Back in cmd.exe:
Type dism /apply-image /imagefile:C:\WIN2GO\install.wim /index:1 /applydir:E:\ (this process will take quite a while)
Type E:\Windows\System32\bcdboot E:\Windows /s S: /f UEFI

Restart your entire Mac. After the chime, hold down Option and when prompted to select your boot drive, select EFI Boot.

Proceed installation normally.

After installation, install Boot Camp drivers.

No need to pay for WinClone or create an internal Boot Camp partition. A VM will do (can be VirtualBox or a trial of Parallels or VMware).

This method basically takes advantage of the dism.exe utility to create an unofficial Windows to Go drive.

Please PM me if you run into any difficulties, I'll be happy to help.

Nunyabinez

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 27, 2010
Provo, UT
This method works for both USB and Thunderbolt, booting in UEFI:

Connect external drive to Windows VM. You must have a Windows VM in VMware/Parallels.

What you need:
install.wim file (obtain this from your Windows ISO)

Open elevated cmd.exe

Note: All commands aren't case sensitive, including pathway to files.

Type diskpart
Type list disk
Take note of the disk you want to select
Type select disk 1 (if your disk is Disk 1)
Type clean
Type convert gpt
Type create partition EFI size=100
Type format quick fs=fat32 label=EFI
Type assign letter=S
Type create partition primary
Type format fs=ntfs quick label=W2G (or any other name you wish for label)
Type assign letter=E
Type exit

Open up File Explorer. In your C drive, create a new folder named WIN2GO.
Put the install.wim file in this folder

Back in cmd.exe:
Type dism /apply-image /imagefile:C:\WIN2GO\install.wim /index:1 /applydir:E:\ (this process will take quite a while)
Type E:\Windows\System32\bcdboot E:\Windows /s S: /f UEFI

Restart your entire Mac. After the chime, hold down Option and when prompted to select your boot drive, select EFI Boot.

Proceed installation normally.

After installation, install Boot Camp drivers.

No need to pay for WinClone or create an internal Boot Camp partition. A VM will do (can be VirtualBox or a trial of Parallels or VMware).

This method basically takes advantage of the dism.exe utility to create an unofficial Windows to Go drive.

Please PM me if you run into any difficulties, I'll be happy to help.

Thanks for the guide. I will give it a shot and let you know how it goes. I already have windows 10 TP in parallels.

SaSaSushi

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2007
Takamatsu, Japan
I have done it many times and "WinClone" by TwoCanoes Software has never let me down.

Absolutely excellent advice. WinClone is the easiest, most intuitive and fastest method of moving, backing up and/or replicating BootCamp.

No kludges, no convoluted hacks and no nonsense. It's well worth its price.

espnfanco

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2014
A couple nights ago, I was able to install Windows 8 on a Lacie TB external SSD drive just using bootcamp. I have read there might be compatibility issues with USB 3.0.

steve62388

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2013
And, as pointed out to you in that thread, this was most likely not due to any limitation whatsoever on the part of WinClone but rather an issue with the enclosure you were using.

And just like the makers of Winclone you neglect to mention that it doesn't always work. Are you employed by them?

SaSaSushi

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2007
Takamatsu, Japan
And just like the makers of Winclone you neglect to mention that it doesn't always work. Are you employed by them?

I have no connection to TwoCanoes Software other than being a very satisfied customer.

Yes, Windows does not work on all external devices. Sorry to hear about your issues, really, but the developers of WinClone can not be held responsible for hardware incompatibilities, no matter how much want to blame them for it.

Nunyabinez

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 27, 2010
Provo, UT
So, using yjchua95's method I was able to get everything working. One issue I had was that several of my drives would just not appear in the option menu no matter what I tried. I have a fairly new toshiba canvio drive and since it would consistently show in the option menu I put windows on that.

I will likely experiment more as I have an SSD that I would rather use, but I may need a different case for it to work, or I may just be stuck with the toshiba, which is OK.

So, thanks yjchua95.

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
So, using yjchua95's method I was able to get everything working. One issue I had was that several of my drives would just not appear in the option menu no matter what I tried. I have a fairly new toshiba canvio drive and since it would consistently show in the option menu I put windows on that.

I will likely experiment more as I have an SSD that I would rather use, but I may need a different case for it to work, or I may just be stuck with the toshiba, which is OK.

So, thanks yjchua95.

Glad it helped.

For the record, you need to purchase enclosures that support UASP.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.