Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Right, but you did not get 22 hours of actual usage or screen on time. The usage stat is a strange thing.

Comparing the usage stat with percentage battery used is where people often fall short of understanding statistics. Sometimes, not always, the numbers need to be considered mutually exclusive. I can easily spend 3-6 hours playing music and it will be in the low single digits in percentage used. I can watch a single hour of Netflix and it will be easily in the double digits. Trying to then compare the numbers with usage time is useless. We would need a third statistic, which is app usage time, in order to make true sense of what these numbers really are.

IMO the updated stats aren;t much better than old ones. We can tell if a rogue app is blasting our batteries, but that's about it.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
Comparing the usage stat with percentage battery used is where people often fall short of understanding statistics. Sometimes, not always, the numbers need to be considered mutually exclusive. I can easily spend 3-6 hours playing music and it will be in the low single digits in percentage used. I can watch a single hour of Netflix and it will be easily in the double digits. Trying to then compare the numbers with usage time is useless. We would need a third statistic, which is app usage time, in order to make true sense of what these numbers really are.

IMO the updated stats aren;t much better than old ones. We can tell if a rogue app is blasting our batteries, but that's about it.

Agreed. I dislike the way the new stats are 'per 24 hours' and not since the last full charge, which would be much more relevant.

aphexacid

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2007
Chicago
Yes that's normal usage especially with LTE. People with 12hrs don't use their phone, or are on wifi the whole time. 7-9hr usage is about the average. Location services are definitely a huge drain too. If you want to go 12+, stay on wifi, do messages, browse safari as much as you want, nothing else, and you should get there easy. You can also "condition" your battery once by going to 0 then back to 100% without interruption. Helps a bit as well.

This is about right. I get a pretty consistent 8 hours of "usage". I have my brightness set to right underneath the middle of the moon in action center. So whatever that is, 75-80%. I know i can probably get better batter if i turn on auto brightness or just lower it, but what the hell for. Its got a big beautiful screen and i want to be able to use it fully without dimming it.

Darrensk8

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2010
This is about right. I get a pretty consistent 8 hours of "usage". I have my brightness set to right underneath the middle of the moon in action center. So whatever that is, 75-80%. I know i can probably get better batter if i turn on auto brightness or just lower it, but what the hell for. Its got a big beautiful screen and i want to be able to use it fully without dimming it.

Wow that's amazing! My brightness is set to just under 50% (just off the middle of Bluetooth in action center) I usually get 7 hours like this...I'd prefer more but it's better than the 5s...if I could make it that long on your brightness setting I'd be extatic! :eek:

daijholt

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2013
Wales, UK
I got my 6 Plus yesterday, and I thought the battery was supposed to last close to 10 hours. All I've been doing is downloading apps, browsing safari, using Spotify and texting. Does this look right?

Firstly, iOS takes a few days to calibrate to the battery and your usage habits.
Secondly, iOS will download a variety of things in the background once set up like HQ Siri, and obviously saps battery when downloading your regular apps.

Once all that is done it'll level out and last an age. The usage you show is about what I get out of my regular 6 now, but it was far less in the first few days of its life.

Also, run the battery right down until the device switches itself off, then charge it to full in one sitting. It helps calibrate the software to the battery capacity.

Appl3FTW

macrumors 603
Nov 15, 2012
Like this? :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    260.8 KB · Views: 76

aphexacid

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2007
Chicago
Wow that's amazing! My brightness is set to just under 50% (just off the middle of Bluetooth in action center) I usually get 7 hours like this...I'd prefer more but it's better than the 5s...if I could make it that long on your brightness setting I'd be extatic! :eek:

It may have to do with other settings you have enabled that i don't. I don't use push notifications for anything at all. I also turn off background app refresh.

iososx

macrumors 6502a
Aug 23, 2014
USA
My battery life has been decent considering Apple didn't leave much room for one. I'd be thrilled if the phone was 2mm thicker with a terrific battery. But that involves more common sense than Apple will admit :)

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
Lots of variables with battery life.

1. Signal
  2. Are you on WiFi?
  3. Screen brightness
  4. Size of iCloud sync the first couple of days
  5. How many background services you got running, especially social media and dropbox
  6. Do you game or watch lots of video?

fel10

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 2, 2010
Woodstock, GA USA
Lots of variables with battery life.

1. Signal
  2. Are you on WiFi?
  3. Screen brightness
  4. Size of iCloud sync the first couple of days
  5. How many background services you got running, especially social media and dropbox
  6. Do you game or watch lots of video?

Yes I'm in Wi Fi
Screen brightness is set to 50%
What do u mean by size of iCloud sync?
I hardly close any apps so Tinder, Facebook, and other social apps are usually running in the background
Yes I do game and use YouTube a lot.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
Yes I'm in Wi Fi
Screen brightness is set to 50%
What do u mean by size of iCloud sync?
I hardly close any apps so Tinder, Facebook, and other social apps are usually running in the background
Yes I do game and use YouTube a lot.

When you first fire up a new iPhone it takes awhile to sync up all the icloud. It's doing so quietly in the background, but it's devouring battery life.

Once it is done, battery life tends to improve.

And video is always a great killer of battery life.

thalazy

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2012
In a van down by the river.
My battery

drained like crazy yesterday when I was using my exchanged iphone 6+. I hadn't tweaked it yet, was importing all of my content and since I got a bigger storage size quite a few new apps. I am tweaking my phone today, monitoring what I allow to run in the background. I normally got around 10 hours with my 64gb with heavy web usage and light gaming. Should be the same with this one as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.