Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suspended
Mar 23, 2006
England
I've been researching buying a new car for the past couple of months. I've not seen a single manufacturer mention Car Play in any of their literature and I've covered all the major car brands. I was hoping this would be an option on a number of cars by now but I don't see anything on the horizon.

I also don't see how the retro fit market is going to work. All of the cars I've seen have a built in entertainment system which can't be removed.

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
To me as a consumer that I see a lot of new cars that are out out of date one year after purchase. The infotech seems to be bought as is. My hope is things like Car Play will extend the the infotainment system beyond the first year.

prowlmedia

Suspended
Jan 26, 2010
London
I've been researching buying a new car for the past couple of months. I've not seen a single manufacturer mention Car Play in any of their literature and I've covered all the major car brands. I was hoping this would be an option on a number of cars by now but I don't see anything on the horizon.

I also don't see how the retro fit market is going to work. All of the cars I've seen have a built in entertainment system which can't be removed.

If you see my links above.. all those car manufacturers have allowed carplay and / or android auto to run/link to their car systems... but they will all have to be running QNX - so presumably that is the issue they need to have a solid platform in QNX before releasing it into the wild. The good thing here is that Almost all the major manufacturers have selected QNX as their OS ( tesla aside - but that is understandable perhaps ) so there is the possibility of upgrades in the future. I know Jag / Land Rover will have it 2015 cars anyway and I expect it'll be a deluge after that....

mknoebel

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2011
CO
As a 2015 Sonata owner I really hope they make an update for 2015 models. Despite the earlier announcement, it's still not clear from this if they'll update.

I'm also wondering if they will update 2015 models (Genesis Coupe). Will keep an eye on this thread.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.