Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

madrag

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2007
Rhiannon Giddens: what a voice!!

I liked the ad, although I didn't like the finished music.

As for this new video, it was a bit disappointing, as (for me) it seemed more like an advertising to Third Man Records's voice-o-graph (and Third Man Records mainly).

I was expecting a true behind-the-scenes, showing how the video/ad and the song was produced, etc.

Windlasher

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2011
minneapolis
Thanks for the defense. Before responding, I pretty much always check a person's history of posts to assess their age, technical knowledge and how they tend to operate on the forums (trolling, non-Apple user just starting arguments, etc.). Then I decide whether I want to engage with them.

I like you - Common sense is so rare these days and I admit I am guilty of falling prey to those bad souls by not checking in advance - I Doff my hat to you.

mr.steevo

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2004
in canada, if i want an iphone, i would have to go on a 'max' plan contract - $85/month for a 1gb plan. Plus the $300-$400 upfront.

in contrast, for a high end android - HTC One M8, S5, I don't have to go on that 'max' plan' and can instead go for a more reasonable plan of around $75/month for a 2gb. With a lower up front cost to boot - $250-$300.

you might say, what about the older 5s? still, same $85/month 'max contract', just a lower up front cost.

Just buy the phone outright with no contract from Apple. It's cheaper.

And:
I prefer Misunderstood to this year's christmas ad.

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
Oh. OK then. Next time I sing a copywrited song for my grandma and put it on my iPad I'll just run it by past my Law Firm who can work out the deal with the Label. Do you think a should work out a deal to pay extra so I can post it to YouTube? Or just let it get taken down by Google and hope I don't get sued?

You might think I'm joking. I am not. The Labels, and the Law, take this sort of thing Very Seriously.

1st off, covering songs and posting original recordings are two very different things. You are very much allowed to cover any song and put it on YouTube, and in most cases, even with adverts.
As I stated, Apple obviously already talks to labels. That's how they get music on iTunes, so don't you think they cleared this with the rights owners before they made the ad? Assuming they have done so, and let's be real, of course they have, there's nothing illegal about this.

----------

Just buy the phone outright with no contract from Apple. It's cheaper.

And:
I prefer Misunderstood to this year's christmas ad.

Whilst it's probably different everywhere, I got my iPhone 6 about $200 cheaper on contract. $73 a month for 12 months. Apple's asking price in Denmark = just about $1k

iolinux333

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2014
FYI the song is "Our Love is Here to Stay" by George & Ira Gershwin.
Written in 1938, it's a classic song and has also become a jazz standard.

Exactly.

http://www.unhappybirthday.com/

Just be sure, if you want to do what the chick in the Apple commercial does, that you have your lawyer run the concept past the rights holder, and pay to secure any necessary agreements, as necessary.

You may not like that this is the world we live in, but it is. People standing around ignoring that this kind of BS is going on, or worse, denying, or even agreeing with it, is why everything is so messed up now.

GeneralChang

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2013
That's a very nice commercial. Uses pathos to elicit good feelings toward the company and products without being overdramatic or putting anybody down. Understated, but effective. I like it.

GeneralChang

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2013
Oh. OK then. Next time I sing a copywrited song for my grandma and put it on my iPad I'll just run it by past my Law Firm who can work out the deal with the Label. Do you think a should work out a deal to pay extra so I can post it to YouTube? Or just let it get taken down by Google and hope I don't get sued?

You might think I'm joking. I am not. The Labels, and the Law, take this sort of thing Very Seriously.

Is THAT why all those people doing unofficial covers of songs on YouTube are constantly getting arrested and fined exorbitant amounts of money?

Oh, wait, that's not happening. In fact, I'm pretty sure that as long as the younger girl credits the copyright holder and doesn't profit from the distribution of the song (letting her grandmother listen to it), she's fine.

If it'd been a mix, I believe that would be different.

GeneralChang

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2013
yeah i dont believe you haha. i have a nexus 5 and a 2013 nexus 7 and they're both super smooth and seamless, sure, there are areas where lollipop aren't consistent, especially on the tablet, but so was/is iOS 8. there are odd bugs here and there, but that is also present on ios.

in short, android is no longer a 'problem'

Well... that depends on where you're looking. I agree that the user interface isn't terrible anymore, and the whole user experience seems to improving just as rapidly.

But who was it that described the Android/malware ecosystem as "a toxic hellstew of vulnerabilities?"

----------

Exactly.

http://www.unhappybirthday.com/

Just be sure, if you want to do what the chick in the Apple commercial does, that you have your lawyer run the concept past the rights holder, and pay to secure any necessary agreements, as necessary.

You may not like that this is the world we live in, but it is. People standing around ignoring that this kind of BS is going on, or worse, denying, or even agreeing with it, is why everything is so messed up now.

Um, did you reply to the wrong post? Not mocking, just sincerely curious.

thirteen1031

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2004
It's just so unrealistic. If I was the kid in that ad, my parents would've taken my phone away.
Not at all. I have a sister-in-law who always brought a book with her to the big--and I do mean BIG--Thanksgiving dinner. Everyone in the family knew that at some point she would have had enough of socializing and she'd hide away with the book. That was her, the introvert. No one ever forced her to participate in the socializing beyond her comfort level.

There are parents who "understand" that getting a certain kid to come to such an event is as good as they're going to manage. Getting him to participate by, say, taking away his book or phone, is only going to make him more resentful of the event, not grateful and part of it. So they don't take it away.

"Misunderstood," however, does show the boy helping out his sister, etc. He's not entirely disrespectful or rude. And we can't be sure that the "Misunderstood" label isn't us, the viewers, rather than everyone else in the video. Maybe they all know what he's doing with that phone and approve. Maybe they do understand him--and we are the ones who don't until the end.

Hence, I would say that it's not as unrealistic as you think it is. It's just "personally" unrealistic. Your family wouldn't stand for it, but I know families that would be fine with it. They'd assume that the kid was of an age where he needs to be in that shell, and that so long as he's there, helping out his sister, it's all good.

laurim

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2003
Minnesota USA
Everything is offensive to someone. I miss the days when someone would say they were offended and the other person just said, "Too bad."

That happens all the time. There are even pictures to post:

Funny-meme-If-one-of-my-jokes-offends-you.jpg

AR-Offended_Internet-932x752.jpg

laurim

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2003
Minnesota USA
Like I said.. to some people. Not to me. Not to a lot of gay people I know. Being "offended" is basically just looking to whine about something.

Easy to say when you are basically on top of the power pyramid... it's easy to brush off insults when you know you are in the power role. That's why straight white males don't understand why what they do and say is so hurtful to everyone else. And just because some people say it doesn't bother them doesn't less the need to stop doing it, especially when doing it serves no valuable purpose other than the vanity (or insecurity) of the person doing it. Your online name kind of says it all about you.

baummer

macrumors 65816
Jan 18, 2005
Southern California
Easy to say when you are basically on top of the power pyramid... it's easy to brush off insults when you know you are in the power role. That's why straight white males don't understand why what they do and say is so hurtful to everyone else. And just because some people say it doesn't bother them doesn't less the need to stop doing it, especially when doing it serves no valuable purpose other than the vanity (or insecurity) of the person doing it. Your online name kind of says it all about you.

I'm a straight white male and do not believe your sweeping characterization of straight white males is accurate. I actually agree with most of what you've been saying in this thread (despite its departure from the point of the post which is the ad itself).

laurim

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2003
Minnesota USA
I'm a straight white male and do not believe your sweeping characterization of straight white males is accurate. I actually agree with most of what you've been saying in this thread (despite its departure from the point of the post which is the ad itself).

Sorry I can't put an exact percentage on it but many straight white men have exhibited a lack of ability to empathize with people unlike them, especially when it involves a suggestion they change a behavior they apparently enjoy and want to continue doing. The behavior isn't limited to straight white males, btw, we all identify with our own kind better than others but straight white males tend to cry "unfair" the loudest when people point out their unpleasant behavior. Maybe it's the testosterone and the fear that they are quickly becoming outnumbered and less powerful... seriously, why defend the right to exhibit an offensive behavior of no value except to be a tool?

Ljohnson72

macrumors 6502a
Dec 21, 2008
Denver, Co
Like I said.. to some people. Not to me. Not to a lot of gay people I know. Being "offended" is basically just looking to whine about something.

No... It's offensive no matter which way you slice it.

When you say "that's gay" as an insult, it makes being gay an "insult" or something negative. Grow up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.