Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tucom

Cancelled
Original poster
Jul 29, 2006
So, for the first time ever, my 2009 27 iMac beach balled/got hung up right after I pressed enter after entering my PW.

2009 27"

i7 2.8Ghz

16GB RAM

Crucial MX100 256GB SSD

Radeon HD 4850

Running Mavericks 10.9.5, and has been flawless besides this. I'm curious if anyone else has had anything like this happen, regardless of their model of Mac? Anyone have any ideas as to why this may have happened?

This only happened ONCE - will update if it happens again.

I had to hard reboot it (power it off holding down the power button, then turn it back on). Never like to do that.

sharon22

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2014
Whenever something like this happens, MAKE NOTE of the EXACT time (why am I typing in all caps?), erm ... make note of the exact time the problem happens. Then, when you finally get it up and running, go into Applications --> Utilities, and fire up Console.

When you are in Console, make sure ALL system messages are displayed, and scroll through to that EXACT time the problem happened.

All the clues are in there. You'll see exactly what your computer was busy doing while you were watching that beachball.

Go look now. Post back what you see. You got me curious! :D

Tucom

Cancelled
Original poster
Jul 29, 2006
Good info, thanks! I however have since wiped the SSD and installed Yosmite, which is GREAT! The performance improvements are noticeable, and overall is running as well if not better than Mavericks. Much better than the previous install of Yosemite I had running on here, which made me revert back to Mavericks, however now, there's no reason to.

If it happens again, I'll update this thread.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.