Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JerTheGeek

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 15, 2014
Hello all,
Got a question about iOS 8 and my 5s.
I have been experiencing mediocre battery life on my 5s, only around 5 hours. Apple's diagnostic test said the battery is fine, in good condition. I have changed a lot of settings such as turning bluetooth off when not in use, turning off background app refresh, turning off several location service things, etc. But I still get the mediocre battery life. I am starting to think that it is a software thing and maybe it is due to me restoring from a backup on this new 5s. See, I had a similar issue with battery life on my 4s, and that phone was backed up and that backup was restored to this 5s. Could there be something wrong with my backup, some glitch or something messed up? Or should I try a clean install of the OS and then restore from the backup?
Please help me as to what I should do, backup and fresh restore, or just fresh iOS install?
Thanks in advance,
JerTheGeek.

XT550

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2014
I'd go for a restore to factory settings and set the phone as new. I would not restore from backup.
There's also the DFU restore that's known to help with battery issues.

JerTheGeek

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 15, 2014
I'd go for a restore to factory settings and set the phone as new. I would not restore from backup.
There's also the DFU restore that's known to help with battery issues.

What is a DFU reset?

XT550

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2014
Could my battery issue be fixed by a clean restore?

DFU (Device Firmware Update) mode is a means to getting your iPhone to interface with iTunes without iTunes automatically loading the latest version of iOS onto it (it skips the iBoot bootloader, for jailbreak aficionados). Differing from recovery mode is where iTunes restores your iPhone to its original factory settings but with the latest iOS and firmware. (If you don't choose a backup, that is)
Plug your device into your computer
Turn off the device by holding the Sleep/Wake or Power button and swiping it off
Hold the power button for 3 seconds
Begin holding the Home button without releasing the Sleep/Power button for 10 seconds
Release the power button and continue holding the home button until you get a popup from iTunes that your device is recognized as being in recovery mode.
That’s it, you’re in DFU mode. If you get stuck in DFU mode and need to get out, just hold the power button and home button simultaneously until the Apple logo appears.

Note that all the while you're in DFU mode your phone screen is completely black.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.