Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Not sure if it's just me, but recently, when I buy apps on my iPhone, I am occasionally prompted to type in my password. This also happened once when I wanted to unlock my phone via touch-ID. The message says that my iPhone was recently restarted (though I am aware of any such occurrence). :confused:

Update: And my iPhone just spontaneously rebooted itself even though it was in sleep mode. Right on the table in front of me. Caught in the act! Guess I know why now.

Last edited:

Apple blogger

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2013
I made a topic on this but no one responded so I'll put it here too

When you are in an app like safari in landscape mode and then use multitasking to select an app like messaging, shouldn't that app have already corrected itself to be landscape too?

I'm including this pic to try and explain what I mean.
View attachment 515871

It does sometimes .. On my phone#.. But it reloads again so it changes back to normal portrait..

Morac

macrumors 68020
Dec 30, 2009
Update: And my iPhone just spontaneously rebooted itself even though it was in sleep mode. Right on the table in front of me. Caught in the act! Guess I know why now.

You might want to get it replaced, especially if you see blue screens. My 5s started rebooting periodically when I was charging it about a month after I got it. I had it replaced and never had the problem again.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
You might want to get it replaced, especially if you see blue screens. My 5s started rebooting periodically when I was charging it about a month after I got it. I had it replaced and never had the problem again.

No blue screens yet. Just the white apple logo showing on the screen.

I am not sure I can get it replaced even if I wanted to. There is no Apple Store in my country, though each Telco has their own service centre, and when I brought it for checking last month, the staff there told me that they could only send it back to Apple for servicing for battery problems. Random reboots like what I just experienced would be very hard to prove and replicate at the scene.

Thanks for the advice though, I will be sure to keep it in mind if I do see any blue screens. :D

KSRX

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2014
Kiev, Ukraine
Privacy data still in Spotlight on iOS 8.1.1

When I use spotlight for various searches, it shows email messages which I have already deleted. Although when you select them it takes you to the folder the message was originally stored in, but the message is not there.

The messages are not in any trash folder or deleted messages folder either on the iPhone (iPad) itself or on the server (using iCloud mail).

There are also a number of messages which can be read (indicated by a blue dot) - these seem to be ones that I have written or started to write, but not actually sent (could have been saved as a draft - but again nothing in the draft folders). You get taken to and can read the full email from being selected in spotlight, but is not stored anywhere in my mail folders.

I'm running the latest version of iOS 8.1.1.
Devices are fully restored (DFU) without any apps or data. No old copies are used. But when I start using devices, new deleted emails starting to appear in Spotlight search (forwarding emails are 100% saving and can be opened with text and pictures attached).
Problem persist in iOS from 2009. Turning of search for mail and sms is not the fix of such security bug.

Is there anyway to either reset the spotlight cache, or delete the cache to remove all these "deleted" emails from spotlight, without restoring each time. I have searched many forums, but to no avail. I need to buy cleaning app for PC?

Morac

macrumors 68020
Dec 30, 2009
Random reboots like what I just experienced would be very hard to prove and replicate at the scene.

It depends on what causes them. In my case there were kernel panic errors in the diagnostic screen, which is now under the Privacy settings. Without an Apple Store nearby, that might not be useful, though if you can call Apple they can run a remote diagnostic of the phone.

----------

Is there anyway to either reset the spotlight cache, or delete the cache to remove all these "deleted" emails from spotlight, without restoring each time. I have searched many forums, but to no avail. I need to buy cleaning app for PC?

My understanding of spotlight search is that it periodically goes through all your data and caches it so searches can be done in real time. I don't know how often it does so, but the deleted emails should be removed within a day or two I would think.

Morac

macrumors 68020
Dec 30, 2009
My iPhone 5s running 8.1.1 is playing the wrong email notification most of the time. I have different email notification sounds for my personal account, work account and VIP account and many times the wrong sound plays.

It plays the notification sound based on the previously received email and not the current one. For example if the last email I received was to my work email address and I then receive an email on my personal email from a VIP contact, it plays my work email notification sound.

Edit: Rebooted my iphone and it's working correctly again, but this problem crops up periodically.

Last edited:

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
When adjusting the volume whilst watching something a big square appears right in the middle of the screen blocking the view.

/s

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
still got the youtube bug. watch a vid. hit home button to go else where. lock iPhone, come back to iPhone hour later, wake iPhone up, lock screen is un-viewable and totally useless due to youtube controls showing. Like wtf :mad::mad::mad::mad:

b-team iOS players have taken over the factory :(

xealo

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2014
Several of my stored contacts have quit displaying their name in the "Recents" section and "Messages". Instead they show the phone number as if they aren't stored. It's the weirdest thing. Some show a phone number while other's show the name as they are supposed to. I wasn't sure where exactly to post this as I don't know if this an iPhone 6 Plus issue or iOS 8. I currently have the the most recent iOS update. Maybe someone else can chime in? Thanks.

Last edited:

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
How come nobody tests this stuff? Are there any iOS engineers at Cupertino? Do the execs use Android phones?? At launch, Tim Cook said that he'd owned an iPhone 6 and 6+ "for months" - did he not use them?? I've found a TON of bugs in iOS8 after owning my 6+ for 72 hours.

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
not all photos taken on iphone 6 are uploading to photo stream. Im not using photo stream beta. macbook air viewing photo stream.

Captmike001

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2014
Unhappy !! On my Ipad 2.

Now with new and " improved" ios8.1.1,
my emails load okay but take quite a bit longer to display.
Is this a plot to get me to spring for a newer version? I think not!!

I sometimes get some sort of magnifier which I don't need, thank God. It compresses the display making it hard to read

On FaceBook, when I 'comment' on another's post, I have to scroll down to the comment box in order to edit my comment; Because part way through every comment my cursor jumps to the front end, often mid-word and suddenly I'm about to post gobbledegook!
On FaceBook, I also have difficulty getting the edit function to respond. If I do wish to, it often takes several attempts, as in 4, 5, 6 or more to finally be allowed to begin editting my comment.
Sometimes it's just easier to give up 'edit' and post a correction.

Almost forgot to add, the bookmark/reading list function is balky. It seems to require several pokes of the appropriate button to generate the desired effect!

Last edited:

pdawg

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2008
Charlotte, NC
New iphone 6 setup did NOT restore correctly the first time, only partially restored. Then the upgrade to 8.1.1 completely wiped out the few photos that had been restored from icloud.

Had to completely wipe the phone and do another restore before phone was back to perfect shape. This happened with 2 of my phones.

No issues with the ipad Air 2 setup.

RebornProphet

Suspended
Nov 3, 2013
Scott Forstall, like him of hate him, was sacked for less.

iOS 8 has been a clusterf**k of bugs and errors.

Just what are Federighi and Ive doing when undertaking this so-called "amazing collaboration". The software is a joke.

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
Theres no Alarm Clock volume (separate/setting/option)

If you set your volume higher for another usage scenario then your alarm is full blast. Not something I enjoy.

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
when you haven't played a podcast for a while it stops refreshing. Even if you have it in My Stations. You have to go into My Podcasts, into the podcast and tap the resume button. Surely because I have it in My Stations when I refresh from there it should reload the new ones.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
Message Freezing

Running into this daily since the 8.1.2 upgrade.
I will be replying to or viewing various message threads when it will lock the message thread I am in. I can exit most of them back to the "Messages" screen but the symptom will not go away until I kill the app from the task bar. This seems to happen more frequently for threads that have pictures and occurs whether I have iMessage on or off.

Device is iPhone 6Plus 64GB on AT&T

Last edited:

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
Hi,

Been having issues all weekend with my 128Gb iPhone 6. I download 40Gb of music with itunes match. I sat on the plane for a short flight, put it in Airplane mode and bang ...I actually have 34 songs, it just scrolled through all the ones i had downloaded and after it had failed to play them removed them from the phone !!!

This has now happened to me several times. I would download an entire playlist and it would work fine for some time. Then randomly one day it just scrolls through all the songs and they now show to no longer be on the device.

Also, at one point all of my music showed up 3x....2 of which were missing album art and seemed incomplete.

In my experience, iTunes Match has been completely borked since the release of iOS 8. Before 8.1.1 I couldn't even get most of the song downloads to complete.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
How come nobody tests this stuff? Are there any iOS engineers at Cupertino? Do the execs use Android phones?? At launch, Tim Cook said that he'd owned an iPhone 6 and 6+ "for months" - did he not use them?? I've found a TON of bugs in iOS8 after owning my 6+ for 72 hours.

The catch: Tim's iDevices are custom 'retro' iOS 7.1 fitted :D

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
I've been noticing some things:

Several crashes in iTunes with 8.1.2 (same as 8.1.1.)

with 8.1.1 and 8.1.2 I've had to factory restore my phone in order for Yahoo mail to push new mail to me several times. After the restore, Yahoo still will not load folders full of mail whether I am on WiFi, Celluar or Lite. Yesterday was the most recent time I had do a complete erase because the home / power button reboot did nothing.

Also the SD movies purchased in iTunes sound very low on half volume.

If the crashes and email business keep happening, I am taking this phone to a genius. :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.