Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hkoster1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 29, 2012
The Netherlands
I shouldn't have stopped by that Apple reseller, and I should have stayed away from that comparison table with a regular 27-inch iMac and a 5K Retina one. Wow, wow again, what was I thinking trying to make that Dell UP2414Q 4K monitor work with the nMP, and wondering whether that new 27-inch 5K screen from Dell might connect to the nMP with two miniDisplay cables...

The Apple 27-inch Retina 5K future is already here, and (sadly) it's not the nMP. I sold my QC/32/256/D300 nMP + UP2414Q within a day and am now awaiting delivery of my Retina 5K iMac. It was nice knowing the nMP and following the interesting threads here, but I'm headed for the best consumer screen now, period. That's important for me, as I work mainly with text.

Take care.

Michaelgtrusa

macrumors 604
Oct 13, 2008
I shouldn't have stopped by that Apple reseller, and I should have stayed away from that comparison table with a regular 27-inch iMac and a 5K Retina one. Wow, wow again, what was I thinking trying to make that Dell UP2414Q 4K monitor work with the nMP, and wondering whether that new 27-inch 5K screen from Dell might connect to the nMP with two miniDisplay cables...

The Apple 27-inch Retina 5K future is already here, and (sadly) it's not the nMP. I sold my QC/32/256/D300 nMP + UP2414Q within a day and am now awaiting delivery of my Retina 5K iMac. It was nice knowing the nMP and following the interesting threads here, but I'm headed for the best consumer screen now, period. That's important for me, as I work mainly with text.

Take care.

I understand and wish you the best. Not the choice I would have made. :)

Nugget

Contributor
Nov 24, 2002
Tejas Hill Country
Yeah, I've got the 5K iMac at work and a nMP at home. It's such a tremendous screen, if the 5K iMac had existed when I bought my nMP I'd have probably gone that route instead. I'm just hoping the Dell or HP 5K options pan out for OS X.

Riwam

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2014
Basel, Switzerland

Take care.

---------
I suppose that if money is not a problem and losing it therefore not something to worry about, selling a nMP is not very difficult. Many people will buy one at a much lower price than the regular one.
Then, if some day you find a 5K display which works fine with the nMP you can always buy a new nMP. :D

sigmadog

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2009
just west of Idaho
I sold my QC/32/256/D300 nMP + UP2414Q within a day and am now awaiting delivery of my Retina 5K iMac. It was nice knowing the nMP and following the interesting threads here, but I'm headed for the best consumer screen now, period. That's important for me, as I work mainly with text.

Congratulations!

I can't help but ask:

1. If you work "mainly with text" why did you buy a nMP in the first place?
  2. How does a 5K screen help you work with text?

I am not in any way attempting to be combative; I just can't reconcile in my mind how working mainly with text puts one in the market for a dual gpu computer and/or a huge monitor ("huge" as in pixel density).

Last edited:

mintakax

macrumors regular
Dec 19, 2013
My wife has a 5K IMac and I have a nMP with a UHD display. I wouldn't trade her even if her's was faster ( which it isn't ). Besides doing a lot of scientific processing, I edit and view a lot of UHD video. Hands down, I prefer the UHD display over the 5K for editing/ viewing.
Maybe for general use ( or photography ?), I could understand the appeal of a 5K screen.
It's nice that we have the choices to get what works best for us, eh ?

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA

Take care.

Yet another person has fallen for the 5K :D

Completely understandable. I would struggle with any lower-res display, even one with a nMP.

Korican100

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2012
Obviously you made a mistake going with a nMP, as you did not need the power it can provide.

5k screens are a beauty though, it will definitely help you with your text.

I'd just like to add also, given the context of your post, that it seems you are either unsure about your decision, or looking for people to co-sign with your thought process.

Nugget

Contributor
Nov 24, 2002
Tejas Hill Country
How does a 5K screen help you work with text?

5K screen lets me run a smaller font size while remaining readable, so I can have more text windows on screen, or text windows with broader scope. I'm in love with my 5K iMac at work and 99% of my work is done inside Terminal and MacVim. As soon as I can plug a 5K display into my nMP at home I will.

sigmadog

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2009
just west of Idaho
5K screen lets me run a smaller font size while remaining readable, so I can have more text windows on screen, or text windows with broader scope. I'm in love with my 5K iMac at work and 99% of my work is done inside Terminal and MacVim. As soon as I can plug a 5K display into my nMP at home I will.

Okay. That makes sense.

I get freaked out if I'm looking at too much text on a screen. It's too confusing. If I were just working with text, I'd feel more at home with a MacBook Air, or even the iPad I'm using right now.

Personal preferences, I suppose.

Michaelgtrusa

macrumors 604
Oct 13, 2008
My wife has a 5K IMac and I have a nMP with a UHD display. I wouldn't trade her even if her's was faster ( which it isn't ). Besides doing a lot of scientific processing, I edit and view a lot of UHD video. Hands down, I prefer the UHD display over the 5K for editing/ viewing.
Maybe for general use ( or photography ?), I could understand the appeal of a 5K screen.
It's nice that we have the choices to get what works best for us, eh ?

A well know Youtube tech reviewer sold his 8 core nMP for a 5K iMac. I would never again buy a iMac as a daily driver.

MMcCraryNJ

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2012
I was somewhat interested in the Retina iMac, until I started reading about all of the heat/noise issues with the i7/295 combo. That turned me off right away. Still awaiting delivery of my 6c nMP, but in the interim I picked up an LG 34UM95-P to use with my MBP and, my god. I've seen the Retina iMac in person, and I still wouldn't trade this monitor for that screen (as gorgeous as it was). 21:9 is just too much fun

antonis

macrumors 68020
Jun 10, 2011
Owing an iMac in the past, always made me nervous because of having the computer and the display binded together. However, I read very good impressions by everyone concerning the 5k iMac's screen so it might worth it.

Enjoy your new computer. Having fun with it is an important factor, even for a professional work.

Riwam

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2014
Basel, Switzerland
Owing an iMac in the past, always made me nervous because of having the computer and the display binded together. However, I read very good impressions by everyone concerning the 5k iMac's screen so it might worth it.

Enjoy your new computer. Having fun with it is an important factor, even for a professional work.

I agree that a all-in-one would make me nervous as well.
If the monitor part has a problem or if the computer components have one, the owner must send for repair even those parts perfectly all right.
At the time of the old Macs with a small screen, it was a small parcel to ship.
Present days iMacs are huge and have a complicated shape.
I feel safer with a computer alone and a display alone, but of course it is just my opinion.

fuchsdh

macrumors 68020
Jun 19, 2014
Along the same lines, the guy who started the "We Want a New Mac Pro" Facebook group that got a lot of traction ended up buying a riMac instead: http://www.thepromacblog.com/i-bought-the-5k-imac/

His point was a good one: for people who were going to have to migrate internal storage or cards to external for the nMP, it's cheaper to get those peripherals and buy a faster iMac, and get a sweet screen in the bargain. The advantages the Mac Pro has in hardware are blunted if you're a user of Adobe CC. So for him it wasn't worth the extra cost.

Definitely will be watching him and others who have purchased iMacs for more demanding jobs to see how they fare. I know I've tried render jobs on the much faster 2012 iMacs at work versus my Mac Pro and if the render is a long one, they'll stall and throttle performance fairly quickly.

SuperMatt

Suspended
Mar 28, 2002
With a Mac Pro, you can get any screen you want. Sure, the 5K iMac looks great, but there are some very nice 4K screens out there already too. Plus, I think it's a fair bet that we see a "Retina" Thunderbolt Display soon.

ilikewhey

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2014
nyc upper east
both AIO and standalone have its purpose. if you're tight on space and no complicated processes are needed and you don't care if the pc overheats the screen or vice versa, and you are not tech savvy. then yes go with a imac format :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.