Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JulesJam

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 20, 2014
Ok guys, this time I will stay on topic!!!! Since the thread title is Verizon iPhones on UDPs and/or AOLs that shouldn't be hard, eh?

So everything worked out for me in the end except one of the iPhones that I kept has a dead pixel!!!!! I didn't notice it until I went to put on a screen protector.

I am still within the holiday return period on the device. Here is the deal though. Obviously I got the phone when I added a new UDP line. I aborted the activation of the iP6 by activating an iP5s on the line using a different SIM card. Then I changed the number on the line and AOL'ed the line to a relative. Then my relative AOLed the line to another person with a PDI or the other person's phone on the line and the person who received the line then changed the number again to a local number where he lived.

I didn't activate the iP6 until almost a month after I purchased it and the purchase date shows as the activation date in Apple's records.

I want to exchange for a new device, but wondering how that would work in Apple's system. There is no way to cancel the UDP line as the phone number has now been changed twice and the line has been AOLed twice.

Also since the purchase date is the activation date in Apple's system, the receipt won't match up in terms of dates although it will match up in terms of the Serial Number. I bought AppleCare+ on the device and again, the date of that is the activation date of the device, not the purchase date.

What to do?

Last edited:

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Ok guys, this time I will stay on topic!!!! Since the thread title is Verizon iPhones on UDPs and/or AOLs that shouldn't be hard, eh?

I want to exchange for a new device, but wondering how that would work in Apple's system. There is no way to cancel the UDP line as the phone number has now been changed twice and the line has been AOLed twice.

What to do?

I haven't replaced a subsidized phone from Apple but have replaced unsubsidized phones and iPads in the past, either under warranty or from damage. I suggest making a Genius Bar appointment. If it's considered a warranty item they may just give you a replacement device rather than process it as a return and repurchase. With MacBooks I believe they have a threshold of 3 dead pixels, but with phones I believe it is 1. Kick up a fuss and they are likely to replace it if they don't replace it after you ask nicely.

The warranty will be based on the purchase date. I wouldn't worry about the discrepancy since Apple bases everything from the serial number in its database.

Apple's official policy is vague, but they recommend taking it in.
http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202025

It sounds like others have not had issues getting replacements. https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1792178/

JulesJam

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 20, 2014
I haven't replaced a subsidized phone from Apple but have replaced unsubsidized phones and iPads in the past, either under warranty or from damage. I suggest making a Genius Bar appointment.
Yeah, that is the plan.

If it's considered a warranty item they may just give you a replacement device rather than process it as a return and repurchase.
So is the only option a return and repurchase or a replacement device?

The warranty will be based on the purchase date. I wouldn't worry about the discrepancy since Apple bases everything from the serial number in its database.

Apple's official policy is vague, but they recommend taking it in.
http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202025

It sounds like others have not had issues getting replacements. https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1792178/
Thanks! Do you know if they will just do an exchange for a new device or do they only do replacements and return/repurchase?

dsquared81

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2010
Orange County
I can only speak about an exchange at the Apple Store. Some background: I aoled a line and added other upd plans/subsidized phones for some family.

My sister wanted to exchange her 6 for a different color. This was no problem at all since it was within the 14 day return period. As the apple employee was going through the motions on their devices he essentially had to return the phone then buy the new color back. Going through the steps of buying a new color he had to resubmit the plan details on his device. There was no udp plan option so I had him cancel the whole thing. I saw his device with my own eyes and verified no udp option existed. I asked if this was the only way to process the exchange and he said yes. Not sure how true that was... But he was very surprised I had udp and agreed that I shouldn't complete the exchange so that I wouldn't lose it.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Yeah, that is the plan.

So is the only option a return and repurchase or a replacement device?

Thanks! Do you know if they will just do an exchange for a new device or do they only do replacements and return/repurchase?

I can only speak about an exchange at the Apple Store. Some background: I aoled a line and added other upd plans/subsidized phones for some family.

There was no udp plan option so I had him cancel the whole thing. I saw his device with my own eyes and verified no udp option existed. I asked if this was the only way to process the exchange and he said yes. Not sure how true that was... But he was very surprised I had udp and agreed that I shouldn't complete the exchange so that I wouldn't lose it.

I think others reported this experience in the weeks after the "glitch" closed.

If Apple will process it as a warranty item, they'll take an iPhone out of their replacement stock and just give it you you after ensuring that it is on the Verizon whitelist. At this point it is still likely to be a new unit (or maybe one that was "refurbished" from an early change-of-mind return). They must be the same color and capacity as what was turned in.

Normally, the return period matches the 14 day return-and-cancel period with the carrier, hence the reason they process exchanges of subsidized devices and repurchases.

JulesJam

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 20, 2014

My sister wanted to exchange her 6 for a different color. This was no problem at all since it was within the 14 day return period. As the apple employee was going through the motions on their devices he essentially had to return the phone then buy the new color back. Going through the steps of buying a new color he had to resubmit the plan details on his device. There was no udp plan option so I had him cancel the whole thing. I saw his device with my own eyes and verified no udp option existed. I asked if this was the only way to process the exchange and he said yes. Not sure how true that was... But he was very surprised I had udp and agreed that I shouldn't complete the exchange so that I wouldn't lose it.
OK, that is what I thought. Thanks so much for letting me know.

The issue for me though is that I don't have the line anymore, lol! So I guess they would try to get me to add a tiered data plan line, which of course I wouldn't want.

----------

Normally, the return period matches the 14 day return-and-cancel period with the carrier, hence the reason they process exchanges of subsidized devices and repurchases.
That's a good point as they can't cancel the line now since it is outside of the 14 day return period.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
OK, that is what I thought. Thanks so much for letting me know.

The issue for me though is that I don't have the line anymore, lol! So I guess they would try to get me to add a tiered data plan line, which of course I wouldn't want.

Depending on where the pixel is, they may replace it. If it's smack dab in the center, they are more likely to replace it.

I wonder, though, since the phone is no longer associated with the same line that it was sold with, whether Apple could process it as an "unsubsidized" return and sale. After all, you can't consent to the line being "canceled" and re-established, since it isn't your line anymore. It may be worth a shot. I'm guessing this was a very rare issue in the past (how many people would really AOL a line without the phone and then return the phone within 14 days?), and so they may never have established an official policy on it. Most of the "glitch" iPhones were re-sold on third-party markets or are past the return period so yours may still be a rare case.

JulesJam

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 20, 2014
I wonder, though, since the phone is no longer associated with the same line that it was sold with, whether Apple could process it as an "unsubsidized" return and sale. After all, you can't consent to the line being "canceled" and re-established, since it isn't your line anymore. It may be worth a shot.
Yeah, I will bring that point up. But more importantly, the phone number of the original line has been disconnected. I disconnected it and put a new number on the line. When I call it I get the message that the MTN is not in service.

And the number has been AOL'ed not once but twice, lol!

I'm guessing this was a very rare issue in the past (how many people would really AOL a line without the phone and then return the phone within 14 days?), and so they may never have established an official policy on it. Most of the "glitch" iPhones were re-sold on third-party markets or are past the return period so yours may still be a rare case.
There is a holiday return period in effect for any phones bought from 11/1/14 through 12/25/14 - they are returnable until 1/8/14. This phone was not only purchased during the holiday return period, it was activated almost 30 days later and is in the Apple system as being purchased on the date of activation.

None of us have any idea where most of the glitch phones were sold. Most of mine were sold for use in the US. Lots of people sold phones on craig's list to people who will be using them in the US or they kept the phones. I kept 1/3 of the phones I bought for use on Verizon. Swappa phones tend to stay in the US too. Ebay is where you see the international sales but even then a lot of those phones stay in the US.

I am not worried about them replacing it or not, they will. I just would like a new phone.

Last edited:

didiee

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2007
Neighborhood
Yeah, I will bring that point up. But more importantly, the phone number of the original line has been disconnected. I disconnected it and put a new number on the line. When I call it I get the message that the MTN is not in service.

And the number has been AOL'ed not once but twice, lol!

There is a holiday return period in effect for any phones bought from 11/1/14 through 12/25/14 - they are returnable until 1/8/14. This phone was not only purchased during the holiday return period, it was activated almost 30 days later and is in the Apple system as being purchased on the date of activation.

None of us have any idea where most of the glitch phones were sold. Most of mine were sold for use in the US. Lots of people sold phones on craig's list to people who will be using them in the US or they kept the phones. I kept 1/3 of the phones I bought for use on Verizon. Swappa phones tend to stay in the US too. Ebay is where you see the international sales but even then a lot of those phones stay in the US.

I am not worried about them replacing it or not, they will. I just would like a new phone.

Good luck. As always, if it's bought with credit card check your terms, you maybe able to get something with your coverage. The problem with that is, they will only compensate up to your purchasing price, which is a price that's subsidized by Verizon.

Make a fuss at Genius Bar. I hope you get a nice person.

JulesJam

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 20, 2014
Good luck. As always, if it's bought with credit card check your terms, you maybe able to get something with your coverage. The problem with that is, they will only compensate up to your purchasing price, which is a price that's subsidized by Verizon.

Make a fuss at Genius Bar. I hope you get a nice person.
I won't need to make a fuss. They will replace it.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Another on-topic question. Are there any unadvertised features that can be added to the Nationwide 450 plan? For example, on the legacy AT&T Nation 450 you could add features like unlimited any carrier M2M or early nights and weekends. Looking at the website these don't show up as options, but neither does the 30 minute plan.

----------

I won't need to make a fuss. They will replace it.

So did they?

JulesJam

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 20, 2014
So did they?
I had to cancel my Genius Bar appointment and remade one for tomorrow. I need to run that dead spotter app, thanks for reminding me!

----------

Another on-topic question. Are there any unadvertised features that can be added to the Nationwide 450 plan? For example, on the legacy AT&T Nation 450 you could add features like unlimited any carrier M2M or early nights and weekends. Looking at the website these don't show up as options
The only way to get unlimited any carrier M2M minutes is to have an Any Mobile Talk & Text plan like I have. And there is no such thing as early nights and weekends or roll over minutes on Verizon.

but neither does the 30 minute plan.
The 30 minute plan is a loyalty plan. All loyalty plans are unadvertised and you have to specifically ask for them.

JulesJam

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 20, 2014
So did they?
I downloaded the Dead Spotter app and took screen shots and the dead pixel doesn't show up in the screen shots so I think it is just a piece of dust under the film. I am going to remove the film and apply a screen protector and see if it is still there. So I canceled my genius bar appt.

keitarou

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2012
Anyone of you do an AOL recently with Verizon and UDP? Any success? Trying to get an idea of success rate and if it's worth selling my last plan.

didiee

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2007
Neighborhood
Anyone of you do an AOL recently with Verizon and UDP? Any success? Trying to get an idea of success rate and if it's worth selling my last plan.

how recent?
It is still doable after the last deadline. Depends on the CSR and/or need for some social engineering. At end of the day it's just how much time spent will be worth it for you? The price on ebay isnt great, but not terrible.....

Has been suggested if you transfer to one of your account manager, it's a little easier. If you gave to one of your relatives it may be easier. Keep on calling until someone who will do it, be persistent.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
I downloaded the Dead Spotter app and took screen shots and the dead pixel doesn't show up in the screen shots so I think it is just a piece of dust under the film. I am going to remove the film and apply a screen protector and see if it is still there. So I canceled my genius bar appt.

All of this and it is a piece of dirt under your screen protector?:rolleyes:

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
All of this and it is a piece of dirt under your screen protector?:rolleyes:

Apple's web site claims that some pixel issues are caused by dust specs under the glass and can be fixed in the store. That might be limited to the older models that had the air gap, though.

JulesJam

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 20, 2014
All of this and it is a piece of dirt under your screen protector?
It's not under the screen protector - it looks to be under the film that came on the phone. Still haven't taken it off yet to confirm but will be doing that soon.

----------

Apple's web site claims that some pixel issues are caused by dust specs under the glass and can be fixed in the store. That might be limited to the older models that had the air gap, though.
Gtk. I will be taking the film off soon to check.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
It's not under the screen protector - it looks to be under the film that came on the phone. Still haven't taken it off yet to confirm but will be doing that soon.

----------

Gtk. I will be taking the film off soon to check.

Come back when you have had the "nerve" to remove the plastic wrapper on your phone.

JulesJam

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 20, 2014
Come back when you have had the "nerve" to remove the plastic wrapper on your phone.
It's a Christmas present, lol!

As for my phone, I am an android user.

----------

From the older thread, I think it was intended as a gift for someone else.
Yes, thanks.

----------

Hey UDP for Life peeps! My friend has a UDP line that she won't be needing if she can do the BB Method to upgrade her UDP line. She got herself an extra UDP line in case when it came time for her to upgrade, the BB Method no longer worked. Her upgrade date is soon, I think in February sometime. If she can do the BB Method she will be AOLing me the added UDP line and I will report back to let all know how it goes.

I want to turn it into a $45/mo UDP MHS plan so I will report back on how that goes, too.

Last edited by a moderator:

didiee

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2007
Neighborhood
Hey UDP for Life peeps! My friend has a UDP line that she won't be needing if she can do the BB Method to upgrade her UDP line. She got herself an extra UDP line in case when it came time for her to upgrade, the BB Method no longer worked. Her upgrade date is soon, I think in February sometime. If she can do the BB Method she will be AOLing me the added UDP line and I will report back to let all know how it goes.

I want to turn it into a $45/mo UDP MHS plan so I will report back on how that goes, too.

Sounds ambitious! When are you going to try this, before Feb. I hope? Good Luck! Happy Holidays...

JulesJam

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 20, 2014
Sounds ambitious! When are you going to try this, before Feb. I hope? Good Luck! Happy Holidays...
No, she will wait to upgrade in case the BB Method glitch closes on her. So sometime in February.

Happy Holidays to you, too!!!

didiee

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2007
Neighborhood
wow, did they really killed the momentum of this thread?
Just FYI there is someone selling AOL instructions. Anyone can shine some light on what is the "trick" that will make AOL smoother? Check it out on ebay..... $15 for instructions. I guess there are people who will sell/buy anything.....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.