Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Christian 5G

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 16, 2010
Orange County, CA
I wanted to transfer two songs from my iTunes on computer to my iPhone 5s. When I plug my iPhone to my MacBook Air, it makes the beeping sound that the phone is charging, problem is it keeps beeping and it won't stop.
Then... on my computer a window would pop up and say "iTunes could not connect to this iPhone. This device is no longer connected.". Once I unplug my phone, I would have to press ok on that window so many times to get rid of it.
Every time that charging sound was made, the window opened up.
Is this my computer not working or is it the iPhone? How can I get my iPhone connected to my Macbook air, and safely put in the music?

Thank you for your help!! Very appreciated

Last edited:

PsyOpWarlord

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2010
Colorado Springs, CO
Try a simple power your phone all the way off and then turn it back on. I've had this issue twice before when I plugged my phone into my car. It could just keep connecting over and over until I cycled power on the phone.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Do I have to make an appointment for that or just walk in?

Thanks for the info

The way their appointments work is they will make one if they aren't busy when you walk in. pretty much everything "requires" an appointment. At this time of year I would recommend making one over walking in.

That said, just blow into the port with some compressed air or run a cotton swap or toothpick (gently) in there. They probably aren't going to do anything to clean it that you aren't also able to do yourself.

lakaiordie

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2008
The way their appointments work is they will make one if they aren't busy when you walk in. pretty much everything "requires" an appointment. At this time of year I would recommend making one over walking in.

That said, just blow into the port with some compressed air or run a cotton swap or toothpick (gently) in there. They probably aren't going to do anything to clean it that you aren't also able to do yourself.

Blowing air in wont do anything. Something thin like a paper clip. Just be careful and gentle.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Blowing air in wont do anything. Something thin like a paper clip. Just be careful and gentle.

I've had air work just fine. Really depends on what is in there to be honest. Air is going to be the least invasive with almost no chance of causing damage. I don't personally recommend sticking anything metal in there, but to each his own.

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
I would suggest air as well or a wooden toothpick and being gentle. Have you tried just a charging block and cable in an outlet to see if it still beeps that way?

Archer1440

Suspended
Mar 10, 2012
USA
I had this happen with a specific lighting cable. Another cable was fine. Didn't try cleaning the contacts, will try that sometime.

Christian 5G

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 16, 2010
Orange County, CA
Little update.

I have tried a cable from my roommate and it worked with no problems.

Looks like my cable ran out of its life but it just doesn't make sense that I use it to charge a phone from wall outlet but can't use it to charge from my macbook. Yes, the cable is from the box that came with my iPhone 5s last year.

Thanks for the help. I will have to go buy a new cable from Apple

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Little update.

I have tried a cable from my roommate and it worked with no problems.

Looks like my cable ran out of its life but it just doesn't make sense that I use it to charge a phone from wall outlet but can't use it to charge from my macbook. Yes, the cable is from the box that came with my iPhone 5s last year.

Thanks for the help. I will have to go buy a new cable from Apple

Apple is pretty good about replacing cables for free. Take the defective one and ask nicely.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

Mother2midwife

macrumors newbie
Apr 26, 2017
Same thing happening to me... This is how it randomly stopped:

- I completely powered down my iPad (held down power and round buttons together till it turned off)
- connected charging cable to my Mac desktop
- connected charging cable to my iPad (which powered it up- No dinging)
- when it was done powering up, I unlocked my iPad (No dinging)
- I then disconnected the cable from the iPad (but cable was still plugged into computer USB)
- then I connected it again to my iPad (no dinging, & iTunes/iPhoto popped up like they usually do!)

I HOPE this helps someone else!

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
My sister has been having the same problem lately as well, but we have determined that the issue is her logic board and USB ports. Seems that every USB device connects, disconnects, connects and so on unless she is firmly holding the USB connector in the port.

TechoNigel

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2017
your lightning port could be dirty/ have lint inside. i've seen it plenty of times.
Thank you gave it a try with a small piece of stiff card and some isopropyl alcohol and it works fine! its had me and Apple support baffled for weeks.
[doublepost=1507557359][/doublepost]
I used a piece of stiff card a paper clip may short out the lighting connector, maybe a plastic or wooden cocktail would be best.

Red1baron

macrumors newbie
May 27, 2018
I want to put two songs from my iTunes in my iPhone 5s, so I have the USB part form the charger connected to my MacBook Air, and when I plug in my iPhone, it makes the beep sound that the phone is charging, only it keeps beeping and it won't stop. Then I look on my computer, a window whould pop up and say "iTunes could not connect to this iPhone. This device is no longer connected.". Once I unplug my phone, I would press ok on that window so many times for it to dissappear, like if that window is open so many times. Is this my computer not working or is it the iPhone? How can I get my iPhone connected to my Macbook air, and safely put in the music?

I've read somewhere else on the site that the following works. hold down power button and home button until phone switches off. Plug in lightning cable and allow phone to power up. Now unlock the phone and you should find that it is charging and the beeping has stopped. It worked for me on both my SE and iPhone 6S. (My acknowledgments to the person who originated this fix. I think the name was something like midwife2)

Christian 5G

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 16, 2010
Orange County, CA
I've read somewhere else on the site that the following works. hold down power button and home button until phone switches off. Plug in lightning cable and allow phone to power up. Now unlock the phone and you should find that it is charging and the beeping has stopped. It worked for me on both my SE and iPhone 6S. (My acknowledgments to the person who originated this fix. I think the name was something like midwife2)
Wow thanks for your contribution. This post is now almost 4 years old. Hope it helps somebody who needs help with that issue.

g77777box092923

Suspended
Jun 2, 2018
I want to transfer two songs from my iTunes on computer to my iPhone 5s. When I plug my iPhone to my MacBook Air, it makes the beeping sound that the phone is charging, problem is it keeps beeping and it won't stop. Then... on my computer a window would pop up and say "iTunes could not connect to this iPhone. This device is no longer connected.". Once I unplug my phone, I would have to press ok on that window so many times to get rid of it. Every time that charging sound was made, the window opened up.
Is this my computer not working or is it the iPhone? How can I get my iPhone connected to my Macbook air, and safely put in the music?

First of all I want to know the model of iPhone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.