Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

richxps

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 9, 2008
I've tried all otterboxs and life proof and speck and still after a few days I end up back with my apple leather case. I figured now I'm going to just stick with it, my question is does anyone have a idea what I can put on the exposed part of the phone that the case does not cover , to protect it from scratching ?

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011
I've tried all otterboxs and life proof and speck and still after a few days I end up back with my apple leather case. I figured now I'm going to just stick with it, my question is does anyone have a idea what I can put on the exposed part of the phone that the case does not cover , to protect it from scratching ?

Scotch tape works good. Kidding.

I too keep going back to the apple case, no matter what others I try. LOL

I just wish someone would make an IDENTICAL case, but with coverage on the bottom. Apple, come on!

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
I, also have tried a bunch of the super slim polycarbonate cases and keep going back to my white Apple silicone case. Each time I go back to the silicone, I realize how much I really like it. I also would prefer bottom coverage but I get why Apple didn't provide it - #1 with full around coverage would be a bear to get off, #2 then you also have to design perfectly so the holes line up and to accommodate all the different accessories using the earphone hole. I could just imagine all the "bent phone" complaints trying to get the all edge coverage case off the phone. Pretty tough design specks to get a tight fitting case like this.

robotrootbeer

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2010
I have to agree - while the apple cases are pretty great - I'm a little irritated by how pricey they. For a little more you can get some high quality stuff - dock artisan / twelvesouth / etc.

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
Are the Apple cases a little more pricey - definitely. But you're getting a perfectly lined up and designed case that becomes part of the phone. I have the white silicone case and the color is exactly the same as the silver and white phone. You would think that's a given, but not so. With my white iPhone 5 it took me multiple tries to find white cases that came close. Some were too blue-white, while others too yellow looking. You also get the "no hassle" return policy for any defects for a full year.

Everyone's got their own preference but as you can see, I truly find my white Apple silicone case to best fit my needs.

Ringside

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
I too have tried several cases and whole heartily agree that the Apple case is the best. Nothing comes close to the feel and look of the Midnight Blue on my silver iP6! It's a stunning combo and I generally hate cases. Every new iP I try a bunch of cases then end up going naked with the phone. This one however is a keeper.

danny8200

macrumors 65816
Oct 27, 2014
Chicopee, MA
I've decided to also go back to the silicone Apple case. This time I bought the gray one (black). I also have the red.

I'm on the same boat that I've tried many different cases for several days and ended up returning a bunch of them and settled on the silicone.

davistld01

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2008
Springfield, MO
Gotta jump into this Apple leather case love fest too, I guess. I've been using it since I first put it on my "5"...used it on my "5s", and bought it way before the "6" even dropped because I knew it was the only case for me. I love the way it feels, and that it gets softer & more "grippy" with use. I've tried the Incase, Incipio & Otterbox Commuter cases, and nothing comes close to the overall package.

Only a few flaws...

1. Cost (you'll never find it "on sale" anywhere)
2. Any color but black shows stains almost immediately
3. Can't be used with any current total screen coverage glass screen protectors

Even so, it's the best. When the one I'm using gets beat to shreds...I'll buy another one...in black, just like the rest!:cool:

Ljohnson72

macrumors 6502a
Dec 21, 2008
Denver, Co
I'm on my second "soft pink" Apple leather case. The thing is a complete piece of garbage. The light color quickly begins to fade and peel (not patina) within a week of light usage. Going to see if Apple will exchange it for a different color or a silicon one.

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
I, also have tried a bunch of the super slim polycarbonate cases and keep going back to my white Apple silicone case. Each time I go back to the silicone, I realize how much I really like it. I also would prefer bottom coverage but I get why Apple didn't provide it - #1 with full around coverage would be a bear to get off, #2 then you also have to design perfectly so the holes line up and to accommodate all the different accessories using the earphone hole. I could just imagine all the "bent phone" complaints trying to get the all edge coverage case off the phone. Pretty tough design specks to get a tight fitting case like this.

There are loads of third party cases that fit just as well, provide better coverage and cost a lot less. The Apple leather and silicone cases aren't worth it especially at the price Apple is charging for them.

Paco II

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2009
Therein lies the problem, and genius of Apple. There are so many third party cases, and while many are good, so many are junk, but it's difficult to know. Anyone can walk into an Apple store and try on one of their cases and immediately know.

There are loads of third party cases that fit just as well, provide better coverage and cost a lot less. The Apple leather and silicone cases aren't worth it especially at the price Apple is charging for them.

Ringside

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2010
Los Angeles, CA

I have yet to see a leather case that I like better and as you said "cost a lot less." Most real leather cases are quite a bit more expensive.

davistld01

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2008
Springfield, MO
I'm on my second "soft pink" Apple leather case. The thing is a complete piece of garbage. The light color quickly begins to fade and peel (not patina) within a week of light usage. Going to see if Apple will exchange it for a different color or a silicon one.

All the soft colored (pink, cream, red & tan) Apple leather cases show marks from skin oil & dirt on the hand almost immediately, although most that have these cases call the marks "patina". The dark olive green, navy blue & black cases mask those marks making them look better longer. I'd never buy anything but black.

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire

Please point me in the right direction for a third party case the same as the Apple Silicone. I've tried a ton of third party TPU and silicone cases for my iPhone 5 as Apple didn't have one in white. I had two that I really liked but they were TPU and picked up staining in no time that wouldn't clean. Then I also had a white silicone case that was pretty good except the white didn't really match the white Apple phone and the case was loose and floppy by the bottom and it got looser as I used it. All of these I gave away on this forum. I have none of these issues with the white Apple silicone case - I've been using it for over 2 months and it still looks and fits like new.

So I've been down the third party case route over and over again - and although these cases are wicked cheap in comparison, they end up collecting dust or I give them away - so in the end really no bargain for me.

Ljohnson72

macrumors 6502a
Dec 21, 2008
Denver, Co
All the soft colored (pink, cream, red & tan) Apple leather cases show marks from skin oil & dirt on the hand almost immediately, although most that have these cases call the marks "patina". The dark olive green, navy blue & black cases mask those marks making them look better longer. I'd never buy anything but black.

Yea, it's hardly patina. It's just poor quality. :(

TheChrisBlaze

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2011
My recent pattern has been: Spigen Style Armor, Apple Silicone, Hex Wallet, Apple Leather, Ringke Slim, Apple Leather, Speck Candyshell, Apple Silicone. I'll soon reach the point where I only switch between the silicone and leather cases.

Ljohnson72

macrumors 6502a
Dec 21, 2008
Denver, Co
It's actually just the oils in your skin and the dirt you don't see on your hands. Practically any light-colored leather or dyed split-grain leather will do likewise.

Unfortunately, it's not. I own a bunch of light colored leather wallets/sleeves/bags. It's 100% not patina; it's just the color peeling. The dye/leather used is really poor quality.

See here:

N4qLR40.jpg

wPTeJMW.jpg

Last edited:

davistld01

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2008
Springfield, MO
Unfortunately, it's not. I own a bunch of light colored leather wallets/sleeves/bags. It's 100% not patina; it's just the color peeling. The dye/leather used is really poor quality.

Wow! I stand corrected...at least in your case. I have friends who have had the red and light tan cases on their 5/5s's and they have shown black stains and such almost immediately, but never have I seen a case lose the pigment like you pink one!

tsturbo

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2008

What is the obsession with covering the bottom? It won't scratch unless you are careless and stuff it in pockets with other stuff in them

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012

Same here, I've been looking for a similar leather case but with coverage for the bottom, seems impossible to find.

----------

What is the obsession with covering the bottom? It won't scratch unless you are careless and stuff it in pockets with other stuff in them

Accidents happen. With all sides covered you can relax a bit more, that's all.

BensonTT

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2012
Why didn't apple make the "black" silicon case black? I kinda like the silicon one more then the leather but the color is ugly..

Paco II

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2009
Can anyone comment if the silicone case has any more flexibility than the leather one? I am finding myself taking it off quite frequently and wondering if the silicone one is any easier to remove than the leather one.

Hec983

macrumors member
Nov 25, 2012
Can anyone comment if the silicone case has any more flexibility than the leather one? I am finding myself taking it off quite frequently and wondering if the silicone one is any easier to remove than the leather one.

Yes the silicone it's pretty easy to removed.

FieldingMellish

Suspended
Jun 20, 2010
I'm digging the Apple leather in black on my space gray plus. It's almost as though the leather is upholstered onto the phone and it a permanent part of it. Alternative leather case makers have great designs, but compared next to one another, appear so much bulkier than Apple's design.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.