Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SpoonCody

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2014
The screen is pretty impressive and the way it handles phone calls is interesting, too. Innovative, even.

But other than those few things, I'm not particularly interested. But kudos for Sharp to enter the market with something fairly unique and special. Nice way to make a splash.

It'll be interesting to see where this goes...

spriter

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2004
Like the look of this and it's great to see things being pushed to the limit.

I'm sure there's some smart engineers out there who could make this work (ignoring spurious touches).

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
Except it's going to be a pain in the ass to use. The thing I hated the most about my old G2 (aside from the dumb back buttons) was the fact that I'd accidentally tap on absolutely everything at the edges by just holding the phone. There needs to be some kind of bezel to prevent accidental input from the edges. This phone is going to be wildly uncomfortable just for the sake of looking cool on a table.

Agreed. I'd also be concerned about impact. Don't bezels somewhat protect the glass a little by providing a buffer?

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Except it's going to be a pain in the ass to use. The thing I hated the most about my old G2 (aside from the dumb back buttons) was the fact that I'd accidentally tap on absolutely everything at the edges by just holding the phone. There needs to be some kind of bezel to prevent accidental input from the edges. This phone is going to be wildly uncomfortable just for the sake of looking cool on a table.
I have had no issues with using the Aquos Crystal because of a lack of bezels on 3 sides.

Agreed. I'd also be concerned about impact. Don't bezels somewhat protect the glass a little by providing a buffer?
No. For example, iPhones have bezels but the glass goes edge to edge. In situations like that, there's just as much glass... it's only that not all of it is touch-enabled.

mKTank

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2010

Yea. Usually your front panel might shatter but at least the display and digitizer would be intact most of the time. In this phone, it's a wholesale shatterfest.

So, sacrificing usability, check. Sacrificing longevity, check. But hey at least it looks cool on a table. :rolleyes:

(Not really because the asymmetry is hideous)

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Yea. Usually your front panel might shatter but at least the display and digitizer would be intact most of the time. In this phone, it's a wholesale shatterfest.

So, sacrificing usability, check. Sacrificing longevity, check. But hey at least it looks cool on a table. :rolleyes:

(Not really because the asymmetry is hideous)
so much disdain for a device with no redeeming qualities...except looking cool on a table. :p

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Looks like a black version of the Sharp Aquos Crystal. I own one (Crystal)... love it. I think it is the most unique phone $150 (no contract) can buy.

How is that ear speaker working out? I think tech like this is what phone makers should be working on instead of continuing to beef up specs, although I'd LOVE to see the Aquos but with high end specs and on GSM, I'd prob buy one in a heartbeat.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
How is that ear speaker working out? I think tech like this is what phone makers should be working on instead of continuing to beef up specs, although I'd LOVE to see the Aquos but with high end specs and on GSM, I'd prob buy one in a heartbeat.
Surprisingly good. One is supposed to place their ear directly on the screen but even with it a 1/2" or so away I could still hear it clearly. I have Tinnitus so I was impressed with how well it works.

Sprint-based BoostMobile service is "ok", but I'd prefer the AT&T-based StraightTalk that I had before. I wanted the phone for the phone itself, but also to a lesser degree to support Sharp with the hope that they would release a GSM version.

Should Sharp produce a GSM version in the US, I'll be on it, and use this one as a replacement for my iPod Touch. It really makes a terrific portable media player.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.