Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Señor

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 20, 2013
United States
Since my MacBook Pro broke after having water spilt over it, I decided I needed a new computer. With the new iMac with Retina 5K Display having released a very short time ago, I knew this would be my ideal computer for the coming years.

The extremely crisp 5K resolution 27-inch display and the specs the MacBook Pros or MacBook Airs simply cannot support were the deciding factors in my purchase.

I ordered it on December 8th, 2014. choosing the high end configuration. Here are the following specs.

Apple said:
Configuration
4.0GHz QC i7 Turboboost 4.4GHz
32GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM-4x8GB
3TB Fusion Dr (3TB+128GBFlash)
AMD Radeon R9 M295X 4GB GDDR5
MAGIC TRACKPAD
Apple WL Kybd (English)+UG
COUNTRY KIT
Since I was without a main computer, I chose 2-3 Delivery. It estimated it's delivery from December 19th - December 23rd, 2014. I had troubles with my bank due to the amount of money, but it was fixed. Finally on December 16th, my purchase had shipped. It arrived a day earlier than expected.

After using it for a few hours now, I can definitely say this is the absolute best computer I have ever owned in my life and my now favorite Apple product to date. With my custom configuration paired with my 60 MBPS internet, I browse with lightning speed. Watching videos is wonderful, and with the Retina 5K display, it's the highest resolution desktop on the market. It's as if I'm staring at heaven itself.

If its time for a new computer in your house, and if you'll listen to a single forum member, I absolutely recommend it to you over anything else you could possibly buy. It'll serve your needs, tiny or mighty.

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
Since my MacBook Pro broke after having water spilt over it, I decided I needed a new computer. With the new iMac with Retina 5K Display having released a very short time ago, I knew this would be my ideal computer for the coming years.

The extremely crisp 5K resolution 27-inch display and the specs the MacBook Pros or MacBook Airs simply cannot support were the deciding factors in my purchase.

I ordered it on December 8th, 2014. choosing the high end configuration. Here are the following specs.

Since I was without a main computer, I chose 2-3 Delivery. It estimated it's delivery from December 19th - December 23rd, 2014. I had troubles with my bank due to the amount of money, but it was fixed. Finally on December 16th, my purchase had shipped. It arrived a day earlier than expected.

After using it for a few hours now, I can definitely say this is the absolute best computer I have ever owned in my life and my now favorite Apple product to date. With my custom configuration paired with my 60 MBPS internet, I browse with lightning speed. Watching videos is wonderful, and with the Retina 5K display, it's the highest resolution desktop on the market. It's as if I'm staring at heaven itself.

If its time for a new computer in your house, and if you'll listen to a single forum member, I absolutely recommend it to you over anything else you could possibly buy. It'll serve your needs, tiny or mighty.

I have the same exact configuration, just that I've a 512GB SSD. I went for pure SSD for speed and reliability, since I store everything in external storage.

The display's amazing. Just like when I went retina on my rMBPs.

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
I have the same exact configuration, just that I've a 512GB SSD. I went for pure SSD for speed and reliability, since I store everything in external storage.

The display's amazing. Just like when I went retina on my rMBPs.

Yes and yes :D

Edit: Although I sure hope the OP upgraded the RAM themselves.

onefish2

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2006
Nanuet, NY
I recently got the 5k iMac as well. I decided to do a custom order and got it with 16GB of RAM so that I could get 2 8GB sticks and then add two more 8GB sticks later on. Which I did a few days later. Ordered from OWC.

I wasn't interested in having the base 8GB (2 4GB sticks) and then adding two more 8GB sticks for a total of 24GB. Which is supported but not a config that I wanted to run.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
I recently got the 5k iMac as well. I decided to do a custom order and got it with 16GB of RAM so that I could get 2 8GB sticks and then add two more 8GB sticks later on. Which I did a few days later. Ordered from OWC.

I wasn't interested in having the base 8GB (2 4GB sticks) and then adding two more 8GB sticks for a total of 24GB. Which is supported but not a config that I wanted to run.

But... but... why would you pay $200 for the 16GB upgrade if you were just going to add RAM anyway? Wouldn't you rather have had the 8GB they have you (you know, for another system or whatever), and then buy the 32GB and have them all matching, and for less money?

onefish2

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2006
Nanuet, NY
The RAM I got works perfectly fine. I do not have another Mac to put the RAM in. What was I supposed to do with the two 4GB DIMMs? That is why I went that roue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.